Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter motor removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ojai914
OK, so my starter has a bad solenoid so I'm gonna take the whole starter motor out. I can see 2 bolts that hold it on. One is easily accessable, the other is way up and it's hard to get to. I can't get an end wrench or a socket on it. Are there any tricks? I've got a '70. I searched for it both on the web and in my Haynes manual and found nothing.

Thanks!
Aaron Cox
second person required to hold the tail end of it in the engine bay......

not super hard.....
lapuwali
Remove the top bolt first (from inside the engine bay, not from under the car). Then, from under the car, after you've disconnected everything electrically, disconnect the bottom bolt while holding the starter. No second person required.
ojai914
But how do I get to the top bolt? I see no way to loosen it. And I don't see how someone holding the starter would help get a bolt loose...

EDIT: I don't see a way to get to the bolt from the engine bay, there's a big shroud that prevents access.
Mueller
QUOTE(ojai914 @ Aug 12 2006, 01:21 PM) *

But how do I get to the top bolt? I see no way to loosen it. And I don't see how someone holding the starter would help get a bolt loose...

EDIT: I don't see a way to get to the bolt from the engine bay, there's a big shroud that prevents access.

you loosen a NUT inside the engine compartment...the bolt is from turning by the starter....
ojai914
Where is it located in the engine bay? Any pics? I'm so lost...
lapuwali
Depends. On my car, the bolt head is in the engine bay, and the nut is on the starter. The nut/bolt is next to the shroud, not behind it. I'd take a picture, but I just realized my camera battery needs recharging.
ojai914
NVM, I just found it. It was hidden behind a hose. Silly me. Thanks for your help.
turboman808
Well this is good to know I couldn't get to mine either and figured I would wait til I got it on a lift. Try and fix it tomorrow!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 12 2006, 01:45 PM) *

Well this is good to know I couldn't get to mine either and figured I would wait til I got it on a lift. Try and fix it tomorrow!

One of the FEW things on a 914 that is NOT easier on a lift is getting to that nut .... The Cap'n
John G
I used a box wrench rather than trying to socket that top nut. Go at it from the engine bay reach WAYYYY down inside, and use a box wrench. Slow, but easier on my rig.

As someone else said, take off the top nut first, then do the bottom bolt from underneath while holding up the starter with your other hand.

John
plas76targa
hijacked.gif Anyone have a picture of the wiring on the selenoid? I currently searching the board for one. Thanks@!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.