Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PorSTi Project Thread…
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Amenson
Continued work on the scoop today.
Was struggling to get the right curve in the flap until I found this custom bending tool laying around the shop biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Once I got the curve the way I wanted it I made a template and the side pieces.
Click to view attachment
Pulled the hood. Sort of liked this view but I really need to tidy up the wires.
Click to view attachment
Time to break out the tig welder.gif
Click to view attachment
After I got the feel for the material I was making no filler micro tacks on the edge of the 1mm sheet.
Click to view attachment
I love TIG...less than 5 minutes of grinding with 100 grit to clean edges.
Click to view attachment
Looks pretty darn good if I must say so myself.
Click to view attachment
Will be fairly discrete once painted.
Click to view attachment
Venting!
Click to view attachment

Will find some reasonably close color in a can and spray bomb it so that it looks decent from 10 feet.

Almost done with the high effort tasks...time to burn through all of the little tasks on the check list.

Soctt
CptTripps
That's pretty cool man. I'm wondering why you felt you needed to cut the hood. Was using the wheel wells not an option? Mine are cut out for venting, and on the V8 that worked just fine. Is it because the fuel cell is in the way?
Amenson
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 27 2014, 04:47 AM) *

That's pretty cool man. I'm wondering why you felt you needed to cut the hood. Was using the wheel wells not an option? Mine are cut out for venting, and on the V8 that worked just fine. Is it because the fuel cell is in the way?

I struggled a lot with the radiator venting method. The wheel well vents obviously work based on the number of cars that use them. I just could not rationalize dumping all that hot air onto the front brakes and tires.
Until yesterday there was no vent and during normal driving the temperature did not get high enough for the ECU to even turn on the fans!
veekry9
"Looks pretty darn good if I must say so myself."

Yup,looks good and works a charm.The hammer and wood method of sheetmetal-work.

Click to view attachment

Did an entire tow-truck rear-bodywork with this method,not using a brake.
Looked good in black,all the facets of the rear flares.
Labour intensive.
Amenson
Pulled the fuel pump to isolate the ground and replace the in tank fuel line that was leaking a bit.
I wanted to put fine fuel filter in the tank also but there was not enough room.
Still a really nice setup.
Click to view attachment

Installed for good!
Click to view attachment

Isolating the ground returned control to the fuel pump controller so it does a fixed priming run at key-up and proportional speed based on engine load. Can't even hear the pump at idle now!

Scott
Amenson
Installed the modified angle drive WSS tonight.
I really enjoy using modern connectors:
Click to view attachment

All wired up and it works!
Click to view attachment
Put it into gear on the lift and the spedometer moves finally. Played with the Speedpuls Tachotronic and the speed changed. Can't wait to calibrate it tomorrow morning on the way to work.

Scott
Amenson
The speedometer is working and perfectly calibrated. Went to use the cruise control and it would turn on indicating that the system was fault free but it would not set. Looked into it a bit and figured out that the second clutch switch (not installed because there is no room) needed to be connected and held closed. Put some tape on it and checked the signal on the Accessport...good to go. Took it for a quick drive and the cruise would still not set. Though about it for a few days and could not come up with any other ideas. Checked my daily driver STI and and compared it to the Porsti and the clutch switch was not right. The tape had stretched.

I considered replacing the switch with a jumper connector but I though that it would be fun to use a mechanical solution to an electrical problem so I welded a cap on one of the nuts.
Click to view attachment
This is the kind of stuff that I always give my ME buddies crap for doing...they will be impressed. bye1.gif

So Cruise works now.

I also installed the wiper motor and wired the intermittent circuit to the stock motor...works like a charm. How many 914's have cruise and intermittent wipers! All of the work to use the suby harness is really starting to pay off. first.gif

I still have some trans fluid dripping and the area around the breather is staying dry. My wife mentioned that her employer had a bore scope that could be used for government work. What better way to look for a leaking trans seal! She brought it home and the scope is worth considerably more that my car! Has a steerable head, zoom and a whole lot more features.
Click to view attachment

Worked great...now I have to pull the trans this week and replace the seal.

