Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tiars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
Some tires for your perusal. 150 minutes of track time and a drive home.

Can any suspension gurus learn anything form these?
J P Stein
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy bridge
Brad Roberts
Get closer with the camera. If you have too.. shoot two pics splitting the tire down the center.

A lot of what tire engineers gather info wise from a tires is done by "feel".. but just seeing tires tell alot about it and what it has done.

B
Brad Roberts
Just the first response from me:

It looks like the fronts are getting hotter than the rears.. Like the car might have been understeering a tad and you where compensating by more steering input.

The rears look like they where on vacation.

B
Brad Roberts
Get some paint on the damn fenders... The primer look only works on "Rat Rods"

B
J P Stein
Thanx, I get a lot of "compliments" on the paint job.
"Rat Rod"?....that works. laugh.gif

You're right about the push....just a tad... which is safe for the big track.....safe is gud for a first timer. The loud pedal would correct it, tho. The rears get hotter than the fronts at AX....didn't have a temp tester at the track.
Jeroen
Not an expert, but it looks like you could do with a little less neg.camber

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
I thought that too. At first I thought they may have been slightly over inflated, but I ended thinking too much neg camber.
dakotaewing
Are the tires in that condition on all 4 corners, or just the passenger front and rear? Your only showing the passenger side...
Thom
J P Stein
About the same on all.

At the AXs, the fronts show even temps across the tread, the rears about 10-15 deg hotter on the inside.
There are those that say 10 deg hotter on the inside is what one wants.

Since rhe rear suspenders are coming apart, nohow, taking out a bit on negative camber dosen't bother me a bit. I just wanna be sure that is the correct thing to do.
J P Stein
Prolly shoulda posted these first as they are the tires that get most of the work at PIR.....more right hand turns. These are the outside tires in those.

Rear
J P Stein
Front....better focus, too laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
what swaybar mount is that in that front pic?
machina
i say you need more negative camber. Looks to me like the inside shoulder of the tires is almost virgin compared to the outside of the tire tread. This would indicate the tire is pitching out of the turn more than the negative camber can compensate for.

I can only get about -2deg front and rear on my car right now. I think -3deg would be ideal for our light cars.

Alot of race cars with radial slicks run -4deg or more of neg camber.

Check the tread with pyrometer next time if you can, that will tell you what is going on.

dr
davep
I'll admit to not knowing anything, however, my first impression is that they appear evenly worn. They sure got very hot though. I've seen the rubber "dribbles" on slicks before; i.e. lightweight gummies.

DaveP
fiid
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 20 2003, 11:56 AM)
what swaybar mount is that in that front pic?

Looks like the tarret to me.

Fiid.
Aaron Cox
someone have a link to tarret's site? can i run that mount w/ a stock bar?
Jeroen
www.tarett.com

I don't think you can run that mount with a stock bar though...
The tarett bars are bigger than 22mm because they are hollow

cheers,

Jeroen
Aaron Cox
ouch $475!
mharrison
My suggestion would be that you need some new tires!!! laugh.gif

Just kidding. I'll be following this thread to gain some knowledge on the subject.
Jeroen
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 20 2003, 10:23 PM)
ouch $475!

They're not that price actually...
Compare them to the Weltscheister bars @ $300 + $100 for the adj. droplinks
Then you only have a $75 difference and the quality of the Taretts is much better
(although they're not as nice as the SmartRacing bars, but those are in another price league)

cheers,

Jeroen
campbellcj
I know pics are deceiving (esp. of tires) but it almost looks like you're running + camber on the fronts. The shoulders look really rounded off. confused24.gif

I can take a pic of my Hoosiers for comparison when I get home, if I have a moment.
john rogers
The drive home really hurt the appearance of the surface since the contact with the pavement will be different unless you drove home like you drove at the track!!!??? That's why the contact patch looks different than where the rubber has built up. What were the temps across the face of the tire? Finally, what were the tire pressures hot front and rear and were you getting any roll over onto the sidewalls? If possible, next time get some temps and pictures right in the hot pits by an assistant or even yourself.
si2t3m
Up front: did you get some negative camber dialed out of the front??? Always tought that you have a neg camber monster (-2 or more).

Can't figure out how why the front inside seems like it's doing nothing. Tire roll? Camber?.

I got the opposite one mine this summer. 3 days (300 minutes) and a drive back, font inside looked like my bootyshake.gif . Had alot of front camber and to much toe in!

Marc-André
seanery
which compound of hoosiers(?) are these?
drew365
JP; other than the one picture that shows very little wear on the inside, your tires look pretty much like my Hoosiers. It appears you didn't warm them up too much on the ride home or they would be cleaner. That's a good thing since driving Hoosiers on the street can be an expensive habit. I'm getting about 12 heat cycles from mine before they start letting me know they don't want to do this anymore.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Oct 20 2003, 01:32 PM)
Weltscheister

i'm not sure if a lot of people here on this board will get that subtle hint ... cool.gif

Andy
ChrisReale
I get it laugh.gif
In Perf. Products new catalog, they are selling a Welmeister sway bar that looks identical to the Tarret bar. What up with that?
Aaron Cox
welt - sheister.... that's a knee slapper wink.gif (sarcastic laugh lol3.gif )
rhodyguy
like f.i., a black art to me. how many $ per mile?

kevin
Mueller
I think Welt. (or whoever owns the name Welt.) has been buying other products and re-labeling them as thier own (legally of course)

Cheaper for them to do this then shell out the money for new product devolopment.

I'm just waiting for them to want to sell my needle bearing kits smile.gif

I'll get Weltmiester laser etched on them if they buy enough wink.gif
J P Stein
Hoosier R3SO3s. 35 psi cold rising to 39psi hot. -2 camber both ends.
john rogers
I'd say the pressures are too high, but then again I always say that I =guess if they are much over 28#.It appears some of the rubber is being scrubbed from the groves and is built up next to the at the side. That could be from the tires slipping from the high pressure? It's a "black art"
J P Stein
These tires have .....humm....over 120 AX passes on em'. I run a bit less pressure at the AXs, 31-33psi and try to keep them there. I do believe that the track day was the first time they were "heat cycled".

They will last me for the first few AXs next season, me thinks......till the tire fund is built up some. smile.gif
drew365
That's the pressure Hoosier recommends, 31 - 35 cold, 39 - 41 hot. If you get the tires to 180 deg on the AX that's a heat cycle. If not I'm not sure that this tire compound is doing you much good since they feel pretty slippery to me until they heat up.
J P Stein
You're right, they are pretty slippery on the first couple runs. I bought this compound because of the dual drivers. I wasn't sure if the "A" compound would last thru a season.

The hottest temps I saw at AX were 135 deg...inside rears....fronts were 120 all across. *With a good driver* the car was a threat for TTOD at local SCCA.
The best *I* could manage was top 20ish.

Next season I'll go with an AX compound....Hoosier or Kuhmo.....and learn to drive mo better. I also have a few suspension tweaks in mind....just to keep me busy this winter smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.