Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parade AX course
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
DNHunt
For what it's worth here is the Parade course. THere were not a lot of gates or cones and plenty of time on the track at Portland. I worked 2 stints as a corner worker for the stock classes. Turn 6 was very hard for people. I didn't count but, my guess is there were 12 off's there.

I wish I was running. It looks like a lot of fun. I certainly wasn't impressed with the driving. Lots of odd lines and people braking way early. I'm sure they were intimidated. There was plenty of speed in some of the straights. Dave Darling was there and he had a good pull in 3rd before downshifting for the Chicago box.

Not a lot of 914s although there should be a fair number today.

Sorry no pics

Dave
Randal
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Aug 10 2006, 08:12 AM) *

For what it's worth here is the Parade course. THere were not a lot of gates or cones and plenty of time on the track at Portland. I worked 2 stints as a corner worker for the stock classes. Turn 6 was very hard for people. I didn't count but, my guess is there were 12 off's there.

I wish I was running. It looks like a lot of fun. I certainly wasn't impressed with the driving. Lots of odd lines and people braking way early. I'm sure they were intimidated. There was plenty of speed in some of the straights. Dave Darling was there and he had a good pull in 3rd before downshifting for the Chicago box.

Not a lot of 914s although there should be a fair number today.

Sorry no pics

Dave

I can tell the exact number of turns, but it looks like a 911 course to me. Was it as open as it looked?

DNHunt
Yep
J P Stein
The highest "911" was a GT3 in 3rd OA I think.
Tom Provosi was TTOD, followed by Leeds Gulick.

I looked like sumthin' that fell out of a tall cow's ass.....Brit fell from a shorter cow. pain30.gif
J P Stein
For the time junkies off the top of my head:
914 class winners that I know of.
Provasi @ 54 & change M5
Gulick @ 55 M4
Nielsoney@ 59 M1

Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 11 2006, 10:04 AM) *

Provasi @ 54 & change M5
Gulick @ 55 M4
Nielsoney@ 59 M1

It looked like a big time HP course. Bill's 911 would have done OK.
nine14cats
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 11 2006, 10:04 AM) *

Provasi @ 54 & change M5
Gulick @ 55 M4
Nielsoney@ 59 M1

JP,

What were the times that you and Britain put up?

biggrin.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
WHOA!

Was Steves car running bad?? or was the course too big for his setup??

Yeah..!! where did JP and Britain place?

B
Rough_Rider
It was a treat to watch the big guns in M classes duking it out. JP & Brit we're having difficulty getting clean runs looked like to much oversteer.

Course did favour HP however those turns are extremly tricky multi apex suckers. Plus we placed gates off racing line & in the case of festival turn completly off the course in run off area.
It should have been a smart drivers course. Wish i could've given it a go, instead i played starter & course control for 2 days. Good to put names to faces, I hope you al had some fun :-)

L8tr
Trev.

Ohh & there was a beauty of a Ruf Turbo 650hp that ever so nearly staked it backwards into the wall.. High pucker factor....
Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 11 2006, 11:17 AM) *

WHOA!

Was Steves car running bad?? or was the course too big for his setup??

Yeah..!! where did JP and Britain place?

B

Looking at the map... very few corners. In a drag race open type course, Tom P will have a huge advantage over Steve N, i.e., check it out - 04 seconds!!!!!.

And while a 650HP whatever (heavy car) will look interesting it will never corner with Tom P's big slicked fairly light weight 914. And Tom Provasi can drive, so tough combination to beat.

I would like to see the JP GROUP times.

J P Stein
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Aug 11 2006, 11:12 AM) *

JP,
What were the times that you and Britain put up? biggrin.gif
Bill P.

I wuz hopin' for some slack biggrin.gif ....oh well.

Near as I can figure, the rear tairs went tits up. They are bout 3 years old.
Big time Osteer.
Brit spun off twice & I missed 2nd gear twice and DNFed the only time I didn't....all in all, a shitty day...can't take the pressure I guess.
Brit had a 63 & I had a 66 on our last runs.

