Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
I totally scored on five Pedrinni (gas-burner) alloys this weekend for my 914. I also found a 1973 dealership booklet about the 914 and on the cover is what my car originally looked like (see my avitar). Now, it appears my car came with some Appearance Package items (roll bar trim, fogs, chrome bumpers, dual tone horns) but didn't seem to get the center console. Then again, if it did come with the console it would've been a 914S and had a 2.0L (my badging says 1.7L). My confusion lies (lays?) in the wheels. It may have come with steel rims but the cover shows the Pedrinnis. If the 2.0L got the 2-litre Fuchs then what got the gas-burners? Was that another rim option or ¿?

So...can we get a definitive list of the rims available, along with a quality picture, for each year/car?
Air_Cooled_Nut
And speaking of 914 info, what about paint options available per car per year? Interior colors?
MarkV
Steel wheels were standard unless you bought a 73 2.0, they came with Fuchs. I think Black was the standard color interior all other colors were a option. Paint colors are here:

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html
Brad Roberts
Jeroen.. is only ASKED to add "content" to the site during the winter months.. hang in there. Time permiting... lots will be added within the next 3 months.

B
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(MarkV @ Oct 19 2003, 09:05 PM)
Steel wheels were standard unless you bought a 73 2.0, they came with Fuchs. I think Black was the standard color interior all other colors were a option. Paint colors are here:

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html

WOW! Excellent page!!
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 19 2003, 09:40 PM)
Jeroen.. is only ASKED to add "content" to the site during the winter months.. hang in there. Time permiting... lots will be added within the next 3 months.

B

Groovy clap56.gif
Brad Roberts
Basically over the last 10 months of existence we have gathered a short list on what will be added to the site this winter.

The focus is Ecommerce right now for hats/shirts/BS.

B
Jeroen
I've got some usefull stuff to add to the "914 info" pages
Some good general info on the 914/6 GT, 916 and 914/8
Paint codes as well

I think some wheel info would be usefull to put up as well.
We've had that talk a little while back already where people posted pics, so I'll have to search, but we'll get there

There are some requests on the "feature requests" forum that we will dig into too

There's plans to add a members gallerie as well and we will put up a page with links to member sites and sites with general 914 info

Prolly more that I can't think of right now... so we won't be bored this winter biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Curvie Roadlover
IIRC "gas burners" were the 5 lug Mahles, not pedrinis.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Oct 20 2003, 04:53 AM)

That is correct. My 73 1.7, came with all the goodies. Pedrini's, sail vinyl, leather steering wheel and shift boot. It also had a factory console, but without the gauges.
GWN7
I always thought that Fuchs, sail vinal, chrome bumpers, ect were options on the earlier cars and only came as fully dressed on the LE's and on the 76's

You ordered the full monty car and added what options that were avaiable in each year. For example you could order Fuchs and have chrome bumpers if that was what you wanted and your bank account could only afford.
TheCabinetmaker
I didn't order anything. That's the way it was the first time I saw it. The dealership had 4 of them in different colors. IIRC they all had pedrini's, chrome bumpers, fog lights,etc. The invoice said no charge on everything. The 2.0 however, was $400.00 more than the 1.7L
GWN7
It was probably ordered as a dealer car. Each Dealer could order what they thought would sell in their area. The guy doing the ordering probably liked the pedrini's better than the Fuchs. We need to find a Porsche salesman from the 70's who would know.

I had a 72 GMC pickup that had power windows but no power steering. The dealership had 5 of them like that. The PW & the PS line on the orderform was next to each other and the guy ticked the wrong box. Got a great deal on the truck.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 20 2003, 03:38 AM)
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Oct 20 2003, 04:53 AM)

That is correct. My 73 1.7, came with all the goodies. Pedrini's, sail vinyl, leather steering wheel and shift boot. It also had a factory console, but without the gauges.

So Mahls are five lug a.k.a. gas burners? Then the 4 lug rims I have are Pedrinis...correct? No, wait...okay, WTF do I have???

They're not steel. I checked 'em w/a magnet and they're no-stick wink.gif One of the ushers at the swap meet area helped me load the rims in the truck and asked what they were for. "Porsche," I replied. "Oh, that explains why they are so light!" smilie_flagge6.gif

Ooh, ooh, while we're at it, I took a magnet to the current 8-spoke rims on my car and it didn't stick to the rims, suggesting an alloy rim. I find that weird as I expected it to be steel. Yes, I did test the rare-earth magnet on the car body and it stuck.

confused24.gif
seanery
mahle made 4 and 5 lug versions.
pedrini looks similar to 4 lug mahle. easy difference is that on one of them (can't remember which) is that every other rib continues to center of wheel.
Curvie Roadlover
I think only the 5 lug Mahles were called the "gas burners"
JWest
914 wheels 101:

#1 Early steel - used chrome VW hubcap with no "VW" stamped in it
#6 Late steel "sport" - used a little black plastic center cap
#11 Pedrini - up to '73 cast aluminum wheel - available with and without hub centering
#12 Fuchs forged aluminum "2.0 wheel"
#13 Mahle cast aluminum wheel - replaced Pedrini

#11, 12, and 13 all used the same small, plain metal center cap that was way too easy to get bent up and ugly.
JWest
And 5 lug:

#1 Steel with hubcap as used on early 911
#9 Fuchs forged aluminum - sometimes called a "windmill"
#10 Mahle cast magnesium "Gas-burner"
Charles Deutsch
Four-lug VW Wheels
fiid
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Oct 20 2003, 01:41 AM)
I've got some usefull stuff to add to the "914 info" pages
Some good general info on the 914/6 GT, 916 and 914/8
Paint codes as well

I think some wheel info would be usefull to put up as well.
We've had that talk a little while back already where people posted pics, so I'll have to search, but we'll get there

There are some requests on the "feature requests" forum that we will dig into too

There's plans to add a members gallerie as well and we will put up a page with links to member sites and sites with general 914 info

Prolly more that I can't think of right now... so we won't be bored this winter biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen

I think we should put together a knowledge base on how to do various things with the car - common problems, common upgrade paths with pros and cons of each upgrade, etc. A lot of things get covered with threads, but then you have to read through the threads to extract the value. Something sort of like the pelican parts articles, but with better UI and better searching.

I would be happy to put some articles together for it.

I've also been thinking of putting a PDF together of all the useful diagrams that are around, so it can be printed out and put in a binder for garage use (not everyone has a computer in their garage like I do :-) (GEEK) ).

Just a thought,

Fiid.
boldblue.gif
Jeroen
eh... yep tech articles were on the list as well biggrin.gif
if you got anything, shoot 'em my way please

I like the pdf file idea

cheers,

Jeroen
fiid
PDF: I have it in word right now - I'll lay it out in a dtp package and see what I can do. I can brand it 914club as well :-)

Tech articles - I'll see what I can do.

l8r,

Fiid.
Jeroen
Send it in Word, that way I can convert it to both HTML (for the site) and to PFD (to print)

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
PDF is the plan. I want people to be able to download them and actually print it off and USE it.

We have the Adobe software to convert everything to PDF.

B
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 20 2003, 12:15 PM)

And FIVE lugs here!

Thanks. I'll need to check my rims when I get home. The VW ones are Empi. I'm pretty sure my Porsche ones are Mahle. Thanks dudes.

Glad to also see that things are in the works for more 914 Info. Details, pictures/illustrations and facts without the conversations to bloat the context...cool! driving.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
SHA-WEET! I just checked all five rims and they ALL have the VW logo, 914 part number, and MAHLE cast on them on the inside of the rim!!! beer.gif

Thanks for your help, y'all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.