Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PorSTi Project Thread…
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Amenson
Ok...so here is how the passenger side cooling line will be run.

From the Radiator

Click to view attachment

Through the heater hole

Click to view attachment

Into the long

Click to view attachment

And into the engine compartment...boy is it dirty back there.

Click to view attachment
Amenson
Finished welding in the passenger Engman reinforcement...put a few extra welds in for good measure and because I was enjoying welding. welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Cleaned up the driver's side. No surprises here!!

Click to view attachment

Mmmm....if you live in the Michigan area and have access to Bell's beer, I highly recommend finding some HopSlam. It does not get any better than this.

Click to view attachment
Amenson
I have not posted an update for a while but not because of the lack of effort or progress, just have not been doing anything that a dozen other people have not already posted a more novel or skillful implementation. So here are the end results...

Finished welding in the Engman reinforcement kit. welder.gif

Click to view attachment

After a load of grinding.

Click to view attachment

Finished repairing the pedal area.

Click to view attachment

Amenson
Installed the driver side cooling line support. Had to cut open the long to get it in.

Click to view attachment

Welded back up.

Click to view attachment

Worked on the engine plumbing a bit. Cleaned up the crank case vent hoses and rerouted the turbo cooling lines.

Click to view attachment

I have been spending hours practicing Tig welding Al. It is as challenging as everybody told me it would be. I am making strong welds but not quite as nice looking as I want considering the high profile locations I need to weld on the intercooler and the radiator. This is my creation from this weekend.

Click to view attachment

I am working on the new oil lines to the turbo and remote oil filter now. And the filter to intake plumbing, and the wiring harness and...

Scott
Amenson
Made bit more progress today. Made another mount for the fuel lines and a cover for the access hole into the center tunnel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I think that next to the tig welder, nutserts are my second favorite tool. No more sheet metal screws for me!!

Scott
PeeGreen 914
What tool did you buy and where did you get it to use the nutserts?
Amenson
This is my nutsert tool

Click to view attachment

Nutserts for the plate and fuel line mount

Click to view attachment

Another fuel line mount using a nutsert.

Click to view attachment

All of the fuel pump and filter brackets use nuserts. I started installing nutserts for the rear valance and will use them for the front valance as well.

Finally, the fuel lines are in for good. cheer.gif

Click to view attachment

I also reinstalled the passenger side door today. I finally appreciated the value of the chassis braces. The door opening was a bit tight and uneven before all of the work on the passenger side. I cranked open the gap until it met the measurements in the manual before welding in the new metal. I was able to remove the shim from the lower hinge which helped the gap at the front of the door. The gap at the back is more even now.

It feels really good to be installing things permanently.

Scott
PeeGreen 914
So where did you buy that handy tool. Looks like a great tool to have.

Nice work.
Amenson
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jul 13 2008, 05:07 PM) *

So where did you buy that handy tool. Looks like a great tool to have.

Nice work.

Picked it up at Grainger:

Edit:deleted bad link

Scott
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif Thanks... Just ordered one.
Amenson
A couple important things happened today.

I finally have the oil feed line for the turbo. Seems like it would not be such a big deal but the one end was female M12x1.0 and getting to it w/o a load of adapters was a major afare. Eventually I found a shop 4 miles away from my house to make one for me.

Click to view attachment

Temporarily installed

Click to view attachment

After a panicked search I have a matching seat to the Momo Start seat that I bought at the beginning of the project over 2 years ago. Momo has made 2 revisions since then and the old style was no longer available. I picked up the seat on the right from somebody who bought it a while ago and never used it! It just arrived today driving.gif

Click to view attachment

The Puss has made the first seat his.

Scott
DBCooper
Look how excited he is! That new seat's made him think he's getting a new little sister....
Zaney
Are you going to install flares on your car? What size wheels/tires do you intend to run under all that torque?

Thanks,
Nate
Amenson
QUOTE(Zaney @ Jul 17 2008, 05:10 PM) *

Are you going to install flares on your car? What size wheels/tires do you intend to run under all that torque?

Thanks,
Nate

205's...maybe 215's on 2.0 Fuchs, this is my trans preservation plan. I have a set of 7x15 phone dials for when I put in the 5 lug parts. Eventually I would like to do a Sheridan body so that it can have some proper rubber. Until then its nickname will be "The Smoke Machine".happy11.gif

Scott
fat73
QUOTE(Amenson @ Jul 17 2008, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Zaney @ Jul 17 2008, 05:10 PM) *

Thanks,
Nate

205's...maybe 215's on 2.0 Fuchs, this is my trans preservation plan. I have a set of 7x15 phone dials for when I put in the 5 lug parts. Eventually I would like to do a Sheridan body so that it can have some proper rubber. Until then its nickname will be "The Smoke Machine".happy11.gif

Scott

My car has the 03 WRX engine with 295/35 Toyo Proxes on 18"x11" s and it will still light 'em up. When you start hard on one of these and get the tires spinning it's almost instant red-line banging off the rev-limiter. driving.gif blink.gif Hope you got a good tranny. Already broke one. It's a blast.