Scott
Amenson
Time for an update...
In my last post I was in the last push to get the car ready for Hot Rod Power Tour....well we made it although did not make the fist day in Charlotte due to an endless to do list. Thankfully my Father flew down from WI a day early to help.
Click to view attachment
Some little things to take care of 2 days before departing!
Click to view attachment
Time to go...just a little bit exhausted and excited/terrified to see if she holds together.
Click to view attachment
The trip from Columbus to Knoxville went perfectly, finally together with the Late Hauler crew on Power Tour again after 8 long years.
Click to view attachment

PorSTI parked at the first Hotel. Picture only shows about half of the cars in our group, most everything has LSx something and half of them boosted.
Click to view attachment

Time for the shenanigans to start....
Amenson
Each day of Power Tour has an organized car show at some huge venue. Somewhere between 3000-5000 cars. The Late Haulers carve out a small area of the show and set up tents and coolers, the rest of the afternoon is spent drinking beer and checking out cars.
Click to view attachment

After the event everybody heads to the hotel and relaxes before dinner.
Click to view attachment

After dinner and maybe a bar, back to the parking deck for more beer and...
Click to view attachment

It took a while to get the PorSTI dialed in for burnouts. The first night I made a load of smoke but it was a one wheel peal. The rubber pattern was pretty cool because the exhaust was pushing it out to the side...
Click to view attachment
Over the next day or so I figured out that if I started the burnout in second while rolling both wheels would spin. We were getting ready to leave on the second morning and I decided to try a second gear burnout stationary from my parking spot to inspire the group to get on the road. Gave it a little throttle, let the clutch out and kerplowee...the car lunged, made some horrible noises and stalled. Went to put it in neural and found the shifter cocked way over to the side. Got out and surveyed the damage. Turned out both of the front engine mounts pulled out the rubber and then engine was held up in the front by the shift rod. Moments after the failure jacks, and tools started showing up.
Click to view attachment
In 10 minutes the first mount was removed and the guys were trying to squeeze it back together. It took a trip to a local shop where they let me in back to press the parts back together and 1.5 hours later the car was back together with some big washers installed above the mounts to keep the failure from occurring again. Had to do a quick test burnout to make sure that it would hold together for the long trip to the next venue. It is too bad that this picture was not zoomed out a bit further because my Father was standing there with a look of disgust on his face that I was abusing the car again lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment

Each day the trip from the hotel to the next venue was filled with rolling races on the open road, traffic jams through small towns and the inevitable breakdown. After the motor mount incident the PorSTI had zero problems and proved it to be the second fastest car of the group, only the 600+rwhp turbocharged Vette was faster. The PoSTI flat out hauls. 5th gear pulls feel as strong as 3rd, until better judgement steps in and shuts it down. happy11.gif

Anyways, this goes on day after day and besides the seat needing some additional padding the car is great to drive. The cruise control is a real plus on the long open sections.

Finally after much practice I was able to put down a really pro burnout. The picture only shows the end after I had been slow rolling for about 50 feet and could no longer see where I was going so I did a beautifully slow doughnut. Random strangers were coming over the rest of the night and even the next morning to say how great a burnout it was and to talk about the car. Apparently there is video of it that my buddy took but I don't have it yet. Looks like a "9"
Click to view attachment

On the drive to the last venue one of the guys overextended is aftermarket clutch slave cylinder. The shop we rolled to a stop at did not have the correct type of lift to pull the trans so he took us to another local shop that just happened to be the Ring Brothers. They gave us full access to the entire shop and when they departed for the event, left two of the builders back to help us get the car fixed. They even had the exact slave cylinder we needed that they installed but never used on some other project and gave it to us. Buddies car going up on the lift with their Pantera 'ADRNLN' and this years SEMA car in the background.

Click to view attachment

While we were working on the car a few Hot Rod magazine people showed up to interview the Ring Brothers and take pictures of the shop. They noticed what we were doing and said that if we got it together and to the show in time, they would set up a photo shoot. It is amazing what can be accomplished with a dozen gear heads working together. We made it to the show and got our photo shoot.
Click to view attachment
The picture did not make the magazine but we did get invited to the Hot Rod hospitality bus for an afternoon of free booze and got to hang out with the Hot Rod magazine people. (that is David Freiburger on the left).

Click to view attachment

They even had me bring the PorSTI over and park it in the hospitality area!
Click to view attachment

What a great ending to a great trip.

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
Since the trip I have been driving it daily and finishing/fixing little things. The biggest improvements have been made to the pedals. All three have been cut apart to improve the position, force ratios and travel.

