neo914-6
Here you go:

black woven fiberglass

laugh.gif

Here's the "story"
Carbon Fiber Shortage Update

Last Update: 7/18//06

Carbon Fiber Shortage Update

The carbon fiber shortage which became serious in 2005 has no signs of letting up. Although some uncertified carbon is occasionally available, certified carbon is almost completely taken by Airbus and the US Military.

As a result of lack of fiber, weavers have virtually discontinued specialty products like hybrids. 3K products like the popular 2 x 2 Twill (our #1069) are extremely scarce. Although some 6K product is supposed to be available by autumn 2006, most of that product was sold 6 months in advance.

Shortages often breed innovation and this shortage has resulted in Black Fiberglass. Black Fiberglass is an alternative to carbon twill only in applications which are purely cosmetic. Dashboards, speakers and many other applications will benefit for the long term with Black Fiberglass which should be available indefinitely. It looks exactly like a carbon twill but is simply fiberglass which is woven and dyed to look like carbon.

Of course, Black Fiberglass is significantly less expensive than carbon and prices are expected to come down when it is more widely available. Black Fiberglass is still hard to come by and the first weaving was released in July 2006.

For structural applications where certifications are a necessity, many engineers are designing with S-2 Fiberglass. S-2 is aerospace grade with a fine finish and has outstanding strength properties. It is suitable for many demanding applications. Our #1543, Style 6781 S2 Glass is first quality and is suitable for military certification.

The Problem
The carbon fiber industry was seemingly unprepared for the demand spike caused by both the Pentagon and the commercial aircraft industries. The Pentagon is blamed for more than 350 carbon-epoxy parts on the F-22 Raptor and the developmental Joint Strike Fighter is projected to be between 25 and 30 percent composite by weight. The F22 Stealth fighter, the Blackhawk helicopter, the unmanned predator drone as well as body armor, helmets, holsters and a variety of other military applications are gobbling up carbon fiber as fast as it can be produced.

Additionally, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner is scheduled to start operating in 2008. The enormous commercial jet is half carbon fiber. This direct competitor to Airbus’ dominance in the market is only the beginning of the fight. The Airbus Superjumbo A380 and A350 are also extensively carbon fiber and are expected to fly in 2006 and 2010, respectively.

Perspective
Airbus reportedly ordered over 100 A380’s, each of which uses approximately 70,000 metric tons of carbon fiber. One estimate of the entire sporting goods industry’s usage is 200,000 tons.

The good news is that carbon fiber producers are aggressively addressing increasing their capacities. Toray appears to be gearing up for a 30% increase in production for 2007 and again in 2008. Toho has plans for doubling capacity by 2008 compared to 2003 levels.

The bad news is that demand is growing faster and a few big users are squeezing smaller users, even smaller industries, right out.

Trekkor
I don't really like the look of unpainted CF. ( street tuner image )
Strength is not a real issue with our crowd until somone does a monocoque tub unsure.gif

Fiberglass is every bit as light as CF, right? Just not as expensive or "pretty" to look at.

Your opinion may vary...

KT
lapuwali
For non-structural purposes, black fiberglass would be fine. For something that's semi-structural, like a hood or a rear trunk lid, an optimal fiberglass part is going to be heavier than an optimal CF part of equal strength.

Mueller
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Aug 10 2006, 09:44 AM) *

For non-structural purposes, black fiberglass would be fine. For something that's semi-structural, like a hood or a rear trunk lid, an optimal fiberglass part is going to be heavier than an optimal CF part of equal strength.

I was able to sit on my rear CF deck lid, I would not have tried that on a 'glass deck lid at all, they flex in the wind or so it seem....
race914
So I contact Jim Cramer on Mad Money about the Carbon Fiber shortage and he recommended buying "SGG" a german company.

Gotta fund the 914 projects somehow!

Thanks for the tip on the black fiberglass. Just about to make a mold for my front splitter and may go this route for my next splitter (seem to break them alot)
Trekkor
I was able to sit on my rear CF deck lid

I wouldn't sit on my steel lids...Get a chair chairfall.gif

KT
neo914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 10 2006, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Aug 10 2006, 09:44 AM) *

I was able to sit on my rear CF deck lid, I would not have tried that on a 'glass deck lid at all, they flex in the wind or so it seem....

so my lid was abused? laugh.gif

"SGG"

thanks, but no $ to invest sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.