Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Once upon the time in the east
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914 dror
Hello every body
1971 is the time
10 1.7L 914`s have come to the country disguised as vw`s with the code name 914
They were not allowed to enter the country as regular cars because there was no Porsche agency in Israel, in fact Porsche opened its first agency in 1996!
So smart people had found a loop hole - a rental car woo hoo
They (I don’t know who) brought those 10 cars in to Israel.
35 years have past since then and as far as rumors go I think between 4 to 6 cars are still here.
Today there are no parts to be found here so every thing had to come from over seas, which makes it all slower and harder
But behold!
The resto project has begun

shiiiiiiiit pics to large mad.gif
i`ll work on it
catch you later

dror
pfierb
QUOTE(914 dror @ Aug 14 2006, 09:03 AM) *

Hello every body
1971 is the time
10 1.7L 914`s have come to the country disguised as vw`s with the code name 914
They were not allowed to enter the country as regular cars because there was no Porsche agency in Israel, in fact Porsche opened its first agency in 1996!
So smart people had found a loop hole - a rental car woo hoo
They (I don’t know who) brought those 10 cars in to Israel.
35 years have past since then and as far as rumors go I think between 4 to 6 cars are still here.
Today there are no parts to be found here so every thing had to come from over seas, which makes it all slower and harder
But behold!
The resto project has begun

shiiiiiiiit pics to large mad.gif
i`ll work on it
catch you later

dror

As far as the pictures being to large the word is dreck !
aveale
can't wait for more details!!
Brad Roberts
Ths pics must be REALLY big!! The forum software shrinks even the largest ones!

B
pete-stevers
show us some pics
and welcome to the club!!!!
vesnyder
dror - Welcome to the Club! I suspect you need as much distraction as anybody, with what you guys are living through! Good luck with the car!
TINCAN914
welcome.png
beerchug.gif Figure out how to post those pictures.....
So.Cal.914
Well it's good to hear back from you, hope your all well. I am sure that some of

us would be willing to help you get parts you may need. Thats one car that should

have a long and happy life.
Jake Raby
It might just be rust free!!

Unless a Camel pissed on it..
914 dror
QUOTE(vesnyder @ Aug 14 2006, 11:51 PM) *

dror - Welcome to the Club! I suspect you need as much distraction as anybody, with what you guys are living through! Good luck with the car!

Thanks I really do, cause what's going on here is really disgusting.
grasshopper
Hey, if you want, you can email your pictures to me at dfuller914@hotmail.com and I can resize them for you.
914 dror
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 15 2006, 01:58 AM) *

Well it's good to hear back from you, hope your all well. I am sure that some of

us would be willing to help you get parts you may need. Thats one car that should

have a long and happy life.

we're all well I'm in the south so no katushas here, thanks for the good will with the parts I would need few parts soon.
This one would be considered a parts car in the stats but here it's a rarity, and I am too fucked up so I'm gonna put the $$$ that you guys could put in a full conversion from 4 to 6 and then some, just in putting her back on the Israeli roads
914 dror
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 15 2006, 02:56 AM) *

It might just be rust free!!

Unless a Camel pissed on it..

hell i wish!
If it only had been in the desert where I live then it could have been rust free, though the chances of a camel pissing accident would have been on the rise chairfall.gif

Nop! This car had been for most of its life near the Mediterranean Sea (Tel Aviv)
never a good thing for vintage cars.
914 dror
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 15 2006, 08:44 PM) *

Hey, if you want, you can email your pictures to me at dfuller914@hotmail.com and I can resize them for you.

thanks its been taken care of
Flat VW
welcome.png

John wavey.gif
914 dror
Now that was some 7 years ago

be ware of the grate pissing camel ! biggrin.gif

orange914
good to hear your 914 story. we've been getting to know a few 914ers thru this club and they are a good group, we all need to pitch in and put this 914 back on the road. agree.gif
i'll post a few pic's you e-mailed me earlier of your car in progress, i dint think you'd mind dror, since your pictures where being difficult.

welcome.png

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914 dror
and thats what happened about 2.5 years ago mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif well you get the pic.
ptravnic
I suppose it does not matter where in the world these cars are, they always end up on jack stands.... happy11.gif
BenT
QUOTE(914 dror @ Aug 14 2006, 06:03 AM) *

Hello every body
1971 is the time

(snip)
catch you later

dror

Welcome to the Club, Dror.

BenT

BenT
QUOTE(914 dror @ Aug 15 2006, 12:44 PM) *

and thats what happened about 2.5 years ago mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif well you get the pic.

Ouch! I just saw the pics. I'm glad you are resurrecting it. Labor is so expensive in the US, especially here in California, and supply of cars in better shape that something like your car would likely be retired. Everything is relative. Good luck on the project. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif w00t.gif

BenT
914 dror
[quote name='orange914' date='Aug 15 2006, 09:43 PM' post='752527']
good to hear your 914 story. we've been getting to know a few 914ers thru this club and they are a good group, we all need to pitch in and put this 914 back on the road. agree.gif
i'll post a few pic's you e-mailed me earlier of your car in progress, i dint think you'd mind dror, since your pictures where being difficult.

p.s. the blue rear section came for good ol' ca.

