Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 1 Liquid Cooled Heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
I found this site which features newly engineered liquid cooled Type 1 Cylinder Heads for Aircraft Applications. I don't know how they are different from the WasserBoxer design, but most likely, they beefed up the weaknesses in that model. With loads of machining, I'm guessing they could be used on the Type IV?

IPB Image

Great Plains Aircraft
Brando
Anything can be done with enough money... But the question is, why? AFAIK the Type 4 gets some of it's advantage over the Type 1 due to head design. Why not highly modifiy some Wasserboxer heads for that cost?
Jake Raby
Just buy a wasser or suby and be done with it if you want a radiator...

watercooling our heads just creates a bastard engine.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Brando @ Aug 11 2006, 12:09 PM) *

Anything can be done with enough money... But the question is, why? AFAIK the Type 4 gets some of it's advantage over the Type 1 due to head design. Why not highly modifiy some Wasserboxer heads for that cost?

...........or study this design for someone who is developing a liquid cooled TYPE IV engine and has no problem with the "bastardization".....

some of us have a creative inventive streak that cannot be subdued.. no matter how "expensive".....

Rouser
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Aug 11 2006, 03:14 PM) *

... or study this design for someone who is developing a liquid cooled TYPE IV engine and has no problem with the "bastardization" ...

I thought that the "liquid-cooled T-IV" issue was resolved with the aforementioned Subi conversion?

Can't see the reasoning (i.e. need), even IF you overlook the $$$ involved in R&D; ground already covered.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Brando @ Aug 11 2006, 12:09 PM) *

Wasserboxer heads ARE T1 heads, so why bother with that, either? The Cap'n
Brando
Thought wasserboxer heads were watercooled type 4 heads. D'oh.
Brian Mifsud
quote]
I thought that the "liquid-cooled T-IV" issue was resolved with the aforementioned Subi conversion?

Can't see the reasoning (i.e. need), even IF you overlook the $$$ involved in R&D; ground already covered.
[/quote]

Ground covered only as you see it.. look further.......

A watercooled TYPE IV head would be a very easy bolt on. Much much easier than all the work in an engine conversion to Subaru. Liquid Cooling system could live in the engine compartment so no butchering the 914 body. Allows serious turbo charging for much fun and excitement. Some of us have already begun to learn how to do castings and built our own aluminum foundries for not much money...
who needs to do "research".. superior combustion chambers on pushrod engines already exist..just copy and paste......

Rouser
A watercooled TYPE IV head would be a very easy bolt on.

After you modify the cooling tin (cylinders are still air-cooled), FI system (heads are larger, adding engine width), and everything else for an engine bay radiator system.
Much much easier than all the work in an engine conversion to Subaru.

Not if you're comparing $$$-to-HP; 914 owners tend to be CSOB's.
Liquid Cooling system could live in the engine compartment so no butchering the 914 body.

Yes, that ought to add to the ease of maintenance already encountered by most 914 owners, ESPECIALLY stock FI-equipped cars.
Allows serious turbo charging for much fun and excitement.

Again, talk to 914WRX for that application, or Jake Raby for pure T-IV. In either case, insert "CSOB" here.
Some of us have already begun to learn how to do castings and built our own aluminum foundries for not much money...

And some have abandoned the 914-4 crowd for much the the same reasons ... not enough traffic.
who needs to do "research".. superior combustion chambers on pushrod engines already exist..just copy and paste......

... on "watercooled" pushrod engines, which doesn't always translate to T-IV's.

I'm not knocking the idea, it's just that the market (and desire/enthusiasm/$$$) isn't there to recoop the investment; and that's always the bottom line.
Jake Raby
superior combustion chambers on pushrod engines already exist..just copy and paste

If it were only that easy.

The day that watercooled Type 4 engines are common I'll go back to working on turbines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.