Ed aka W9R1
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Amenson
QUOTE(fat73 @ Jul 18 2008, 05:15 AM) *

Hope you got a good trany. Already broke one. It's a blast.

The 901 in the car is solid with a recent refresh. I just need to remind myself to be mindful when in 1st.

I made some progress this weekend.

Mounted the air filter, actually a one of my buddies came over and did this so that I could work on other things:

Click to view attachment

Made the tube from the turbo to the air filter silicone piece. This is the first "real" aluminum part that I welded. Notice the fairly tidy practice weld in the background. Now notice how not tidy the weld is on the part. Welding a odd shape with varying wall thickness and not perfect gaps is considerably more challenging then welding straight test tube. Oh well, not bad for my first part. It is strong and leak free. Hopefully I get better as the parts become more visible.

Click to view attachment

Fits perfectly!!

Click to view attachment

I also started plumbing the remote oil filter. I need to drill another hole in the engine mount for the remote filter housing but can't until I get the engine off of the cart. Eventually it will be straight.

Click to view attachment

Scott
Amenson
Well, still not confident enough to weld the tubes to the intercooler yet so I spent much of the garage time this weekend making practice art.

This is a creation made of 3" diameter .065 aluminum tubing, the same stuff as the IC plumbing...almost ready to weld the real thing welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Scott
Amenson
Made another small step tonight. I finally removed the turbo oil return on the head. I could not find any good information on the Subaru sites to I slowly worked it loose with gradually larger tools.

This is what I wanted out:

Click to view attachment

This is what it looks like out:

Click to view attachment

The damn thing was press fit in with a ring of glue for good measure:

Click to view attachment

I feel fortunate to get it out without damaging anything. Now I get to modify it sawzall-smiley.gif and put it back together welder.gif so that it points toward the new turbo location.
Amenson
Welded up the turbo drain tonight.

Pre-welding:
Click to view attachment

Post welding...steel is so much easier than AL!

Click to view attachment

Head side post welding:

Click to view attachment

Installed minus tube:

Click to view attachment

Good night........

Click to view attachment

Scott
GS Guy
Looking good Scott!

I may use some of your ideas if my turbo oil drain is a bit off optimum angle.

Now I want to see your shift linkage solutions! Especially with the Small Car mount.

Jeff
Amenson
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Jul 31 2008, 02:59 PM) *

Looking good Scott!

I may use some of your ideas if my turbo oil drain is a bit off optimum angle.

Now I want to see your shift linkage solutions! Especially with the Small Car mount.

Jeff

Jeff,
Hopefully you do not have to remove the drain...what a huge pain in the ass.

As for the shift linkage, stock works just fine!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I had to dig through a load of old project pictures to find these. It reminded me how far I have come and renewed my sense of accomplishment. Makes the the first drive seem not so far off piratenanner.gif

Scott
fat73
Click to view attachment

Ahhhhh what a beautiful sight.....Makes you feel good don't it?

Great work...Ed aka W9R1
GS Guy
Rats,
That stock shift rod does fit nice! No such luck on my build - I've got frame and suspension members in-line with the shift rod - almost as if they'd been designed to be in the way!

I've noticed other cooling line connections seemed to be "press fit" into the various engine components too - such as the little lines on the throttle body heater, the cockpit heater supply connection into the water crossover on top of the engine. How are you planning to seal that turbo drain back up? Locktite?

I may have to do someting similar to the turbo drain fittings? Haven't yet permanantly located the turbo - but the block connection "may" be OK. Still looking for a bolt-on NPT (or similar) adapter for the turbo drain - but may have to make something custom like yours. Not much room for pipe fittings under there - especially in the large sizes required for a good drain.
Car is lookig great Scott!
Jeff
jimkelly
wow - awesome work - suby sterring column - sweet.

i love the friendly one ups-man-ship on this board - just when you think you've seen the most amazing work - someone else raises the bar.

for me - i am pretty proud for weeks - when i install a set of chrome caps on my wheels valve stems - but you guys - wtf!

smoke.gif
Amenson
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Aug 2 2008, 05:56 AM) *

I've noticed other cooling line connections seemed to be "press fit" into the various engine components too - such as the little lines on the throttle body heater, the cockpit heater supply connection into the water crossover on top of the engine. How are you planning to seal that turbo drain back up? Locktite?