Cool beerchug.gif you just saved me some work i was planing on puting those pics smile.gif
tomorrow will be a welding day welder.gif thumb3d.gif
914 dror
This is the fucker's van (a drunken fucker dead horse.gif )
my car was parking next to my home and that ass crossed two lanes hit my car got on top of it and pushed it another 11 yards (that is with the hand brake up)

got those pics. And later on got my day in court smash.gif

BenT
QUOTE(914 dror @ Aug 15 2006, 01:27 PM) *

my car was parking next to my home and that ass crossed two lanes hit my car got on top of it and pushed it another 11 yards (that is with the hand brake up)

Wish I stil had PICS of my 68 911T Targa. It was my first Porsche. I spent a year putting it together with a friend's help. I drove it 50 miles (80 Kms.) on 450 mile test drive. I let me friend drive the rest of the way due to a toothache. On the return trip, we heard a loud BOOM!. The next few seconds of conversation occured while we were rolling two times before flipping end over onto a small tree 20 feet down the side of the highway. The car was destroyed. Looked like your car on every surface. We landed a quarter of a mile from the point of impact.

Drunk driver in a virtually undamaged Jeep. He did not have enough insurance. He eventually paid a year's worth of his salary to cover the difference.

Good luck with the court.

BenT Porsches
GTeener
Shalom! And welcome.png

I thought your 914 might look like this? biggrin.gif
GWN7
Hello and Welcome beerchug.gif

Great story

Keep the pictures and restoration story coming
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentDror...Welcome to the club , lots of interesting things going on here !
I did see a U.N. soldier in a blue 911 Targa in Tel Aviv around 1974...but no 914s.
I'd trade rides in my biturbo 9146 for a ride in a Merkava smile.gif
L'hitra'ot
Marty
Lou W
welcome.png Great pictures
914 dror
QUOTE(GTeener @ Aug 15 2006, 11:26 PM) *

Shalom! And welcome.png

now thats a keeper!
thanks
Gwen
914 dror
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 16 2006, 04:32 AM) *

Click to view attachmentDror...Welcome to the club , lots of interesting things going on here !
I did see a U.N. soldier in a blue 911 Targa in Tel Aviv around 1974...but no 914s.
I'd trade rides in my biturbo 9146 for a ride in a Merkava smile.gif
L'hitra'ot
Marty

come over and i`ll fix you up a ride in a Merkava biturbo - some 2000+ Hp (and while your at it you will get a free tour in Lebanon biggrin.gif
914 dror
QUOTE(BenT @ Aug 15 2006, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(914 dror @ Aug 15 2006, 01:27 PM) *

Wish I stil had PICS of my 68 911T Targa. It was my first Porsche. I spent a year putting it together with a friend's help. I drove it 50 miles (80 Kms.) on 450 mile test drive. I let me friend drive the rest of the way due to a toothache. On the return trip, we heard a loud BOOM!. The next few seconds of conversation occured while we were rolling two times before flipping end over onto a small tree 20 feet down the side of the highway. The car was destroyed. Looked like your car on every surface. We landed a quarter of a mile from the point of impact.

Drunk driver in a virtually undamaged Jeep. He did not have enough insurance. He eventually paid a year's worth of his salary to cover the difference.

Good luck with the court.

BenT Porsches

That’s a hard story
Were you and your friend heart or injured?
orange914
popcorn[1].gif

dror, any other pictures of the 914 before the accident?

by the way, how do the israely 914's differ from the american 914's (i noticed what i believe to be a 200 Km speedometer)? chowtime.gif

thanks kenny

and good luck on the welding keep us updated welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Drors tail section before choped next to orange914 before paint
914 dror
[quote name='orange914' date='Aug 16 2006, 07:56 AM' post='753123']
popcorn[1].gif

dror, any other pictures of the 914 before the accident?

by the way, how do the israely 914's differ from the american 914's (i noticed what i believe to be a 200 Km speedometer)? chowtime.gif

thanks kenny

and good luck on the welding keep us updated welder.gif

Hey Kenny
Basically they are the same as the European 914 so it would be Kmh, backlights were with the ember turn signals.
Probably there are more things I’m not an expert on this.
Rusty
Welcome to the Club!

I'm not too far away - I'm in the Sinai! Where are you, if I can ask?

Glad there's another 914 fan in this crazy part of the world!

cheers,
Rusty smoke.gif
BenT

[/quote]
That’s a hard story
[/quote]

Thanks for asking. Testament to the strength Porsche body and that Targa bar, we did not suffer any serious injury. There was no undamaged part visible on the body. After all that, the door still opened. I know seatbelts saved my life that day. The contents of the locked glovebox was scattered all over the road. He hung safely upside down by our belts. Even luckier still, the early 911's did not have the headrests like Dror's 914 (trying not to hijack this thread -- bad choice of words maybe for Dror's region). The seatbacks snapped and broke so we did not suffer any whiplash either.
914 dror
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 16 2006, 08:27 AM) *

Welcome to the Club!