Gonna swap out the rears for Saturday's event & it soma' that tiar goop.
grantsfo
Tom did similar thing to our times on the big HP course that Trekkor recently designed at Marina. There were a couple of cars able to get within 5 seconds of him. His car definitely has more juice than Steve N or Andrew B on a course that is open and demands HP. Tom's AX driving seems to be better this year too. ...Just another one of those slow Nor Cal PCA guys.
Brad Roberts
He is amazing. He rarely shows up to the events (besides zone events). I rarely saw him at track events.. he has been doing this a LONG time. I watched him clean house at the Texas parade back in 04.

I ran across Larry Sharps old 914 "Automotion" AutoX car a few events back. Thought it looked familiar minus some graphics. Larry was SUPER fast in it.

Seat time seat time seat time.

You cannot beat NORCAL for seat time.

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 11 2006, 12:12 PM) *

Looking at the map... very few corners. In a drag race open type course, Tom P will have a huge advantage over Steve N, i.e., check it out - 04 seconds!!!!!.

And while a 650HP whatever (heavy car) will look interesting it will never corner with Tom P's big slicked fairly light weight 914. And Tom Provasi can drive, so tough combination to beat.

I would like to see the JP GROUP times.

I'll see if I can get the M4 times.

There were 2 straights.....both up to 80ish.
Those long sweepers seemed like they went on forever (longer when you're fighting oversteer w00t.gif ). Granted, there were no intestinal tracts, but none of courses I've driven have them.

I haven't had a long look at the results, but IIRC, there were only 6-8 cars in the 50s. Since 3 of those (at least) were 914s, I think you could call it a 914 course biggrin.gif All 3 of these are well set up & driven to win at AX. Randy Wells' early 9eleben was 2nd in M4.....57 flatish....another car that meets the criteria. The times reflect that.

Ya think this course was a problem? Wait till you see what the SD Region offers next year. biggrin.gif
Steve_7x
Results have been posted:

http://www.pca.org/parade/2006/results/AutoCrossResults.rtf

Course was way faster then what we see in Nor Cal... 3rd gear at or near redline from Turn 4 through the timing light. Shifted from 2nd to 3rd, then to 2nd, back to 3rd, then back to 2nd then 3rd from Turn 4 on out. My Car was getting light going around the corners... clearly my setings is made for quick courses with lots of changes - not for sustained high speed cornering.

I was pleased with my 59... but given another run I could have gotten into the 58's, but there was no way to keep up with 2.8liter and up crowd.

Glen Brooksby gave Tom Provasi a good run for the money, and only 0.3 seconds seperated the 2 of them. Leeds was another second further back.

By my count I believe I finished 7th overall... Not bad for 1st time on a track with the car and 2000cc's. It was fun! clap56.gif

Steve
grantsfo
QUOTE(Steve_7x @ Aug 14 2006, 12:40 PM) *

Course was way faster then what we see in Nor Cal... 3rd gear at or near redline from Turn 4 through the timing light. Shifted from 2nd to 3rd, then to 2nd, back to 3rd, then back to 2nd then 3rd from Turn 4 on out. My Car was getting light going around the corners... clearly my setings is made for quick courses with lots of changes - not for sustained high speed cornering.

I was pleased with my 59... but given another run I could have gotten into the 58's, but there was no way to keep up with 2.8liter and up crowd.

Glen Brooksby gave Tom Provasi a good run for the money, and only 0.3 seconds seperated the 2 of them. Leeds was another second further back.

By my count I believe I finished 7th overall... Not bad for 1st time on a track with the car and 2000cc's. It was fun! clap56.gif

Steve

Great driving! Too bad it was such a fast course. Funny, while I drive a six now I'm always rooting for the fast T4 cars. I'm more of a lightweight T4 AX fan. Must come from my early days around Dwight Mitchell and his fast T4 AX car in the late Seventies.

