Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mounting pressure plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
it's been a long time since i installed a pressure plate and want to know if what i have is right. i'm mounting the pressure plate and clutch disk. i mount the disk with a little splined tool but when i fit/locate the pressure plate, the edges of the plate where the bolts go thru do not touch the flywheel surface. it would be like the bolts would draw or pull the pressure plate toward the flywheel as the bolts are tightened. the edge of the PP where the bolts go thru is about 1/2 inch off the flywheel bolting surface. is this what provides the clamping force on the disk? sorry for the noob question but don't want to have to redo a problem i overlooked. many TIA
mihai914
It's not the best of pictures but I hope it helps. The edges won't touch at first but once you tighten the bolts they should make contact and get under the ring gear. The bolts will put pressure and you will even see the spring become more or less (can't remember) cone shaped as everything gets tight. Also make sure the pins are well aligned, which I'm sure you did.
TonyAKAVW
I just installed a pressure plate the other day and it was exactly as you described. The Pressure plate is engaged when you install it. The spring of the pressure plate is forcing the clutch disk against the flywheel. if there was no gap, your pressure plate would be worthless smile.gif

-Tony
Cap'n Krusty
Tighten the bolts a turn at a time, either in an alternating cross patern or circular pattern. Failure to do so will waste the pressure plate. Got the pins in there? The Cap'n
type47
got the pins, just haven't done this in such a long time, i wanted to make sure i did it right. many thanks for the quick responses smiley_notworthy.gif

i also noticed in the PET or parts book that the bolts are 8 x 18mm for a 2.0 and 8 x 15 for 1.7 and 1.8. anything to be careful of there? torque spec?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.