Car is lookig great Scott!
Jeff

I have not figured out what I will use to seal the oil return. I thought about Loctite but am concerned that it would never come apart again. The oil return is not pressurized so I may just put some high temp RTV type sealant there.

Do you have an update progress thread of your project anywhere? The yahoo link you sent a while ago is down.

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 2 2008, 06:21 AM) *

i love the friendly one ups-man-ship on this board - just when you think you've seen the most amazing work - someone else raises the bar.

Not so much one ups-man-ship...just the advantage of knowing how other people have done things so that you can see what worked and what did not.

Made some small progress yesterday. Mounted the crank case breather tube and boost control solenoid. Both are held in place with nutserts!

Click to view attachment

Probably will not have any updates for a couple of weeks. I am getting married next weekend wub.gif and the Woodward Dream Cruise is the weekend following that.

Scott
Zaney
Scott,
Congrats ahead of time for next weekend! drunk.gif

The car and workmanship is awesome as usual! driving.gif

Cheers to you and the MRS.
Amenson
Made it through the wedding!! Everything went well and nobody died on the hike in the mountains, ropes course, rafting trip or any of the late nights out beerchug.gif

My beautiful bride and I, freshly married!!

Click to view attachment

Driving to the reception the '39 Rolls Royce

Click to view attachment

Celebrating with a nice Cab and a Cohiba. The Cohiba is from Cuba thanks to my brother in law from London. And my custom matte finish tungsten carbide ring.

Click to view attachment

Now back working on the PorSTi...
Amenson
Filled in one of the heater control tube holes.

Click to view attachment

Removed a load of paint from the driver's compartment.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Welded in reinforcements for the shoulder Harness'.

Click to view attachment

Picked up a welding table and a spot welder. welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Scott
Slider
Cool.. you got hitched in Fort Collins?

QUOTE(Amenson @ Aug 24 2008, 09:12 PM) *

Made it through the wedding!! Everything went well and nobody died on the hike in the mountains, ropes course, rafting trip or any of the late nights out beerchug.gif

My beautiful bride and I, freshly married!!

Click to view attachment

Driving to the reception the '39 Rolls Royce

Click to view attachment

Celebrating with a nice Cab and a Cohiba. The Cohiba is from Cuba thanks to my brother in law from London. And my custom matte finish tungsten carbide ring.

Click to view attachment

Now back working on the PorSTi...

Amenson
QUOTE(Slider @ Sep 2 2008, 03:30 PM) *

Cool.. you got hitched in Fort Collins?

Of course, where else??? biggrin.gif My wife got her undergrad at Colorado State. I had never visited Colorado before meeting her...now I can't spend enough time there. Great State, great beer!! drunk.gif

Amenson
Finally, enough free time for an update. I have been overly busy the past few weeks with events away from the house but have still managed to find time to work on the project...actually took Thursday off from work to spend in the garage gussying up the PorSTi for the party that I had yesterday. The goal is to get everything painted and the engine in for the final time. Several things needed to be done to meet this goal...

First on the to do list was to clean up all of the repairs around the longs and engine compartment so that I could seal them with Por15. While working away with the wire brush I found some more rust hiding under bondo/seam sealer. ar15.gif headbang.gif

Time to sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

No more hole...still need to fix the other problem. Decided to put that off for a bit as it will not keep me from finishing the inside of the longs so that I can run the cooling lines.

Click to view attachment

Next I needed to get the intercooler tubes and blow off valve tacked in place. First I had to convince myself that I could make pretty enough welds...several hours of practice later welder.gif I think that I am ready.

Click to view attachment

Make the holes for the BOV mounting plate...

Click to view attachment

Attached without blowing any holes cheer.gif Still need to figure out how to get the BOV tube to run to the intake.

Click to view attachment

fat73
QUOTE(Amenson @ Sep 14 2008, 06:45 PM) *

Finally, enough free time for an update. I have been overly busy the past few weeks with events away from the house but have still managed to find time to work on the project...actually took Thursday off from work to spend in the garage gussying up the PorSTi for the party that I had yesterday. The goal is to get everything painted and the engine in for the final time. Several things needed to be done to meet this goal...

