Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosch sparkplugs in a 914/6GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomburdge
I removed the plugs out of my GT (yes I am the proud owner of a real factory built one) and found Bosch plugs designated XR4CS. These are a strange breed to me.I think they are copper,resistor type,and fairly cold.But why the "X".Could it be because its twin plug, the projection into the combustion chamber must be limited or of special design?

If anyone has anyknowledge or thoughts please let me know.I'm not even sure if you can buy these anymore.Can anyone cross reference these over to another brand?

BTW for those of you who knew Gary Wigglesworth,I'm the guy who bought his GT.As most of you probably know by now,Gary passed away in February. I've vowed to remain a good steward of this piece of racing history for all to enjoy.

You can see the car at the "Zippo" at the Glen in September.If you attend please stop by and say hello.
Thanks
Tom B.
Bleyseng
"Two choices available the standard X5DC replacement plug and a one step colder XR4CS plug. XR4CS recommended for track use or high output motors." from www.bimmerworld.com/html/bosch-spark-plugs.htm

www.rockauto.com has them listed.
ChicagoPete
Hi Tom, Nice to see you on the board. Sorry I cannot help with your problem...but, was thinking that if you had any recent photos of your car you should email them off to Armando. Glad to know that another of these rare beauties is staying on the track.

Do you have any idea of what has become of Translog? I know that Gary also owned another 914/6 and a completely original dealer kit to build your own GT. At the time he was selling your car he was also offering the other one.
tomburdge
Hi Chicagopete,Thanks for responding. Translog still exists and is being managed by a fella named Tony ? who was Garys right hand man.I think the business still belongs to the family.Armando does have pictures of my car on his site,but I should send him some of the historical ones I have gathered.I am trying my best to ensure the car remains as original as possible.She is not perfect ,but thats OK with me because I don't think a race car should look like a garage queen.It should look as it did when it was raced.Some people would disagree but thats OK.
I've had her out at several events,albeit very carefully.No need to drive 10/10ths and but the car at risk.
Thanks again for your interest.
Tom B.
Jeroen
can you post some pics of your car here
(or post a link to the pics of your car on Armando's site)
Eddie914
Bosch X5DC?

My other 6 cylinder German car (1988 BMW M5) uses the X5DC.

Interesting spark plug.

X = M12x1.25 with 17.5mm (11/16") hex head
5 = Heat range
D = 19mm reach
C = Copper

Try to find an 11/16" spark plug socket at your local FLAPS ... or for that matter the X5DC.

Eddie
Eric_Shea
welcome.png
Flat VW
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

welcome.png

John wavey.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Aug 11 2006, 01:40 AM) *

can you post some pics of your car here
(or post a link to the pics of your car on Armando's site)

well, that's easy ... I thought an Admin could post a link idea.gif

biggrin.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif (sorry Jeroen)

The Daytona Winning Porsche 914-6 GT

wavey.gif Gustl
TimT
Tom welcome to the club,

that sounds like a lower plug correct?

Look in this spreadsheet.. search for X5DC... few if any subsitutes

Ill have to look in the shop but we have a car that uses 12mm lower plugs.

We now advise all customers that want to twin plug to have the heads machined for 14 mm plugs.. we currently use NGK R5671A-8 as lower plugs

ChicagoPete
QUOTE(TimT @ Aug 10 2006, 09:06 PM) *

Tom welcome to the club,

that sounds like a lower plug correct?

Look in this spreadsheet.. search for X5DC... few if any subsitutes

Ill have to look in the shop but we have a car that uses 12mm lower plugs.

We now advise all customers that want to twin plug to have the heads machined for 14 mm plugs.. we currently use NGK R5671A-8 as lower plugs

TimT...you are advising using 14mm lower plugs, but, don't you find you have clearance problems with the bigger plugs during removal and replacement?

Peter
TimT
you are advising using 14mm lower plugs, but, don't you find you have clearance problems with the bigger plugs during removal and replacement?

The NGK plugs we use are 14mm thread, with 5/8 hex so there are no clearance problems. If you were to use a full sized plug 14mm with 13/16 hex you can run into clearance problems with the head nuts and socket.

We found its much easier to source 14mm peanut plugs that work, than to sesarch around for rare 12mm plugs
Jake Raby
Nice to see you here, Tom!

Tom has another 914- MassIVe powreed 914-4 that competes in F production in the northeast...

sixnotfour
12mm both holes , factory race head, would be interesting to know what you got there.
Gary Wigglesworth RIP, the pano article about buying the burned race car a classic.
tomburdge
Thanks everyone for the "welcome aboard" plus your interest in my 'GT".

For those of you interested I will try to post some pic's of the GT both current and historic.Give me some time though as I am not very computer savy.I guess my "cut and paste" skills are no longer applicable in todays world.

Again the GT will be at the "Zippio"at the Glen and also at the PCA race in Daytona come Oct.Hope to see you there..

Tom B.
So.Cal.914
Congrat's on the car and welcome.
tomburdge
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 11 2006, 07:20 PM) *

12mm both holes , factory race head, would be interesting to know what you got there.
Gary Wigglesworth RIP, the pano article about buying the burned race car a classic.

What I have here is Carrera 6 motor used in the GT's. Twin plug, solid lifter puttung out 220hp at 8000 rpm.
ptravnic
Good to see another Metro NY on the board. We have gained some momentum in the past 6 months or so. A few of us are even getting together the 26th to swap the heads on my 2056cc at a shop in Lyndhurst.

Take a look @ this thread for more background:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=57889

And, welcome.png

-pt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.