Looks like Nor Cal regions had great representation. Even Dave Darling grabing 2nd in his class!
drgchapman
Steve, you kicked ass!
On saturday after you left, we had lunch and went back to finish. Your time held up for first place. Great fun watching you drive, what a maniac!

Joe Ricard
That would never make it past the Safety Stewards here. Maybe because we usually have a large number of novice "invinsible" Street touring guys fresh from last nights drift event.
Randal
QUOTE(Steve_7x @ Aug 14 2006, 12:40 PM) *

Steve

Steve, remember how fast Glen's car was up at Reno? Matt L. sure can build motors and cars that handle. If I remember correctly you won that day, given a few more corners to equal the playing field.

I still think Bill's car (2200lbs) would have been competitive. But Tom Provasi does have all the bullets; at least for the time being. Light weight, huge motor and HP, HUGE SLICKS and driving ability.

drgchapman
But Tom Provasi does have all the bullets; at least for the time being. Light weight, huge motor and HP, HUGE SLICKS and driving ability.

And a really BIG WING. I looked at his car as he was pouring a bunch of race gas in it. Old worn out strut bushings on top in front, huge gas tank, tires were several years old. A lot of "old tech". Motor is a 3.5 liter built. Car could have been preped, I don't think he did much more than hook up the trailer and bring it up to Portland. Dude can drive, so can his wife.

I think there is some thing to the wing thing.

I can't remember, does Steve N's car have a wing? He drives like a bat out of hell as well, in fact so does his wife. Car sounds great..........for a 4 banger.
DanT
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Aug 14 2006, 07:05 PM) *

But Tom Provasi does have all the bullets; at least for the time being. Light weight, huge motor and HP, HUGE SLICKS and driving ability.

And a really BIG WING. I looked at his car as he was pouring a bunch of race gas in it. Old worn out strut bushings on top in front, huge gas tank, tires were several years old. A lot of "old tech". Motor is a 3.5 liter built. Car could have been preped, I don't think he did much more than hook up the trailer and bring it up to Portland. Dude can drive, so can his wife.

I can't remember, does Steve N's car have a wing? He drives like a bat out of hell as well, in fact so does his wife. Car sounds great..........for a 4 banger.

Tom is fast in anything he drives....

yes his car is OLD tech....but it still gets the job done.
If he didn't change is tires after the Marina AX....those a 2+ year old slicks.
Steve's car is probably much better preparred but obviously lacking in the HP department.
Makes Steve's time more impressive...

I would love to see Steve's car with a 4 cylinder stoker motor in it....that would be a great ride.

More along the lines of what Randal is building... biggrin.gif

Dave-O
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 14 2006, 06:32 PM) *

That would never make it past the Safety Stewards here. Maybe because we usually have a large number of novice "invinsible" Street touring guys fresh from last nights drift event.

You better watch yourself talking about street touring guys ar15.gif biggrin.gif . FWIW, the Street Mod classes were also designed for "tuners"...look what they've become on the national level...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 14 2006, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Aug 14 2006, 07:05 PM) *

Tom is fast in anything he drives....

yes his car is OLD tech....but it still gets the job done.
If he didn't change is tires after the Marina AX....those a 2+ year old slicks.
Steve's car is probably much better preparred but obviously lacking in the HP department.
Makes Steve's time more impressive...

I would love to see Steve's car with a 4 cylinder stoker motor in it....that would be a great ride.

More along the lines of what Randal is building... biggrin.gif

I bet Steve is fast in anything he drives as well... No wing. I have never asked why but I would bet if something isn't there it is because it isn't needed on that car. That is why the car doesn't do track days... It has very little cooling.
The motor on that car is basically stock if I understand correctly. Unless something happened that I don't know about Joy is not a wife yet. But I bet that will happen too smile.gif
Steve_7x
I only have a duck tail - not an effective aero device... good for autocross but not for PIR...