First on the to do list was to clean up all of the repairs around the longs and engine compartment so that I could seal them with Por15. While working away with the wire brush I found some more rust hiding under bondo/seam sealer. ar15.gif headbang.gif

Time to sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

No more hole...still need to fix the other problem. Decided to put that off for a bit as it will not keep me from finishing the inside of the longs so that I can run the cooling lines.

Click to view attachment

Next I needed to get the intercooler tubes and blow off valve tacked in place. First I had to convince myself that I could make pretty enough welds...several hours of practice later welder.gif I think that I am ready.

Click to view attachment

Make the holes for the BOV mounting plate...

Click to view attachment

Attached without blowing any holes cheer.gif Still need to figure out how to get the BOV tube to run to the intake.

Click to view attachment

Why not just let the BOV vent into the atmosphere? Would save you the trouble.

Ed aka W9R1
Amenson
...Next is to get the car out of the garage and give it a good cleaning to get rid 2 years of restoration residue. It has been a long time since it has seen natural light!!

Click to view attachment

After a good cleaning I installed the front shift rod and pulled the Gates tube through the longs. I somehow did not take any pictures of the cooling lines. Will get some next time I am in the garage. Time to get ready...

Click to view attachment

Stick it in there

Click to view attachment

Looks a little tight around the turbo intake tube.

Click to view attachment

Maybe there is some room on the other side.

Amenson
...Nope. Going to have to remove the tube. One of the goals for the project was to be able to get the engine in/out without having to take any parts off of the engine. I guess taking one part off is not soo bad confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Still Fits aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

Next on the to-do list is to finish painting the passenger compartment. A few more hours with the wire brush.

Click to view attachment

And a few more with the paint brush. Por15 is great stuff.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ready for the party

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Amenson
QUOTE(fat73 @ Sep 14 2008, 06:47 PM) *

Still need to figure out how to get the BOV tube to run to the intake.

Why not just let the BOV vent into the atmosphere? Would save you the trouble.

Ed aka W9R1

Venting to the atmosphere will alter MAF calulation a bit and could cause some, likely small, drivability issues with a stock ECU. Although...it could lead to off throttle tailpipe flames happy11.gif Maybe I will reconsider.

Scott
charliew
It will run way rich without the air going back into the intake after the maf. You can switch to speed density though.
fat73
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 14 2008, 09:10 PM) *

It will run way rich without the air going back into the intake after the maf. You can switch to speed density though.

Doesn't bother mine, with a stock ECU.

Ed aka W9R1
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2030710190...CLB?vhost=rides
Wilhelm
"After a good cleaning I installed the front shift rod and pulled the Gates tube through the longs. I somehow did not take any pictures of the cooling lines. Will get some next time I am in the garage. Time to get ready..."

Few inquiries........
What size gates tubing did you use, its rating (temp/pressure) and supplier.
How did you shove it through the longs? Mine seems to get hung up about a foot in when shoved in from the engine compartment. I suspect its getting tangled in the tube insulation.
Are you going to exit the longs on the front vertically of horizontally?

Thanks, Wilhelm
Amenson
QUOTE(fat73 @ Sep 14 2008, 10:03 PM) *

Doesn't bother mine, with a stock ECU.

Ed aka W9R1
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2030710190...CLB?vhost=rides

Ed,
Ya, I am sure that it would be ok for me as well...I have it pretty much set up for recirc already so I am just going to finish it off.

QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Sep 14 2008, 11:18 PM) *

"After a good cleaning I installed the front shift rod and pulled the Gates tube through the longs. I somehow did not take any pictures of the cooling lines. Will get some next time I am in the garage. Time to get ready..."

Few inquiries........
What size gates tubing did you use, its rating (temp/pressure) and supplier.
How did you shove it through the longs? Mine seems to get hung up about a foot in when shoved in from the engine compartment. I suspect its getting tangled in the tube insulation.
Are you going to exit the longs on the front vertically of horizontally?

Thanks, Wilhelm

Wilhelm,
I am using Gates 75w 1.5 and 1.75. The spec's are at the link. I purchased it through a local branch of Motion Industries.

If you look a few pages back there are some pictures of the full coolant plumbing. I replaced the heater mufflers (or whatever they are called) in the longs with aluminum tubes to avoid the hangups that you are having. The 1.5 pushed right through. It took a rope and a a little lube to pull the 1.75 through the bend.

Scott
LarryR

Next on the to-do list is to finish painting the passenger compartment. A few more hours with the wire brush.

Click to view attachment

And a few more with the paint brush. Por15 is great stuff.

