Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got high miles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Most of the regular participants of this forum have what I would call "low" miles on thier 914's. Think about it! - if you only put 3,000 miles per year on your 914, the minimum mileage you'd have is 90,000 miles!

Who has the a halfway orignal-in-appearance 914 with monster miles? If you aren't familiar with it, there's a fellow named Mike Robbins (Indiana) who has a Speedster that he's driven virtually every day since new. Last I heard, he had over 400,000 miles on it & that was some time ago. And, it's mostly stock!

Who's out there to compete with this?

Photos are mandatory!
boxstr
Mike was at the 2006 Portland Parade this past week, with 500,000 miles on his "bathtub" Speedster. He had to leave the Parade early, he had to drive back east to attend the 356 registry event.
CCLINROADTRIP
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(boxstr @ Aug 12 2006, 01:49 PM) *

Mike was at the 2006 Portland Parade this past week, with 500,000 miles on his "bathtub" Speedster. He had to leave the Parade early, he had to drive back east to attend the 356 registry event.
CCLINROADTRIP

Mike's a unique person & the only one I know who has enjoyed his Porsche from day one. Takes a lot of time, $ & dedication.

I'll be very surprised if we come up with a 914 person with even half the miles.
ClayPerrine
This is Betty's 74 914 1.8L. It is fairly close to stock. The only things different from stock are:

1: Low profile, 50 series tires.
2. A harness bar and harness for the driver.
3. An aftermarket, gear reduction starter.

The rest of the car is as bone stock as we can make it.

Betty bought it in early 1985, and she is the second owner.

She drives it every day to work, and runs it in Autocrosses.

It just passed 300,000 miles.

It still has the original engine and transmission in it (both have been rebuilt to stock specs), so it's an "all numbers matching" car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This was the first 914 I ever rode in or drove.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 13 2006, 07:39 PM) *

This is Betty's 74 914 1.8L. It is fairly close to stock. The only things different from stock are:

1: Low profile, 50 series tires.
2. A harness bar and harness for the driver.
3. An aftermarket, gear reduction starter.

The rest of the car is as bone stock as we can make it.

Betty bought it in early 1985, and she is the second owner.

She drives it every day to work, and runs it in Autocrosses.

It just passed 300,000 miles.

It still has the original engine and transmission in it (both have been rebuilt to stock specs), so it's an "all numbers matching" car.
Wow! You guys are the current champs! That takes dedication & love! My next 914 will be exactly the same - driven every day, regardless. Don't get me wrong, I love my garage queen (or I wouldn't put up with it), but I'll never do a concours car again.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This was the first 914 I ever rode in or drove.

914-8
My old 74 2.0 had lots of miles on it, not known exactly, but it probably had 200,000 on it when I bought it, and I put on over 100K myself. I daily drove it for years, never let me down! The engine and trans were rebuilt, but original to the car. Cosmetically all stock, except the radio. Fuel injected, etc.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914-8 @ Aug 24 2006, 07:09 PM) *

My old 74 2.0 had lots of miles on it, not known exactly, but it probably had 200,000 on it when I bought it, and I put on over 100K myself. I daily drove it for years, never let me down! The engine and trans were rebuilt, but original to the car. Cosmetically all stock, except the radio. Fuel injected, etc.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Great looking 914! Curious about the floor mats (since my 914 is red too). Make 'em yourself or source them?
914-8
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 25 2006, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(914-8 @ Aug 24 2006, 07:09 PM) *

IPB Image
IPB Image

Great looking 914! Curious about the floor mats (since my 914 is red too). Make 'em yourself or source them?

I bought the floor mats, but it was a long time ago.

I'm pretty sure they were from Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories. I think they are gone now.

Weird, when I'm looking at that picture, it looks like the fender to cowl seal is missing or painted red. But it was just the stock black piece. Optical illusion (or just a fuzzy digital picture of an old picture).
Ferg
according to the reciepts I have dating to 87, this car has about 250k on it biggrin.gif
Ferg
jd74914
I just made an offer on a car with over 750,000 documented miles, and it has been parked for 15 years! Its not what you would call nice though smile.gif
familienauto
Our car has a few over 200,000 miles to the best of our knowledge and is stock except for a Monza exhaust and a few weird interior quirks (console and an unknown switch on the dash).

Zach
*kennyd*914
I went through this recently as my 1.8L was becoming, lets say "Tired". It's difficult to want to maintain origionality when to option to upgrade is available. And let me add this, a fresh 2.0L makes for a welcome addition to my family.

Ken
championgt1
Our car has just under 319,000 well documented and cared for miles. The 2.0 motor and transmission were rebuilt in 2003 by the previous owner. The motor is stock other than euro pistons and a hydraulic cam.
championgt1
Nuther
championgt1
Last one!
jonferns
looking at the all the paperwork that came with this car, dating back to the date it was purchased, I'd say it has around 150k....maybe

IPB Image

-JON

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 28 2007, 10:32 PM) *

I just made an offer on a car with over 750,000 documented miles, and it has been parked for 15 years! Its not what you would call nice though smile.gif

Going thru old posts - did you ever buy this car? Would rank right up there with Mike Robins', based on miles?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.