Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct Carpet for '73?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Bruce912
What were the factory carpet options (color, material, etc.) for the '73 1.7 and/or 2.0 cars? Our yellow 1.7 (now 2.0) has a black interior, but needs new carpet, and it looks like we've got our choice of a few styles available out there. I think my wife (it's her car, after all) would prefer a charcoal loop-type carpet, but I would like to make sure it would be a period-correct option.

Anyone have pictures of their car's interior, specifically a yellow car?

Thanks!
Pat Garvey
Hey folks, I just spoke with Bruce about this. Cannot bellieve there have been no responses to this!

Bruce is a 912 freak, with a newly acquired 914 - let's help him out here. Tell him your suggestions. I KNOW we don't all have the original German carpet in our cars, so who's changed, where'd you get it, & how difficult was it?
driving.gif
grasshopper
Does this help?? Paint and fabrics
Bruce912
Thanks for the link. I have already stumbled my way into that website, but didn't dig deep enough to find that page, I guess.

I am not attempting to discern what color choices were available, but primarily the carpet types. Color options are an entire different subject it seems. What I've gathered so far is that, other than the color options, the basic carpet was still your basic charcoal-colored Perlon. Optional material types were "silverknit" and some sort of a loop carpet, from what I've seen in photos.

Somebody please step in if this isn't correct or there is more to the story. thanks.
davep
The silverknit was a charcoal loop pile carpet with a hint of silver in it. This was the premium carpet. The other was more felt like, very cheap looking. There was the charcoal and the brown at least. Most green cars and some orange cars got the brown.
Porsche Rescue
I thought the Perlon was early cars (up to or including '72) and the later cars had a loop carpet. I have never seen sliverknit in a 914, 911 only.
bd1308
Where can I get the silverknit carpet?

What else would look good with either a red or a black 914?

Right now I have a tan loop-type carpet purchased several years ago but its looking uggy when I did my welding or whatever

b
Porsche Rescue
Here is original '74 carpet, salt and pepper loop. I once owned this car and know it to be factory carpet. A '73 I once owned many years ago had the same type of carpet, though it may have been plain black.
Bruce912
Jim - that looks spectacular! Thanks for the photo.

I contacted Augie at Autos International. Although they don't advertise it, they do sell 914 carpet kits with, what they feel is, a dead-on match of carpet. It is what they normally use for high-end BMW cars, and is of excellent quality. They also sell a Perlon kit.

Also, Appearance & Performance seem to have a kit looking like yours.

Thanks for your input, folks!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bruce912 @ Aug 23 2006, 12:00 PM) *

I contacted Augie at Autos International. Although they don't advertise it, they do sell 914 carpet kits with, what they feel is, a dead-on match of carpet. It is what they normally use for high-end BMW cars, and is of excellent quality. They also sell a Perlon kit.

Told ya it would work out Bruce! Happy to see it too! Kepp us informed bud
914runnow
QUOTE(Bruce912 @ Aug 23 2006, 08:00 AM) *

Bettah getttah sample..Some of that non loop match from them..
Sheds Reeeeeeeeeeeally bad!!..
The Charcoal loop you are referring to is called Farbe 701..
IT IS Unobtainium...It came in 80%of the 73's into the US..
1.7 and 2.0
anthony
What is the closest match for the charcoal loop factory carpet these days?

I saw that Autos International has a Charcoal Domestic Loop that looks pretty close.

I want to cover my rear firewall with carpet (GT Style). I was thinking that I could either try with matching carpet or 911RS perlon felt. What do you guys think. I was thinking that the felt might be easier to apply to the firewall.
JeffBowlsby
I recently looked EVERYWHERE for a good match to the charcoal loop pile for the 73-74 cars and struck out. I did however find an excellent match for the late 1974-76 salt+pepper charcoal loop pile from our own James, who special ordered it. it is German and not too expensive, but very good quality. Its color pattern is grainier than the earlier 73-74 charcoal cars, so it would not be correct for them.
914runnow
QUOTE(914runnow @ Aug 23 2006, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce912 @ Aug 23 2006, 08:00 AM) *

Bettah getttah sample..Some of that non loop match from them..
Sheds Reeeeeeeeeeeally bad!!..
The Charcoal loop you are referring to is called Farbe 701..
IT IS Unobtainium...It came in 80%of the 73's into the US..
1.7 and 2.0

Hey I got blocked out to give yah a reply re your private inquiry..
Soooo well go this way with it.........
I can >loan< you a piece of my new stuff OEM from Porsche..
So you can compare..
Most everyone will send you a sample of their stuff..
Here's the deal::::::::::::::::::::::::
You can find a 'black or grey' loop...that is close..
You will not find a 'loop'...that is dead on with the
'Cat hair spires' weaved in into the loop..
The other thing is via the vacumm and shampoo action..
they fade away after the years (Cat hair Spires)...
My friend has a late 71 6 cyl with the 'mock' carpet..
with the receipt from Autos Int....Reminds me of a Pursian cat..
Although Autos Int. has some great items and I do feel they are
quite professional...IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO GET A SAMPLE..
The other people you spoke of are fine for the price for what you get...
Personally ...I do not care for the 'backing on it'.....I tried years ago to find dealers
that had any pieces..And went to Porsche Germany on it..No Gottah!!!
It seemed to mostly go to the NLA folks in Oregon..
(Some did go to Stoddards..But The George folks bought that up at the
Stoddards swap meet years ago...)
From there it went to George At A Atlanta..That was in 89 /90????
I scoured Georges place personally bout 9 years ago and got what was to be the last few pieces of farbe 701..The one piece I do not have is the driver side..
BTW for this book here >re carpet...
George still might have some of the other colors etc. if you are willing to change..
Porsche loaded up 4 semi's back in the late 80's and Gary bought the lot,
then sold off the rest..Thatz where 'Georges Lost Warehouse' of parts came from
for you 'Olde Timerz'...Porsche in Reno bout mid 90's canned hundreds of parts
to be destroyed..Talk about killing demand!!!Sorry no gotty!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.