Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I remove the switches on the dash?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HeavyHeavy
Hello.

I want to remove the metal dash trim plates from my dash.
You know the ones that are covered with the basket weave
vinyl. It looks like I'll need to remove the switches for
the lights and windshield wipers and the cigarette lighter.

Can someone tell me what I'll need to do to remove those?

Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
Unscrew the bezels. While possible with thin profile curved needle nose pliers, a pin wrench is made for the purpose. The Cap'n
TINCAN914
Unscrew the knobs. Once off, there is a washer looking plate with two small grooves towards the center hole. If you have a set of needle nose pliers, put those tips in those grooves, and turn counter clockwise, the center is threaded for the switch. keep turning and the washer will come off. smile.gif
HeavyHeavy
Thanks. I'll give it a try when I get home.
grasshopper
you can also use a penny to unscrew the retaining ring. Easier, and less chance of scratching the ring.
HeavyHeavy
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 10 2006, 10:37 AM) *

you can also use a penny to unscrew the retaining ring. Easier, and less chance of scratching the ring.

How would that work?

I'm not sure what you mean.
lapuwali
On some of the switches, the shaft is sunken below the retaining ring when you unscrew the knob. On other switches, it protrudes. You could use a penny on the sunken switches, but not on the others. Scratching the retaining ring is pretty easy. It's also easy to cross-thread them, so go slow.

Unscrewing the knob sometimes takes what seems to be excessive force, but they do unscrew.
grasshopper
agree.gif when reinstalling them go SLOW..... I have cross-threaded 3 or 4 now...
John
In place of a pin wrench, I have used a washer with a slot cut in one side so that it can be placed over the headlight switch shaft. It works like a charm. It took only a minute or so to make my home-brewed tool. I want to say a 1/2" flat washer, but that may be too thick to fit the slot.
STL914
I've used a snap ring pliers with good results when removing the switches from my parts cars.
flesburg
The cigarette lighter is held in differently. It has a circlip around it that holds it in place. You will have to crawl under the dash or use a mirror to see it. Disconnect the wires first and push the housing toward the rear of the car until you get the circlip loose, and you may have to push it out all of the way while wiggling on the circlip, but it will come out. To reinstall, put the housing in the hole, slide on the circlip and push it on the housing until it is snug and then reattach the wiring.
terrymason
wanna sell that wiper switch?
HeavyHeavy
Thanks for the info.

I didn't see the one about the cigarette lighter until
today, but I figured it out last night. I just put some
curved needle nose behind the lip on the front of the
cigarette lighter and pried it forward. Luckily for me that
lip was strong enough to pull forward without bending.
HeavyHeavy
QUOTE(terrymason @ Aug 10 2006, 06:27 PM) *

wanna sell that wiper switch?

Actually I need that one. I have another car that I'm using
for parts now. The car is complete, so I don't know if I'll
be parting it out or selling it all at once.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(bmunday @ Aug 10 2006, 08:32 AM) *

Unscrew the knobs. Once off, there is a washer looking plate with two small grooves towards the center hole.

I just want to be sure here ~ the knobs themselves (headlights, hazards, fogs) unscrew? I tried with a fair amount of force and they didn't budge. Does it matter if they're pulled out or not? I'm afriad I'm going to break it. unsure.gif

I must not fear, for fear is the mind killer.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 2 2007, 05:51 PM) *

Unscrew the knobs. Once off, there is a washer looking plate with two small grooves towards the center hole.

I just want to be sure here ~ the knobs themselves (headlights, hazards, fogs) unscrew?

yes, they unscrew out of the switch ....
bye1.gif Andy
Lavanaut
Can anyone suggest any tips/tricks to prevent the housings for these knobs, that sit behind the dash face, from falling and becoming unreachable when you remove the knobs themselves? I can't see a way to get at some of them at all from behind.

Also, the cigarette lighter ~ once removed, how does one go about getting it back through the circular 'clip' that holds it in place on the inside of the dash? confused24.gif

Thanks in advance

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Aug 2 2007, 06:51 PM) *

I just want to be sure here ~ the knobs themselves (headlights, hazards, fogs) unscrew? I tried with a fair amount of force and they didn't budge. Does it matter if they're pulled out or not? I'm afriad I'm going to break it. unsure.gif

I must not fear, for fear is the mind killer.

Yes, Muadib, they do unscrew counter clockwise. Use some force...Oooop's wrong book.

Can anyone suggest any tips/tricks to prevent the housings for these knobs, that sit behind the dash face, from falling and becoming unreachable when you remove the knobs themselves? I can't see a way to get at some of them at all from behind.

You eather have A/C or you have sasquatch hands, eather way the wiring loom

usually held mine in place.

TINCAN914
You eather have A/C or you have sasquatch hands, eather way the wiring loom

[/quote]
av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.