I did have a CV let go on me a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately it happened as I was returning home from visiting a new friend that I met on power tour. He was nice enough to give me a tow home.
Click to view attachment

I am currently building a fresh transmission as the one that is in it now is suffering a bit. First and second syncro parts are on their last legs and I think that the internal rods were repositioned a bit when the engine was sitting on the sift linkage. Just a bunch of parts now but should be together and swapped in shortly.

Click to view attachment

Cheers,
Scott
CptTripps
I've got one thing to say about that...
Amenson
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 18 2014, 11:48 AM) *

I've got one thing to say about that...

Good eye...
I have 2 Jeni's withing 5 miles of my house. Drive by one of them to/from work every day. It is a problem.

On the transmission front, I wanted to pretty up the trans a bit so I did some research into painting magnesium parts and found a whole bunch of nasty and expensive options. I ran into a couple of mentions of Prekote Surface Pretreatment. It is supposed prevent corrosion and aid paint adhesion all while being non hazardous. I gave it a try and it does seem to be non hazardous because I splashed it all over my fade and arms as I was applying it and did no have any reaction. After treatment I put on a few coats of Tempo LYC Gray Engine Enamel and it looks pretty good. Only time will tell if it holds up.
Click to view attachment

Gear stack with stock gears, new syncro bands, new or nearly new syncro hubs and new/nearly new sliders.
Click to view attachment

The tail covers on the transmissions I picked up both had some problems so I have to swap the one on the car over before I can button it up. Of course it will need to be painted so I will have a bit of downtime for the swap. The weather is supposed to be great this week and we have plans solid for the next 3 weekends so I may not get to it until the end of October. hissyfit.gif

Need to get it in before the snow flies because if this trans does not meet my shifting expectations I will have to start shopping for a suby 5 speed to drop in over the winter...

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
I now officially have a problem...
To make a long story even longer, I was searching craigslist for an exhaust for my '05 STI daily driver because it is developing a small leak. A guy from a bit outside my area bought some parts from me over the summer and said that he frequently parts out Subaru's so I searched his area for parts. What is the second add that shows up? 2009 WRX transmission, 19000 miles, needs new output shaft bearing.

Call the guy up and apparently his son did a stage two update with a performance clutch to his new WRX and destroyed the output shaft bearing. He says the trans was shifting fine when it started to make noises spins freely in all gears when turned by hand. Couple of texts later and he agreed to sell the trans, ACT Heavy Duty Performance Street Disc Clutch Kit, ACT StreetLite Flywheel and two front axles for $300. Drive out to get it, the trans was as he described and the clutch/flywheel is in very good condition.
Now I have a problem.

Click to view attachment

I have a really fresh 901 almost ready to go back in and the parts to build a really nice close ratio track box. headbang.gif

How do I not put the Suby trans in this in this winter?

Anybody in the market for a really nice 901 sideshifter?

Cheers,
Scott
DBCooper
Ha ha ha, good job. We're doing EXACTLY the same thing to my son's car right now. I've had that transmission in my car for a while now and believe me, you have no choice, you have to put it in. Seriously. And another plus is that no one's 901 is as good as they'd like it so you should have no shortage of takers for a good transmission. Means you should net out pretty well.

Well done. Again.

Chris H.
Nice score. $300 for a low-mileage 2009 trans? You STOLE that even if it needs a little work. And as DB said, there's always a market for a good 901. You'll be so happy with a Subaru trans. You CAN'T NOT DO IT. They paid more for the clutch/flywheel than you did for the whole setup.

Edit: LOL! Looks like the center diff is still in there! If it's still good that's worth ~$250ish on NASIOC

Click to view attachment
Amenson
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 7 2014, 01:34 PM) *

Ha ha ha, good job. We're doing EXACTLY the same thing to my son's car right now. I've had that transmission in my car for a while now and believe me, you have no choice, you have to put it in. Seriously. And another plus is that no one's 901 is as good as they'd like it so you should have no shortage of takers for a good transmission. Means you should net out pretty well.

Well done. Again.

Ya, I know that I really do not have a choice about putting it in. Whenever I walk by it I have to play with the shift rod, just so precise and crisp feeling.

I will finish the 901 that I am building and install it in the car to get a few miles on it before the snow flies. Have enjoy the fruits of my labor and prove that it is built properly. Then I can put it up for sale to fund the parts to install the Suby trans.

