Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-2006 Woodward Dream Cruise in MI Aug 19th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TJB/914
Hey Michigan Car Guys.

The largest gathering in the USA is about to begain in Michigan Saturday August 19th. 2006. That is the official date with over 1-1/2 million people lining the streets of Woodward Ave along the 16 miles of Woodward Ave from the city limits of Detroit to Pontiac, MI.

That's the official date, but it's already started in small numbers this week. 40,000 thousand Muscle Cars, Street Rods, Customs, Collector & Special Interest cars will be here from all over the USA, Canada & International. It's a car happening that words can't describe.

I finally got Insurance today on the 914 & cleared my schedule for the Dream Cruise. I plan to start cruising next week Tues the 15th & Wed the 16th. Starting Thurs the 17th. all the parking lots will be taken over by the Big Three Auto Company's. Believe me there will be huge unofficial crowds lining the street probably starting this weekend the 12th & 13th.

Now my question to (Mark, Nick, Gary, Etc. Etc.) the 914 guys. Lets coordinate a meeting place and cruise together???? I suggest we meet the 15th or 16th at Woodward & 13-Mile rds in the SW-corner parking lot. Plan to come early because it's full by 5:00 P.M.

Tom
BTW: I did this back in the late 50's & early 60's. Back then I didn't know I was having so much fun. We we just kids having fun. Still haven't grown up.

Here's the web site
www.woodwarddreamcruise.com
TJB/914
Yep, they are starting to cruise. I put insurance on the 914 today & went for a little ride down Woodward. Stopped to compare my Yellow with a 1958 Vette.

Offer to cruise next Tues the 15th or Wed. the 16th. Let me know 914er's. I need a little help from the V/8 powered 914's. There is some bad ass muscle out there.

Tom
T/R racer
I live in Birmingham and am looking for a '73 2.0. Know of any in Michigan area for sale? I'll drive my 911 by on Tues and Wednesday to see if you are there.

Jim
marks914
Tom,
Im in Ferndale, 8 and Woodward.

I will be around that weekend but there is just too many people to go out on Saturday. i probably have to work anyway. Can't believe working for a car company that I will be working dream cruise weekend.

The 15th and 16th are good with me, you can't park at the Northwood lot (13 and Woodward) the landlords have the cops chase you away. I can be there after work (6pm ish)

maybe meet at Pasqualies or Murrays?
we could even meet at my house.

Mark

TJB/914
Hi Mark & Jim.

I'll get more info for next week Tues or Wed. Last year the parking lot on the S.W.Corner allowed cars up to Wednesday. The Chrysler Corp take it over on Thursday. I'll check it out & call Eric @ AutoZone book store @ 14-mile. Maybe we can meet there. I'll let everyone know Monday & will give you my cell phone #.

This is the granddaddy orgy of cruising.

Tom
TJB/914
Mark your are correct the Royal Oak Police are keeping all cruiser's away from 13-mile & Woodward. They are real pissie types in Royal Oak. Everyone is moving further North. I talked to Eric @ Auto Zone (auto book store) one block North of 14-Mile on the East side of Woodward. We can meet at his place, say btwn. 6:00 P.M. & 6:30 P.M. on Wednesday the 16th. my cell phone # (734) 834-5606

I took a short drive up Woodward this afternoon. It's (8) days before the official event cars are out in numbers. Real exciting to smell racing fuel, loud engines with lots of muscle & the sound of blower motors. Gets the heart pumping with excitement being next to moving cars. Love those muscle cars, rat rods & street rods. Very few Porsche's were out. Here's a few pictures of what to expect next week, but bigger. As it gets busy it will take one hours to go one mile because so many cars are on the street. popcorn[1].gif

Tom
TJB/914
Followed this tubed 57 Chev & he smoked the tires away from the light. Didn't get that picture was too busy getting out of the way. Check the size of those tires!!!
More Pics.

Tom
TJB/914
How about a few more pictures popcorn[1].gif

Wait till next week when more cars are in town.

Tom
TJB/914
I love flames & Mercs.

Anyone have flames on a 914???

Tom
TJB/914
Went Woodward Cruising again this afternoon. It's addictive with all those beautiful street machines rolling down the highway.

Here's a group of the new Ford GT's

Tom
T/R racer
Just got off Woodward - it is packed with cars! American Muscle rules tonight.

I'll plan on Wednesday night at Auto Zone. See you then. I'll be in a meteor grey '86 Carrera.

Jim
TJB/914
Jim,

See you there (did you get my cell phone #). I still can't get this one off my mind when he light up those big tires in front of me & lifted the front end off the ground. I was behind him & wish I could have got that picture. Serious Muscle!!!!!

Tom
BTW: Someone said Race Gas was @ $4.99 per gallon?? Wow
TJB/914
One more than lots next Wed.

Tom
Lou W
Keep the pictures coming. drooley.gif
dwillouby
I am planning to drive up in my V8 conversion from KY early Sat. never made this cruise before. How bad will traffic be?

