Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: Should Daimler dump Chrysler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Charles Deutsch
So far, the whole DaimlerChrysler thing hasn't been working out too well http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...mlerchrysler_dc . I, personally, never understood why a premium, German, luxury automaker would buy the company that brought us the K-car. IMO, Mercedes should dump Chrysler the same way BMW dumped money-bleeding Rover.
jonwatts
I hear they're bringing back the K-car.

Motto: Moving the Master Race into the 21st Century
Charles Deutsch
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-1...-mercedes_x.htm

Publicly, Mercedes executives say their plans have not been affected by
Chrysler's cash burn - estimated by analysts at more than $1 billion this
year. But privately, executives say Mercedes is slowing down technological
innovation, its hallmark for the past century. Furthermore, efforts to wring
out more savings through joint purchasing efforts with Chrysler and other
brands seem to be hurting Mercedes' quality.

That's Mercedes biggest problem now. In a recent survey of German car owners
conducted by Auto Motor und Sport motoring magazine, Lexus, Porsche, Honda
and BMW captured the four top slots, while Mercedes came in 17th. In J.D.
Power and Associates' 2003 U.S. vehicle dependability survey, Mercedes sank
to 26th place, from 16th a year ago.

"It's such a stark contrast to where they had been. In 1990, they were No.
1," said Brian Walters, J.D. Power's research director. "They just haven't
been able to keep up with the likes of Lexus and Toyota as a whole."
kdfoust
I think Mercedes' slide started when they dropped the "Engineered Like No Other" from their advertising in the early '90s. They wanted to become a warm and fuzzy Mercedes...I don't think so. One of my old-school Mercedes collector buddies calls them "Uncle Merciless" and appropos nickname for Mercedes prior to the 90s.

Kevin
Charles Deutsch
I blame Andy for Germany's decline. laugh.gif
Mueller
that brought us the K-car

if you did your research you'd find that the K car is what saved Chrysler from certain death, it also helped you and I and all consumers by offering at time unheard of car warrenties which started a trend
Charles Deutsch
You're right - it was a marvelous piece of, um, engineering.
jnp914
One of the factors that made Chrysler attractive to Mercedes was the same thing that made AMC attractive to Chrysler: JEEP.

Jeep was a huge cash cow for Chrysler. One of the first things the Naz..... uhhhh Mercedes management accomplished was the looting of Chrysler's cash reserves. A huge chunk of which was from Jeep.

Now, Jeep is being cheapened by Chrysler. The hardcore capability is being slowly leached out, replaced by the likes of the Liberty. Yeesh. I am on my 9th Jeep product (YJs, TJs, XJs) and the Liberty reeks of RAV 4. But it is a money maker for Mercedes, and it costs less to make.

Expect to see whatever remains of Chrysler less Jeep spun off to someone like Hyundai.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 21 2003, 10:03 AM)

why do you think i had to leave? laugh.gif
Charles Deutsch
idea.gif So that's why California has such big problems now ...
Mueller
call me strange, but I like my Hyundai !!!!
Charles Deutsch
The Stellar, right?
Pnambic
I thought I remembered that one of the big reasons that Daimler bought Chrysler was to obtain the manufacturing facilities already present here in the US thus getting around a lot of the taxes and tariffs and such incurred from shipping overseas.
confused24.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
Chysler Jeep is the devil. I am in the middle of a huge nightmare with them. I used to be a Jeep enthusiats and have owned several Jeeps but if and when my ordeal with Chrysler Jeep is ever over I will never purchase another Chrysler product ever. Unfortunately I may have to extend that sentiment to Mercedes as well.

GM, Porsche, Land Rover, BMW, & Harley Davidson have always treated me with respect when dealing with any aspect of the ownership process... finance, sales, service, etc. Chrysler is simply trying to milk the Jeep enthusiats for all it can.