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 7 2014, 07:29 PM) *

Nice score. $300 for a low-mileage 2009 trans? You STOLE that even if it needs a little work. And as DB said, there's always a market for a good 901. You'll be so happy with a Subaru trans. You CAN'T NOT DO IT. They paid more for the clutch/flywheel than you did for the whole setup.

Edit: LOL! Looks like the center diff is still in there! If it's still good that's worth ~$250ish on NASIOC

The clutch/flywheel setup is probably going to seal the deal and make the swap happen this winter. Had I had to purchase it, the setup that came with the trans. would have been toward the top of the list and cost ~$1k. Now I can toss an OBX lsd in it instead!

I have all of the parts to the trans. I dropped in the center diff so that I could spin the input shaft and see the front diff turn. It looks a bit beat up from when the bearing failed so I probably won't sell it because I can't guarantee the condition.

If anybody is thinking about getting a fresh 901 sideshifter, the second one that I am building could be put together with any combination of stock gears plus M,S,X,Z. shades.gif

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
Every time I look for parts for my daily driver I find Suby 5mt's for sale blink.gif

There are two '02 WRX 5MT's for sale with bad center diff's for sale in the Columbus Ohio area. One guy is looking for offers and getting none and one is listed for $150 plus an R160 as partial trade. My guess is both can be had for next to nothing. They are listed in a closed Subaru facebook group so if you are interested I will have to send your contact information to the sellers. Just send me a PM.

Cheers,
Scott
CptTripps
I need to get you up here to give me some pointers on my build. I likely did a few things very wrong and having someone else that's done a subie build take a look at it, would be great. I've had a few take a look, but yours seems to be the closest to mine...and you're only a few hours away. wink.gif
Amenson
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Nov 6 2014, 10:59 AM) *

I need to get you up here to give me some pointers on my build. I likely did a few things very wrong and having someone else that's done a subie build take a look at it, would be great. I've had a few take a look, but yours seems to be the closest to mine...and you're only a few hours away. wink.gif

This is entertaining....I have started looking at your build and a few others as reference for the suby 5mt and water air intercooler details!

It would be nice to get up there to give you some pointers but while you are relatively close, all of my "free" time is booked converting the PORSTI tans. Not to mention I have a '70 C10 that will be torn down to the frame starting thanksgiving week sawzall-smiley.gif

You are welcome to come down and check mine out some time. Always cold beer in the garage beer.gif

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
The 2014 version of the Late Haulers Hot Rod Power Tour video is finally in the public domain. Enjoy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdv4WFbOTw8

Major PorSTI Shenanigans at 2:27, 11:43 and 13:57.

Back to putting together a bullet proof drivetrain for next year. smash.gif

Cheers,
Scott
Mike Bellis
When I did my first V8 conversion I use the "upgrade 911 mounts". First start, put it in second gear, eased the clutch pedal up with no gas, ripped the 911 mount apart at idle torque.

I went to solid steel after that. Never had another problem.
Amenson
I couldn't stand looking at the suby trans sitting under the bench any longer so I pulled the 901 and bolted up the 5mt after work today. smash.gif

Liberated from the 901.
Click to view attachment

The clutch assembly feels like it weighs half as much as the KEP parts!
Click to view attachment

Looks pretty good in there.
Click to view attachment

Going to have to remake the exhaust cross over.
Click to view attachment

I have the parts and material to make a transmission mount similar to DBCoopers.
Can't wait to start making parts again welder.gif

Cheers,
Scott
76-914
Enjoy, they grow up and leave the garage before you know it!
CptTripps
Get a set of Ian's motor mounts while you're in there. You'll surely never run into the problem you had on the Power Tour again!
Amenson
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 9 2014, 07:27 PM) *

Enjoy, they grow up and leave the garage before you know it!

lol-2.gif
It stuck around in the garage a bit too long the first time, it is getting booted in spring this time.

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 10 2014, 06:12 AM) *

Get a set of Ian's motor mounts while you're in there. You'll surely never run into the problem you had on the Power Tour again!

I was trying to buy the transmission mounts from Ian but I don't think that he is up and running again quite yet.

Eventually I will make a cradle to move the engine/trans back to align the axles better using a hybrid of the back of DBCoopers mount tied in to the trailing arm ears like Ruby914's mount.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Making the transmission side mount now will save a step when I make the new cradle down the road some time.