David
Nickm1
I'll try to make it out durring the week. Traffic is a real joke. 99% of the cars on saturday are minivans. Your best bet is to park a mile away and walk the shoulder to look at the cool cars. The only good year was the first. Now the one to see is Gratiot but that one already happened. They block off the center lanes and only let pre registered cars drive in that lane.
marks914
Tom,
I will be there on Wed. right after work, about 6:30.

david-
Traffic on Woodward is horriffic. it is a crawl form 10 mile to 16 mile.
Its still worth it to see though.

Mark
Nickm1
I went tonight. Traffic isn't bad yet but one out of every 10 cars is a cop so watch your speed.
Unfortunatly i'm probbaly not going to make it on Wednesday, but will be out on tuesday and possibly Thursday.
T/R racer
I'll be at Auto Zone on Wednesday around 7:00

Jim
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

See everyone tomorrow Wed night at Auto Zone. No cruising till everybody gets there.

I went for a few hours tonight. Lots of people in the 13-mile & Woodward area. Snapped a few pictures.

Tom
TJB/914
Few more pictures popcorn[1].gif

Tom
TJB/914
few more popcorn[1].gif

Tom
TJB/914
few more popcorn[1].gif

Remember lots of pictures tomorrow when the 914's cruise.

Tom
TJB/914
See all you Porsche Cruiser's this evening @ Auto Zone on Woodward Ave one block North of 14-Mile N.E.Corner btwn 6:00 P.M. & 7:00 P.M.

"Be There"

Tom
TJB/914
Looking for this 57 chev & a street chalenge with my little 2.0 liter 914.
Yea, I know, in my dreams happy11.gif

Sure like those big tires.

Tom
TJB/914
The Good News.
I was at the Woodward Cruise last night with fellow 914er's and a few Porsche 911's showed up. Great night with lots of cruising & huge crowds.

Bad News.
I took over (50) photo's that got destroyed when I installed a new Memory Card (operator error). All I have are a few of Mark, Gary Jim & myself photo's. The one I really wanted to show was a white 1967 912 with a 6-cyl engine. It was a beauty with lots of modifications, sweet car, sure hated to lose those photo's.

Here's a few pictures of our guys before I screwed up my camera. I'll be at the cruise this Saturday the 19th & will take more photo's.

Tom
TJB/914
More

Tom
TJB/914
I am back after a long day at the Woodward Dream Cruise. Rained & light mist all morning till about 2:00 P.M. Cloudy day & sun came out for about 1-hr. Didn't stop the big party along the 16-mile stretch of Woodward Ave. Lots of great cars, pretty girls on every corner, rock & roll music, bands & everyone in a party mood. I just don't understand why so many cars were running in the rain?? I didn't take mine today. Guess the amateurs were out today & us serious street racers were out early this week. I'll start with a little something to build interest. How about a few pictures of the pretty ladies??? If you guys don't mind looking at american muscle, because P-cars were not present. Stop me if you find this boring. I'll post a few tonight & more tomorrow. I took (150) photo's.

Tom
BEE DRIVEN
Hey Tom,
There's a new SHERIFF IN TOWN!!!!
I hope you don't mind me posting a few photos of the cruise from tonight.
I had one hour there at 7:00pm to 8:00,and managed to take alittle over 100 photos,but I thought these few are not of the normal,and that is good.

Nick
TJB/914
more popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
more popcorn[1].gif
URY914
Great photos, keep them coming.
BEE DRIVEN
Hey Tom,
From what I understand the NEW SHERIFF was looking for a little yellow car with chrome wheels,and bumpers.

Nick
TJB/914
more popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
more popcorn[1].gif
BEE DRIVEN
Hey Tom,
Great photos!!! But I think this SHERIFF is looking for you.... I had to hold back on those kind of photos,but keep them coming.

Nick
TJB/914
Hi Nick,

Words can't describe what it's like on Woodward, you have to be there with the smell of fuel & total excitment on the street.

Nick, post as many as you have. I am going to post a few more than off to bed & more tomorrow.

Tom
BEE DRIVEN
I find myself liking these kinds of creative wheels more ,and more...not the RAT ROD yet,but you can tell the dream is there.

Nick
TJB/914
More popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
More popcorn[1].gif
BEE DRIVEN
Hey Thanks Tom,
Creative wheels from other views.
TJB/914
More popcorn[1].gif
BEE DRIVEN
One more of the Creative wheels.
TJB/914
Last ones for the night. I post more tomorrow. popcorn[1].gif

Tom
BEE DRIVEN
FLAMES are a must for a street cruise.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
Flames in orange will do the trick too.
TJB/914
Ok, Nick you got me to stay for a few more popcorn[1].gif

Tom
TJB/914
Last for tonight. Wait till you see the last one. popcorn[1].gif I'll post more on both tomorrow.

Tom
BEE DRIVEN
Ok Tom,
This is the last one for me tonight. I really like the rusty rat rod at the end,the chrome job was great. I have one more Flame job.

Nick
TJB/914
Hi Again, it's Sunday & I'll post a few more this morning with more later. popcorn[1].gif

I heard on the radio this morning The Woodward Dream Cruise only had 25,000 estimated cars show up because of rain. All in all there were over 40,000 attending all during the week. Also 1-million people lined the stree yesterday in the rain. Go figure, Michigan like their "American Muscle".

Tom
BTW: Here a few more pics of the new announced Chev Camero to be out in about 2-yrs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.