Click to view attachment

Wow clean pans nice!
Amenson
Made some progress today. I pulled out the engine mount so that I could make the second hole for the remote oil filter. I also plumbed the driver's side cooling line. The shift rod is pretty darn close to the oil filter. I think that the rubber cover might rub a bit. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Click to view attachment

While working down there I was reminded of one of the critical points when mounting the Suby engine the way that I am. The hump for the shift rod hole is very close to the driver's side coolant housing when the engine is mounted close to horizontal. In the picture below you can see that the hump is actually pinching the silicone adapter a bit.

Click to view attachment

Scott
charliew
Scott you could make a new thermostat housing and go to the 1.75 od size aluminium tube and run the housing tube out past the hump and put the hose on it out there.
Wilhelm
Thanks for the hose links! Looking at your pic of the 1.75" hose entering the air tube in the long, I am amazed you got that giant hose through there. Curious as to why you use such big coolant lines? It seems a lot of the V8 guys are running 1.25" to the radiator and back.

The floor cleaning with wire wheel seems quite meticulous. I tried this approach and got tired of getting wacked by bristles flying out of the wheel or nearly losing skin ever time I would catch an edge with wheel nearly ripping the grinder out of my hands. I ended up sandblasting which certainly has it downsides.

Your doing a great job.
Amenson
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 20 2008, 10:09 PM) *

Scott you could make a new thermostat housing and go to the 1.75 od size aluminium tube and run the housing tube out past the hump and put the hose on it out there.

The clearance really is not an issue, just something to keep in mind if doing a swap similar to this.

QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Sep 21 2008, 02:01 AM) *

Thanks for the hose links! Looking at your pic of the 1.75" hose entering the air tube in the long, I am amazed you got that giant hose through there. Curious as to why you use such big coolant lines? It seems a lot of the V8 guys are running 1.25" to the radiator and back.

The floor cleaning with wire wheel seems quite meticulous. I tried this approach and got tired of getting wacked by bristles flying out of the wheel or nearly losing skin ever time I would catch an edge with wheel nearly ripping the grinder out of my hands. I ended up sandblasting which certainly has it downsides.

Your doing a great job.

The stock Suby lines are 1.5" and I arbitrary matched the return line to the radiator that I purchased. Did not want to take any chances with cooling issues. A boosted 4 banger can get pretty hot.

I sand blasted part of the engine compartment. Afterwords when I was digging around fixing the longs, I found a lot of sand. I really enjoy sand blasting and will continue to do it but not for anything where the sand has a place to become trapped. Although picking wire slivers is not so much fun either.

Time to get back to the garage.

Scott

Amenson
Worked on the cooling system a bit yesterday. I did not like how the elbows were unsupported coming out of the longs so I took them back out and made some tabs.

Click to view attachment

Installed:

Click to view attachment

Really Installed

Click to view attachment

Passenger side, partially installed

Click to view attachment

I also installed the oil pan pickup yesterday. The project parts bins are starting to empty out cheer.gif

Scott
pktzygt
I'm anxious for you. I can't wait for you to post driving impresions.
Amenson
Sorry for the lack of updates lately. PorSTi has a new home that I hope to get up and running over the holiday. See details here:

Relocation Thread
Click to view attachment

Should be making progress again soon.

Scott
Amenson
Finally, home enough to get things settled inside the house so that I could organize the garage. The Suby still has to live outside but there is plenty of room to work on the PorSTi:

Click to view attachment

The breezeway is considered part of the garage aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

First task to complete was to get some measurements that malaga_red75 has been wanting for quite some time:

The distance from the bottom of the engine to the bottom of the engine mount/top of the cross bar is 70mm. You can see where I took the measurement in this picture:

Click to view attachment

The distance from the engine to the vertical plane of the angle iron is 9mm. The bottom of the angle iron is 2 inches wide and the cross bar sits almost flush with the front edge. You can see where I took the measurement in this picture:

Click to view attachment

I also removed the passenger side seat mounts so that I can install the new seats.

Finally back to work.

Scott
malaga_red75
Scott,
First, thanks so much for getting these to me. I am still a little confused though. Does the bottom piece of the cross bar sit flush with the original bottom of the engine mount, or does it sit flush with the notches you made? Thanks.

-Peter
Amenson
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jan 4 2009, 05:29 PM) *

Scott,
First, thanks so much for getting these to me. I am still a little confused though. Does the bottom piece of the cross bar sit flush with the original bottom of the engine mount, or does it sit flush with the notches you made? Thanks.

-Peter

The cross bar sits flush with the notches. Here are a few pictures to clarify. The notch on the top is a mistake. The bottom notch on the passenger side has been made flush since these pictures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Let me know if you need any more details.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.