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
I think that I just stepped on a mid-mue slope...not supper slippery but slick enough. rolling.gif

I have been agonizing over what to do about the CV's. I eventually want to run 108mm CV's but that requires a 5 lug setup, which I really do not want to do now. I can run stock 914's with Ian's conversion axles and then jump to 944's when I do the 5 lug...but then I am stuck with the smaller CV's unless I want to change axles again.

So...I just happen to have a '83 SC Boge front suspension...complete. I did some looking and it seems like the 914 strut inserts will fit the 911 Boge's and the ball joints seem like they should be the same also. Can I really just pop the current struts off of the ball joints, swap the inserts into the SC struts and bolt them back onto the ball joints?

Assuming this is the case, anybody have an 23.3 ET 7x15 phone dial or two laying round that they want to get rid of. I have a set of three, but one is marked as being repaired.

Then I can use my "new" tires (well, at least three of them, one is already on the wear bar for some strange reason confused24.gif) and get this done reasonably inexpensively.

Cheers,
Scott
DBCooper
QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 12 2014, 01:21 PM) *

I think that I just stepped on a mid-mue slope...not supper slippery but slick enough. rolling.gif

Ha ha ha, you are SO screwed! Grin and bear it, though, when you're through it it will all be done and good.

Can I really just pop the current struts off of the ball joints, swap the inserts into the SC struts and bolt them back onto the ball joints?

Yes you can. I think mine's an 87 so a little different and I think we used the 911 inserts and ball joints, but that's how it's done.

Have fun.

r_towle
QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 12 2014, 04:21 PM) *

I have been agonizing over what to do about the CV's. I eventually want to run 108mm CV's but that requires a 5 lug setup, which I really do not want to do now. I can run stock 914's with Ian's conversion axles and then jump to 944's when I do the 5 lug...but then I am stuck with the smaller CV's unless I want to change axles again.

So...I just happen to have a '83 SC Boge front suspension...complete. I did some looking and it seems like the 914 strut inserts will fit the 911 Boge's and the ball joints seem like they should be the same also. Can I really just pop the current struts off of the ball joints, swap the inserts into the SC struts and bolt them back onto the ball joints?

Assuming this is the case, anybody have an 23.3 ET 7x15 phone dial or two laying round that they want to get rid of. I have a set of three, but one is marked as being repaired.

Then I can use my "new" tires (well, at least three of them, one is already on the wear bar for some strange reason confused24.gif) and get this done reasonably inexpensively.

Cheers,
Scott

Take a picture of the back of the wheel.
Oddly, I might have one...but I am not very smart about all the right numbers, so post a pic, and I will too.

Rich
Amenson
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 13 2014, 06:27 AM) *

Take a picture of the back of the wheel.
Oddly, I might have one...but I am not very smart about all the right numbers, so post a pic, and I will too.

Rich

The back of one of the spokes will say "7x15 ET23.3"
I tried to take a picture but they are too dirty to show the numbers clearly.

Thanks,
Scott
Mike Bellis

I think I have a pair of them. I will need to check the condition. In total I have at least 10 phone dials in various sizes.
Amenson
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Dec 13 2014, 08:05 AM) *

I think I have a pair of them. I will need to check the condition. In total I have at least 10 phone dials in various sizes.

They don't have to be pretty, just straight w/o too much curb rash. I have to strip the ones I have and will probably repaint some non stock color.
Amenson
I finally received my cable shift setup from Ian! Also started mocking up the transmission mount. Should have it mostly made tomorrow.

Click to view attachment

I picked up a pair of 108mm CV stubs and a boxster hub. The base of the hub centric ring has a raised edge that interferes with the phone dials. Should be easy to turn down on a lathe...good incentive to get mine up an running finally. This is not correct...the wheel fits fine with a brake rotor in place headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

I started pulling apart my SC front struts. I picked up one of Doug's strut wrenches and even using it the nut does not want to budge. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Scott
r_towle
QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 28 2014, 10:25 PM) *

I finally received my cable shift setup from Ian! Also started mocking up the transmission mount. Should have it mostly made tomorrow.

Click to view attachment

I picked up a pair of 108mm CV stubs and a boxster hub. The base of the hub centric ring has a raised edge that interferes with the phone dials. Should be easy to turn down on a lathe...good incentive to get mine up an running finally.