I'm not too far away - I'm in the Sinai! Where are you, if I can ask?

Glad there's another 914 fan in this crazy part of the world!

cheers,
Rusty smoke.gif

cool beer.gif
come and visit (any plans on Israel?)
Sinai is a grate place, have fun.
gonna be a hot week.
watch out from the sheeplove.gif biggrin.gif
914 dror
QUOTE(BenT @ Aug 16 2006, 08:53 AM) *

That's a hard story

Thanks for asking. Testament to the strength Porsche body and that Targa bar, we did not suffer any serious injury. There was no undamaged part visible on the body. After all that, the door still opened. I know seatbelts saved my life that day. The contents of the locked glovebox was scattered all over the road. He hung safely upside down by our belts. Even luckier still, the early 911's did not have the headrests like Dror's 914 (trying not to hijack this thread -- bad choice of words maybe for Dror's region). The seatbacks snapped and broke so we did not suffer any whiplash either.

Don’t worry I do not suspect you to be a hijacked.gif
That is a good story.
That targa bar is a good safety feacher I’m happy to have it on d the 914.
IanStott
A big welcome to you! I am pleased to see you are restoring your teener, I don't often get to see pictures of one in as bad of shape as mine! I have been spending much enjoyable time working on it and look forward to the day when I drive out of my driveway! Sorry about what is happening in your beautiful country, stay alert and safe! By the way how much is 1 litre of gas in Israel now?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
DEC
welcome.png
914 dror
QUOTE(IanStott @ Aug 16 2006, 01:55 PM) *

A big welcome to you! I am pleased to see you are restoring your teener, I don't often get to see pictures of one in as bad of shape as mine! I have been spending much enjoyable time working on it and look forward to the day when I drive out of my driveway! Sorry about what is happening in your beautiful country, stay alert and safe! By the way how much is 1 litre of gas in Israel now?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Thanks for all
You can send a photo of yours we can compare bad news drunk.gif
One liter of gas here in Israel is about $1.3
I heard that in the U.K. it's close to 1 pound icon8.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(914 dror @ Aug 15 2006, 08:25 PM) *

Shalom! And welcome.png

now thats a keeper!
thanks
Gwen

914 dror
Kenny
I have scanned those photos form 1999
Don't know were the rest of them.
And one of me with my first bug
And of my girl doing some air cooled of road action in the Judea desert
GTeener
QUOTE(914 dror @ Aug 15 2006, 08:25 PM) *

Shalom! And welcome.png

now thats a keeper!
thanks
Gwen

There's always the 914 Panzer model too cool.gif
So.Cal.914
Great pic's. It hard for me to think of you as that far away, you look like the

kid down the block. I like the off road bug looks like a serious thumper, wouldn't

they be surprised if you fired a few hundred of those over your northern border,

it would scare the hell out of them. Can you imagine the mess when that bug

splatters on there windshield.
GWN7
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 16 2006, 04:12 PM) *

kid down the block. I like the off road bug looks like a serious thumper, wouldn't

they be surprised if you fired a few hundred of those over your northern border,

it would scare the hell out of them.

Watching a show about aircraft carriers......they said the steam catipult would fire a VW bettle about 12 miles biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentMe on my 1949 massey ferguson tractor in the Gallilee, farming was my game in the 70's . I honed my shifting skills on the 3 speed crashbox trans...gave me an edge with the early 914 transmission smile.gif
My best Fear Factor experience was hitch hiking down to Sharm El Sheik. Since I was not very adept at reading signs , a soldier told me that I was taking pics about 50 feet from a Live Fire range ar15.gif
So you live in Eilat ??
Marty
BenT
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 16 2006, 08:20 PM) *

Click to view attachmentMe on my 1949 massey ferguson tractor in the Gallilee, farming was my game in the 70's .
Marty

Wow, that looks EXACTLY like the Marty who I know to drive a V8 VW Doublecab -- except w/o the beard. idea.gif

BenT
vanagoncafe.com
914 dror
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 17 2006, 01:12 AM) *

it would scare the hell out of them. Can you imagine the mess when that bug

splatters on there windshield.

ho i lost you ther body
i was with yo till you got to that fireing vw bugs thingamajig confused24.gif
914 dror
Now take a look at this welder.gif welding time !
under 1/4" of bondo and some 4 leyers of paint was the actual car smile.gif
some places will be welded and some refabricated
Any idea abuot those places near the front windshild where some one had braze weld the gap?

tha last pic is of Valeri the men and the welder smoke.gif
Spoke
Good luck on your project. There's enough stuff to do on a 914 besides fixing collision damage like yours and mine. It took me 6 months to put this one back together using the original metal. The only thing I purchased was a new taillight assembly and $10 ebay bumper. Your's looks worse off than mine was.

BTW, sometimes it pays to be lazy. When I repainted the trunk interior and rear end in late 2005, I never got around to putting the "914" badge back on before the Jan 06 accident. Since the badge was in a drawer on that fateful day, I was able to remount it now.

Spoke

BEFORE:

Click to view attachment

AFTER:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.