Jeep can burn.
jnp914
You can rip Jeep, but please keep in mind that every time Jeep scratches its ear it is Adolph, Jurgen and Manfred yanking the string.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 21 2003, 11:08 AM)
idea.gif So that's why California has such big problems now ...

yepp, Arnold and me are taking over ... one state at the time ...
world-domination, finally it's within our grasp again.
conspiracy of the germs, ehr... Germans I mean.
happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
need4speed
Daimler bought them for the same reason any company buys another.

To eliminate competition.

The only question is - who's next? Ford? or GM?
jnp914
Competition? With what Benz products?

That would mean Mercedes would be moving down market. At the time Chrysler was sold, there wasn't one Chrysler branded car that any potential Mercedes buyer would buy. No overlap. None.

The most desirable products Chrysler had to offer in Europe were some minivans, the Viper, only Dodge did not exist in Europe so it was branded Chrysler, and Jeep.

If the only thing Mercedes wanted was to eliminate competition, it could have just sat back and watched Toyota devour Chrysler whole. Nothin' left but scraps. And it would have been a whole lot cheaper for Mercedes, when you consider what a millstone Chrysler turned out to be.
J P Stein
Big companies do stupid things.....cause they're now run by bean counters.

Boeing bought MacDonald-Douglas....worse yet, they allowed the Mac people to infiltrate the Boeing management system.....these are the same folks that rand MickeyDoug down the tubes by not investing in new products. Figure that one out confused24.gif
Charles Deutsch
QUOTE(need4speed @ Oct 21 2003, 12:28 PM)
Daimler bought them for the same reason any company buys another.

To eliminate competition.

The only question is - who's next? Ford? or GM?

Before their merger, Mercedes and Chrysler were probably the two auto companies that had the least product overlap. If I remember right, one of the stated reasons for the merger was that the combined company could save money sourcing and sharing parts, blah, blah, blah. At the time of the merger, Chrysler was actually the most profitable of the US car companies and I guess Daimler thought they would diversify, I dunno.
redshift
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 21 2003, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 21 2003, 10:03 AM)

why do you think i had to leave? laugh.gif

Poopie pants? Knocked up a Hindenberg?

M
redshift
MB has already lost their former fame, around here.

The fit and finish has fallen so far behind BMW, it's not even in the same class.

My folks both drive the big MBs, and my mother has (for the first time in 20 years) started talking about some BMW, and how great it drives.

It's not a real Chrysler.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Oct 21 2003, 01:59 PM)
Poopie pants? Knocked up a Hindenberg?

that too, but that's a completely different story wink.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
My wife drives an E320 station wagon. It's the second Benz we have had and it will be the last. Too many little problems that you would not normally associate with the likes of MB including an exploding battery! I read an article that said their quality control went down hill since 1991 when they started making so many different models.
Cheers, Elliot
Rusty
My father retired, while working as a consultant to Chrysler. There is an inside joke about the merger:

"How do you say Damlier-Chrysler in German?"

"Damlier. The 'Chrysler' is silent." w00t.gif
krk
Hm. Well, I actually find mergers/acquisitions interesting. I've been on both sides of this fence. As a buyer you have certain goals, and as as seller you have your own agenda. Both sides make internal predictions/projections and then bets are placed. Someone with "responsibility" is the "owner". It is very uncommon to see the whole story from either side -- NDA's usually keep the good bits quiet. The bigger the game, the larger the... well, you know.

Oh, did I mention that the oh-so-predictable market place does change under your feet? And it can toss a spanner into the works? Nah, that can't happen in the 914 world....

The second stage that is also interesting is the reality check. How do you deal with what you bought? How do you deal with being purchased? Did it really work out? Can you make it into something interesting? As the market changes/evolves, can you react appropriately? Etc.

These are difficult things to pull off. When they work, it's a wonderful thing, and when they don't (for whatever reason), they are what they are.

No, I can't fix a Jeep.

Sheesh, I'm troubled with my 914.

kim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.