Joy and I are not married... getting closer but not there yet ;-) only a matter of time.

Engine was getting pretty hot considering how cool the ambient temp was. Engine and car are old school - no new technology - seeing as how it was built in the 80's. My only updates are new 911 enduro valve springs during my rebuild and a triggerless ignition. Engine uses mostly stock components... Euro P&C's, stock unflowed heads and valves, crank etc...

If someone wants to provide a stoker engine I'll run it... driving.gif

Reno has given us some great battles.... Randall not sure which event you mean... one year Glenn was their as was Jim Hayes - both in Matt prepared 911's. I beat Jim on Sat, and Jim beat me on Sunday... both days Glen took TTOD. Another year Matt came out with the Blue Turbo and I barely beat him, and Tom nipped me another time when he went and changed to his fresh rubber. Another time Bill gave me a run for the money. I hope to run their again - great course!

I think Bill's car, either the 911 or his old 914-6 would have done very well this parade.

Grant... ah nostalgia - I remember the Zaccone/Maas 914-6 zoomy, Gary Walton's 914-4 2.5liter special, the Newlin real lightweight 914-4 and of course I was lucky to get the Reitmeir 914. I remember when Dwight ran the green 914 before he got the Orange 911 that Pat Costin bought. Dwight really knew how maximize his equipment.

JP - will we see you at the Murph????

Steve
J P Stein
QUOTE(Steve_7x @ Aug 15 2006, 05:44 PM) *

Steve

Boy, I don't know, that's a long haul for 150 bucks & 3 runs. I learned that not much else at Parade interests me.

You're more likely to see me at Mather or Marina next spring. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Steve_7x @ Aug 15 2006, 05:44 PM) *

I only have a duck tail - not an effective aero device... good for autocross but not for PIR...

Joy and I are not married... getting closer but not there yet ;-) only a matter of time.

Engine was getting pretty hot considering how cool the ambient temp was. Engine and car are old school - no new technology - seeing as how it was built in the 80's. My only updates are new 911 enduro valve springs during my rebuild and a triggerless ignition. Engine uses mostly stock components... Euro P&C's, stock unflowed heads and valves, crank etc...

If someone wants to provide a stoker engine I'll run it... driving.gif

Reno has given us some great battles.... Randall not sure which event you mean... one year Glenn was their as was Jim Hayes - both in Matt prepared 911's. I beat Jim on Sat, and Jim beat me on Sunday... both days Glen took TTOD. Another year Matt came out with the Blue Turbo and I barely beat him, and Tom nipped me another time when he went and changed to his fresh rubber. Another time Bill gave me a run for the money. I hope to run their again - great course!

I think Bill's car, either the 911 or his old 914-6 would have done very well this parade.

Grant... ah nostalgia - I remember the Zaccone/Maas 914-6 zoomy, Gary Walton's 914-4 2.5liter special, the Newlin real lightweight 914-4 and of course I was lucky to get the Reitmeir 914. I remember when Dwight ran the green 914 before he got the Orange 911 that Pat Costin bought. Dwight really knew how maximize his equipment.

Steve

Steve, I was thinking about the last time we ran the autox at Stead. What two or three year ago now. Matt wasn't there but Bill running his 914 and Glenn were there. Remember that long straight? We ran it backwards on Sunday and you were moaning (announcing) about me running the open super trap exhaust.... Yea it was loud, but now I'm into quiet. laugh.gif
Steve_7x
Randal - I remember that loud exhaust! That was Joy's 1st year at Autocrossing. I don't recall Glen being there - I thought it was Matt Lowrance in the light blue 911 Turbo (600hp or something ungodly)... but then again - my memory has failed me more then once this year so I am on a roll. ;-)

JP - I hear ya... it is a long haul. We are hoping that Mather opens up for us again next year... stay tuned!

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.