Click to view attachment

I started pulling apart my SC front struts. I picked up one of Doug's strut wrenches and even using it the nut does not want to budge. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Scott

A two or three foot pipe wrench does the trick.
CptTripps
Looking good man!
Amenson
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 28 2014, 09:08 PM) *

A two or three foot pipe wrench does the trick.

Only took a foot long cheater! It was nice to know that I could lean on it a bit, Thanks!

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 29 2014, 11:00 AM) *

Looking good man!

Thanks, it is starting to look like your car, only a heck of a lot less shiny biggrin.gif

It was great to spend a few hours fabricating today, even got to use my huge new (to Me) anvil to tweak the ears of the stock suby mount into place.

Click to view attachment

A quick trip through the sandblaster and it will be ready to weld. I was planning to use the MIG but the gaps are tight enough to TIG.

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
I finally got the transmission side mount cleaned and tacked. The remaining rubber on the half of the mount would not come off. I eventually used a wire brush on my plug in grinder, sandblasted it, more wire brushing, and then more sandblasting.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now to make the body side part of the mount.

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
It was a beautiful winter day in Ohio (above 40F) so I took the opportunity to work in the garage.

Welded up the transmission mount.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I jumped over to the other project. Cut the roof off and drove it around at Thanksgiving.

Click to view attachment

Today I remove the doors, seat, fuel tank and other random stuff from the interior. And started cutting sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

Ready for stage 3, 12 inches out of the center of the frame!

Click to view attachment

Mmmm, perty:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I finally found a set of '04 STI DOJ's for the drive-shafts. Lined up with 108mm cv's, stubs and Boxster Hubs. Should be as strong as I can get with OEM parts.

Click to view attachment

Good day of work!

Cheers,
Scott
914GTSTI
Scott, what in-car shifter did you use ? And what car are the 108's stubs from ? I'm not a Porsche guy I just play one in my Garage.

In 2007 I found you build and some where along the way I got stopped. Now I'm back on it and may even go with the Subaru 5 speed.

Randy
Amenson
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Jan 18 2015, 08:07 PM) *

Scott, what in-car shifter did you use ? And what car are the 108's stubs from ? I'm not a Porsche guy I just play one in my Garage.

In 2007 I found you build and some where along the way I got stopped. Now I'm back on it and may even go with the Subaru 5 speed.

Randy

And I though that my project had been stalled... sad.gif Get back at it.

I have an MR2 shifter. It is not great and will be modified substantially before it gets installed. The only other shifter with the correct stick to cable motion that I know of is the Lotus cable shifter (barrym is using one for his build).

The stubs came off of a pile of used axles that I found, not sure which actual vehicle they are from. I have an extra pair that I may sell once I confirm that they really do work with the Boxster hubs.

Cheers,
Scott
Amenson
Oh almighty supreme being of all things mechanical, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

My name is Scott and I have a problem. It has been about 2 hours since my last transmission purchase.

I was shopping for a busted early 2000's suby trans to scavange the VSS assembly from. This what I found:
Click to view attachment

US Impreza 2.5RS MY99-01 TY754VCAAB

Seems to be in really good condition, was apparently removed from the car to do a STI swap. If anybody in the area is looking for one let me know, I will let it go very cheap once I get the VSS parts removed. 914forme...you know you want to replace the old one you have, all it will cost is your set of tube beaders KMA.gif

On the topic of old 5mt's I would like to share a link to a good overview of the differences between the different generations of Suby 5mt's.

THE-Transmission-Thread-2.0

Apparently the internal oiling of the early transmissions requires the oil slinging off of the center diff to work properly. It is not recommended to use that style in 2wd configuration.

On another note, my OBX lsd arrived cheer.gif
Click to view attachment

I have the upgraded washer and bolt kit to install.

I have hit a small snag in my transmission mount creation. While checking that everything is centered and level I found that the engine is 1.5 deg off. Lots of measurements later and found that the cross bar is aligned with the body but the engine is not in line with the cross bar. Looks like the engine mount was bent somewhere along the way, probably when I had the mounts pull though. Not a big deal to fix but I have to pull the pan and some plumbing to get the mount off. headbang.gif

Cheers,
Scott
DBCooper
My MR2 shifter was modified to sit flat and fit, but my son mounted his a little higher with some home improvement store brackets so it just bolted up:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Pretty clever, cheap, works well, and no need to cut anything. He's apparently smarter than I am.

