Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's Your Daddy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
I'm constantly seeing threads on members on going projects, from 5 lug conversions, -6 & V-8 conversions and who knows what else. How do you guys fund your projects?

I'm currently having my 72 painted by Shebly. She's already added the steel GT flares I bought from Brad Mayeur and hopefully the Jaguar Racing Green will
be going on soon. To pay for this entire project, I've been parting out my former 74 daily driver as well as a second 74 parts car, and I've been fortunate enough to have sold some of my acquired 914 stash. To date I've recouped over $3K
which will totally pay for my project. Let me hear your stories. I promise not to tell your wives! biggrin.gif
michaelmoo
I inherited my car (many moons ago while in High School) so that didn’t cost me anything. My Dad bought the car new (I came home from the hospital in it!!) and it has only 40k miles, and was almost always garaged (ie the interior is original and looks great). It needed some TLC and I bank rolled it by stashing money away working during the summer. Now (many years later) I’m going to do a Raby engine kit/SDS/Tangerine exhaust. Now my sugar daddy is, well, kinda the same. I stash away money (yes my wife knows, she is very understanding) from my real job, manufacturing engineer. I guess it is kinda like being a kid a putting money in a piggy bank to buy a new bicycle.

Nothing feels better than saving the money and doing all on your own.
JoeSharp
If I was a slut I could not afford any of my 914 toys. Being a pro seems to work, thank god.
:PERMASLUT: Joe
BMXerror
I know I haven't dumped the wheelbarrows of money into my car that some of you guys have, but what has been spent has all come out of my pocket; money that I earned at my very real, very demanding, yet still very boring job at UPS. I'm not making very much money though, so I try to keep costs down as much as possible. I bought the car cheap($600 bucks) because it needed a considerable amount of work. I try to buy the best parts I can afford within reason, so that they don't have to be replaced as often. I also plan my project ahead in stages, so that I don't end up buying expensive parts that I'm going upgrade six months later. I think the biggest cost cutter is that I do all the work myself..... or with my brother who works for beer and good company. However, he doesn't know it yet, but when she's running, he's getting a key.
Mark D.
/L.
HELL, are there Sugar Daddy's around???? dry.gif huh.gif WHERE?
drewvw
bought mine in march and although it didn't need much, I still did a lot of the standard maintence stuff on the engine as I was learning about the car.

I'm Trying to only buy parts with money I get from selling other parts but that doesn't always work out too good....i seem to have stablized though without losing my shirt.

biggrin.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(STL914 @ Aug 9 2006, 08:46 AM) *

I'm constantly seeing threads on members on going projects, from 5 lug conversions, -6 & V-8 conversions and who knows what else. How do you guys fund your projects?

I work sad.gif

I am finding I can sell parts I don't want and get back a hell of alot of what I spent. Sold my old wheels yesterday for more then I bought the current wheels for.
gopack
THere is no doubt or debate.... My sugar daddy (momma) is my wife!

sugar from the "MOMMA"
Crazyhippy
Most of the peopple i know have a $500/month car payment... i put that into the teener... Ok maybe a little bit more....

BJH
cbenitah
Its easy! Become a Swedish citizen and then apply for a university in a foreign country. They will deposit 6K in your account every 3rd month. minus tuition and living cost = An awesome 914!

By the time I'm done with school I'll have a beautiful car. With way to much money in it biggrin.gif
JPB
Contrary to most of what you believe, I'm a nonbeer drinking, nonpartying kindan fella. I do have a glass of red wine after dinner for digestive reasons. I have a company truck to use at my own discretion with a company fuel card. That said, I am putting a car payment on the teener for parts and toys. My cap is 5K to get it running well until I get a second for road driving. This one will be Transformed into something wild for autoXing hopefully in the next few years. I work like the rest of yall.

beer.gif Gimme a SHUGA MOMA anytime.
turboman808
I'll let ya all in on a secret of sorts.

I was planing to move to Texas in the spring. I was freelancing where I am now. They really wanted me to stay and said "Whats it gonna take?"

I said "Ya know I always wanted a 914-6." biggrin.gif
SpecialK
I will be getting my funds any day now from an overthrow Nigerian Prince that needs to send his fortune to my bank account to keep the new dictorial government from getting their hands on it.........for real! My psychic said he's ligit!!

Until then.....I'll just have to sell some parts I don't need, to buy some parts I do. sad.gif

...wish that 2 mil would get here, I'll be needing to get my DD filled up at the gouge station in the next couple of days. sheeplove.gif ....I'm the ovine. wink.gif
STL914
QUOTE(SpecialK @ Aug 9 2006, 04:49 PM) *

I'll just have to sell some parts I don't need, to buy some parts I do. sad.gif

Kevin, How much do you want for one of your kidneys?
SpecialK
QUOTE(STL914 @ Aug 9 2006, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(SpecialK @ Aug 9 2006, 04:49 PM) *

I'll just have to sell some parts I don't need, to buy some parts I do. sad.gif

Kevin, How much do you want for one of your kidneys?

I don't know Gary, they got "alot" of miles on them! drunk.gif biggrin.gif
grasshopper
My parents pay for it. happy11.gif
John
I added up what it was going to take to completely rebuild a reliable 2.0 4-cylinder engine (and had Jake Raby quote it).

My wife took one look at the number and suggested that I do the 3.2 conversion that I wanted to do long term. I ended up spending less money.

Along the way, I have sold off some parts stash, sold off parts I took off my stock car, sold parts that I fabricate, work deals (like the one we have going on), and searched for the best deals (not cheapest) that I could find.

All of this combined has helped me to keep costs down. I also intentionally did not go wide-body during the -6 conversion so that I could do the fenders and paintwork once I knew everything fits together and the bugs worked out. When I do the paintwork, there will be no more welding/cutting/grinding of any kind.

So to make a long story short, my wife is my "Sugar Mamma" (quite literally as well as figuratively).
jonwatts
Short of coming up with the next Pet Rock I don't really have a chance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.