Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rollcage: Backpad= yea or nea???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
My 914 gets it full custom TC Design cage this weekend.

I was informed by Tony that the backpad can be left in place and the cage can be installed around/over it.

So right now I have to decide, once the cage is in, it'll be too late to install a backpad or to properly remove the backpad without destroying it if I want to take it out.
Brad Roberts
Lose it like a bad habit.

Clean the area up BEFORE he welds in the cage.

B
scotty
Think of the weight savings, man!!!!
ChrisReale
I ditched mine....Try not to rip the tabs that are held onto the top.
URY914
Rip it out.

Paul
Mueller
I ditched mine....Try not to rip the tabs that are held onto the top.

too late, two of the four tabs are already history smile.gif

otherwise the backpad is in really nice shape.....

I take it the drivers side door storage compartment needs to be axed as well??

The doors are off the car already as is the front window to give Tony more room, interior is stripped, but not cleaned up as nice as I'd like it to be...I guess I'm off to Wal-Mart for more brake parts cleaner boldblue.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 20 2003, 06:16 PM)
I take it the drivers side door storage compartment needs to be axed as well??

yupp, as well as the speakers ...
Andy
Mueller
Hey Andy, I noticed on your website for your cage install that you do not have any of the interior parts installed.

Was it a major PITA to install 1,2,3 and 4 once cage was done?
(see next two pictures)
Mueller
no wise cracks about my messy garage fighting19.gif
SirAndy
1. doesn't fit anymore
2. doesn't fit anymore
3. no problem, seals + padding still fit
3a. sun visors did NOT go back in cause you can't move them up completely anymore
3b. front hinges have to be removed from the top
4. no problem, seals + padding still fit

Andy
Mueller
don't you "need" 1 and 2??

or at least 1 I would think????
Brad Roberts
Leave 1. on the car if you want too. But you had better never want to remove it. The main hoop will rest against it.

I have NO idea why you think you "need" it.

B
fiid
Lose the backpad and sell it to someone who is trying to have an original-sh car. If you're going for the track - it's just extra weight - and IMHOP doesn't look that great anyway. Look at Bill Pickering's car - he carpeted the firewall - it looks nice, and means business.

Fiid.
Mueller
I have NO idea why you think you "need" it.

without the car in front of me, I was thinking that part had something to do with sealing the top to the car, also due to the latches, but now looking at the car, I was wrong

I think I am better off keeping those parts off, that way I can sell the parts as a complete set more easily
drew365
I have my sunvisors in place with the cage. They are all the way down with a velcro patch keeping them against the windshield. I'm 6'1" and can see fine and they do help with the sun sometimes. Just an option if you do plan on driving on the street.
nine14cats
Hi Mike,

As Fiid mentioned, I carpeted my backpad area with Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpet...it's really light, but makes it slightly more comfortable in the interior...I did the same with footwells....

It was really cheap, too!

laugh.gif

Bill
SirAndy
QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 21 2003, 07:02 AM)
I have my sunvisors in place with the cage. They are all the way down with a velcro patch keeping them against the windshield. I'm 6'1" and can see fine and they do help with the sun sometimes. Just an option if you do plan on driving on the street.

strange, they were always in my way rolleyes.gif
up or down or on the windshield, they were always taking away from my field of view ...
so they had to go. i wear sunglasses now.

Andy
flyloki
Would removing the backpad make any more room for the seat to move aft? Does anyone know of other sport type seats that could be fitted to gain legroom?

TIA

JB
Tony C
BTW Mike, Its the NEXT weekend, ie the 1st and 2nd....

-Tony
SirAndy
QUOTE(flyloki @ Oct 21 2003, 12:19 PM)
Would removing the backpad make any more room for the seat to move aft? Does anyone know of other sport type seats that could be fitted to gain legroom?

that's pretty much a no. the pad-part behind your seat is really thin, i don't think anything can be gained there.
how tall are you???

Andy
flyloki
Just a hair under 6' 3"
SirAndy
QUOTE(flyloki @ Oct 21 2003, 04:32 PM)
Just a hair under 6' 3"

hmm, i'm 6,2 and i still have one or two positions left before i hit the back-firewall.
maybe you just have long legs wink.gif

Andy
J P Stein
So, what's the problem?
I can get my back pad in and out. Hint......the center section can be made to be removeable. Velcro is wonderful.
ChrisReale
JP, did I read right that you have a custom butt pad made thinner? Tell me more if the grapevine told me the truth
914Timo
I agree with JP.

So far I think I am the only one voted for keeping the back pad.

IMHO interiors without some kind of back pad or upholstery are ugly barf.gif

I dont like very much the original desingn of the back pad. Somebody should start making conversion back pads you could use with roll gage and different seats.
J P Stein
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Oct 22 2003, 12:14 AM)
JP,  did I read right that you have a custom butt pad made thinner?  Tell me more if the grapevine told me the truth

The grapevine speaketh truth..... skinny butt pad for a skinny butt. It works OK, but this track session showed I really need a race seat AND a dead pedal.

A buddy (since moved to CA or some other form of hell)
made it for me, bout 1 inch thick......it's brown, just in case I scare myself.

Timo: I'm not fer or agin the back pad...just gave an option. I'm thinking of going to Perlon (sp) carpet. I agree, the fire wall is too ugly to be left uncovered, but I'd like to loose some weight.
914Timo
Oh, I wondered the same thing as you did JP. I was not very precise in my previous message. I have sawn pics from your back pad and I inspected mine before throwing it away. It is not impossible to split it to two or three separate parts.

I think if you use any back pad, it should be removable. I would never use any back pad that is not removable.

About weight, isn it more effective remove some metal than some cardboard and upholstery ?? The back pad is in nearly identical place in the center of the car.
ChrisReale
Well, I am prolly moving to the bay area soon, so maybe I'll look your friend up...or just get a real race seat like I been meaning too. I am thinking about doing some sort of carpeted rear firewall sorta like John Rodgers has in his race car. Beats the all steel look Im sporting now
aufaber
QUOTE(flyloki @ Oct 21 2003, 11:19 AM)

TIA

JB

Get a MoMo wheel and a spacer to moove the wheel toward you a few inches. That helps a ton, gives you a lot more room for the knees. Made it so I could dirve teh car with the stock seat.

Now that I have an aluminum shell kirkey bolted to the floor that isn't really a problem. Shorter drivers can't see oved the dash and the rear view mirror isn't a huge blind spot anymore.

-Aaron G.

I'm 6'4".
flyloki
A Momo would definitely be in order. Any other replacement seats that would work? They actually would have to move fore and aft as the car is going to be a daily driver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.