Amenson
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 1 2015, 11:21 AM) *

Pretty clever, cheap, works well, and no need to cut anything. He's apparently smarter than I am.

That looks wonderfully simple and effective, unfortunately my unrelenting need to over engineer everything will result in a solution significantly more effort that that. I really want the shift knob to be located adjacent to the steering wheel. I am considering using only the pivot block and linkage from the MR2 and putting it on an elevated base like this:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have also considered changing the motion ratios and having a much longer shaft like this:

Click to view attachment

I am concerned that the second option would really magnify any slop in the linkage/cables.

How is the slop in your son's car?

Cheers,
Scott
DBCooper
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 2 2015, 05:52 AM) *

How is the slop in your son's car?

It was good before and he says it's better now, but since I haven't driven since then I have to say I don't know. Mine's very good and I think probably good enough to work well with your long lever. Too bad you're so far away, when people ask me questions like that I usually give them my keys and ask them to try to not hit anything. Unless they're drooling or I'm pretty sure they're nitwits, those guys just get a ride.

Amenson
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 2 2015, 07:06 AM) *

Too bad you're so far away, when people ask me questions like that I usually give them my keys and ask them to try to not hit anything. Unless they're drooling or I'm pretty sure they're nitwits, those guys just get a ride.

You are a brave man letting people drive your car. The only people who have driven the PorSTI are my wife, father, mother and buddy Jake. The only reason Jake got to drive it was he helped build my garage...and he is the most careful guy in the entire world. driving.gif

Does anybody have a tail shift engine mount laying around that they would be willing to sell? I am looking at reworking the engine mount to correct the slight lean and thinking that I should get rid of the huge cast side shift bar while I am at it. The tail shift bar seems like it should be much lighter. I am also considering making a bar but really do not need another project.

Cheers,
Scott

DBCooper
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 6 2015, 08:11 AM) *

You are a brave man letting people drive your car.

Ha ha, I think you actually meant "foolish", no?

The only people who have driven the PorSTI are my wife ... mother... driving.gif

Well now if you ask me THAT was pretty brave.

Amenson
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 6 2015, 09:55 AM) *

The only people who have driven the PorSTI are my wife ... mother... driving.gif

Well now if you ask me THAT was pretty brave.

Not really, the wife knows that if anything happens to the car it will result in extended garage time. My Mom's daily driver in the summer is an E-Type, she is classic car approved.

Cheers,
Scott
ruby914
Scott,
I am working on a pitch mount of sorts. It looks like you may have this area of your car clear to look at so I thought I would show you what I have come up with. I don't hear much chatter on the need for it but I think I will feel better with it tied in on top.
I picked up an aftermarket VW bug urethane motor mount. The plan is to weld some mounting points to both sides of the rear firewall, bolt the motor mount to that and then to the trany. I will have slotted holes for and aft at the trany and a nut plate with slotted holes up and down at the fire wall. The fire wall has a joggle in it so I will use a partial spacer there.
I will try to up date my thread as this progresses...
Oh, and I made a 1/2" tube frame riser for my shifter.
914GTSTI
Scott, has anyone used the plastic MR2 shifted ?
Randy
DBCooper
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 6 2015, 10:09 AM) *

Not really, the wife knows that if anything happens to the car it will result in extended garage time. My Mom's daily driver in the summer is an E-Type, she is classic car approved.

Wow, good taste, good sense and good genes. Good job on all counts!

Amenson
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Feb 6 2015, 10:30 AM) *

Scott,
I am working on a pitch mount of sorts. It looks like you may have this area of your car clear to look at so I thought I would show you what I have come up with. I don't hear much chatter on the need for it but I think I will feel better with it tied in on top.

Oh, and I made a 1/2" tube frame riser for my shifter.

Your shifter is what got me thinking about improving the shift knob placement!
Unfortunately I do not have your composite skills so I have to make sure whatever I build is aesthetically pleasing...although your tube frame is pretty nice looking too.

I think with factory rubber Suby mounts, the pitch stop could be beneficial. I am replacing the engine mounts that I busted with the J-west urethane part and the mounts that I am making in the back are nearly solid so I should not have much engine motion at all. wacko.gif

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Feb 6 2015, 11:05 AM) *

Scott, has anyone used the plastic MR2 shifted ?
Randy

I think that the stick to cable motion is not correct with the plastic shifter.

Cheers,
Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.