Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All Targas Flex or do they!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
When I bought another 914 2 months ago I new it had a broken back. When I picked it up in the middle I saw that it flexed about 3/8" from the windshield to the rear hoop and I knew it was in for some major work.
Today I jacked my "good car" to adjust the clutch and just for fun decided to see if the car "flexed" at all. To my surprise, my "tight" recently restored car had about a 1/16" difference between the windshield and the rear hoop with the wheels off the ground and on.
Just how good is good and how bad is bad?
Just how bad is yours?
JPB
Good question and can't wait to hear some answers. As for mine, iduno. Its still on jack stands and not at the dognuts.

beer.gif Cool question!
SirAndy
they all flex a little. 1/16 sounds about right, nothing to be worried about ...

smile.gif Andy
tracks914
Come on guys, go jack up your car and see how much it flexes. Unless you are afraid to know the answer!!!
Trekkor
My car's still on the trailer, but I will try it sometime.
It will be interesting to me to see if it flexes much with the Engman long kit installed.

KT
retrotech
I have a lift that sets at fronrt edge of floor, and rear motor mounts. I picked up a 79 SC Targa, and the doors would barely close there was so muck flex/sag.
With my 914 there is no noticable change in the door gap. I didn't measure window to bar. Allot of that is because that heavy engine hanging rear of lift point, but its stil a Targa issue.
PORobinSCHE
i have lifted my car several times using either the jacking pads or 'gasp' the front control arms. yet, i can still open the doors with the window up. so i am guessing there isn't much flexing going on.
which considering the floors, that is quite a testimony!!
tracks914
On my new project car with 3/8" (or more) of sag, the doors still open and close OK.
bondo
Here's what I get... I hope it's precise enough for you. smile.gif

tracks914
QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 13 2006, 05:26 PM) *

Here's what I get... I hope it's precise enough for you. smile.gif

WOW that just over a 1/16" (.064") w00t.gif
Good work, now I'm going to have to rig up something and do the same. My tape measure just doesn't measure up to your digital verniers. shocked[1].gif
That car looks stripped down. Does it have an engine in it?
bondo
No engine, no interior, but complete otherwise. I'm sure it'd be a little more when together.
Tobra
I measured with a piece of twine, pretty close to none. I can open and close both doors when it has the rear wheels off the ground, the stands at the rear donut and the targa top in the living room, which is where it has been since I got it.
rjames
I haven't used any type of measuring device, but since I did my long repairs I can jack up the car from the rear jack points (donuts) and open and close both doors no problem. I do see a little bit more of a gap at the door, but it's probably around 1/16 of an inch. Pretty pleased with that!
Root_Werks
My 914 flexes a little. biggrin.gif

You wanna see flex? Go find an 89' 911 speedster (a real one) and push down on the rear bumper. Then keep your eye on the door gap. ohmy.gif
tracks914
Wow so far 30% have no flex. Must be re-supported race cars or just really, good, sound, rust free, SoCal cars.
Lou W
I'd be curious to see how much flexing happens after the installation of the Engman kit.

Mine's on jackstands with the Engman kit with no suspension or doors on it so I can't measure it now.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Aug 14 2006, 08:29 PM) *

Wow so far 30% have no flex. Must be re-supported race cars or just really, good, sound, rust free, SoCal cars.

All stock ones flex, even with the engman kit installed. It dosn't address the area that flexes. This has been discussed at length before.

After helping a friend install a engman kit we checked the car for flex and found about 1/16" or so. I've checked 3 other cars since and they all flex about the same amount.

Bob
tracks914
It seems all the stiffener kits support he rear end but has anyone noticed any movement at the front firewall?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Aug 16 2006, 06:28 AM) *

It seems all the stiffener kits support he rear end but has anyone noticed any movement at the front firewall?

I don't think the front firewall area is nearly as big a deal as the rear half of the 914. Mostly because you have that cross brace (fire wall) seperating the gas tank from the front trunk. I think that ads a ton of rigidness to the front of the 914. I know a few folks that have welded the factory seems all the way instead of just spot welding. I hear that also makes a big difference. driving.gif

Myself, I have a GT stiffing kit laying around and plan on picking up the Engman kit this summer to install this winter. I'll probably call it good from there. wink.gif
TravisNeff
Mine flexes with the engman kit installed. The part that is moving is the targa bar/backpad area. you can do a GT kit in the rear, and and engman kit for the cabin - but nothing ties the two together besides the sheet metal that already flexes. I would think that a kit like engman's for the rear would be great - but on the inside of the longs and tie into the firewall.
aveale
they all flex.

anyone who says otherwise is in denial...or has a full cage.

T
maf914
QUOTE(aveale @ Aug 16 2006, 07:59 AM) *

they all flex.

anyone who says otherwise is in denial...or has a full cage.

That is correct. They all flex. With or without an Engman kit, Meyuer clamshells, welded metal 916 roof, full cage, half cage, no cage, you name it.

It's all a matter of degree. But, obviously, some flex more than others! laugh.gif
John
If you can't measure the deflection (all steel car bodies deflect), then either you don't know how to measure it, or your measuring equipment isn't precise enough.
tracks914
I thought 31% seemed high maybe just a bit of denial going on here.... or 1/3 of all cars are race cars?
BTW the pole was with the jack on the rear donut and both wheels lifted off the ground.
budman5201
now can i add a roll bar like this that is attached on the front also, i bet that will eliminate flex!
plymouth37
I can't see any flex in mine, the 12 point cage doesn't hurt things either...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.