Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: question for the engine and mettalurgical guru
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
freezing14
I finally got my Cof a and the engine is matching the car ( 1970 914-6),, but here where it gets tough,, there was some water damage to the case and i do not want to replace as it its matching,, i have found a machine shop who is willing to to weld the hole, under the oil pump, the flat section under the flange is fine, but i need to know what kind if allow he should use, what kind of rods to TIG , when I do the reaseach i get a better price,,

other question,, NOS ring is that any good or should i go to a " new alloy"
freezing14
edit and bump?? anyone,??
sixnotfour
magnesium , specific alloy I dont know call CE or Ollies maybe they will tell you. I know they weld em or have someone weld em.
use goetze rings oem. call EBS for engine parts.
Allan
I thought the 2 liter cases were aluminum?
lapuwali
Very early 2.0 cases were sand-cast aluminum. By '68, they'd switched to die-cast magnesium. The last 2.0 cases and the first 2.2 cases are basically the same.

Welding castings is always tricky. Welding magnesium is also tricky. Welding magnesium castings would be extremely tricky. I understand your desire to keep this case, but you'd likely be far better off storing that case and obtaining another to build up a new engine if you intend to actually drive the car much.

What caused this hole you're trying to patch up?
sixnotfour
says -6 related ,also (1970 914-6)
Eric_Shea

I had a 2.4 mag case that went in the dumpster. It seems that water can cause it. It looks like water sat in the case and simply ate away at the mag. This was around the oil scavenge PU tube and screen.
lapuwali
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 14 2006, 03:38 PM) *

I had a 2.4 mag case that went in the dumpster. It seems that water can cause it. It looks like water sat in the case and simply ate away at the mag. This was around the oil scavenge PU tube and screen.

My...

I'd worry about the structural health of that entire case, then. I double my recommendation to store that case (dry!) for posterity, and just get another case.

Combustion creates acids in the oil (one reason you change it regularly). I wonder if water gets in there, the acids (which are often water soluable) don't collect in the water, making highly corrosive water. Magnesium does corrode very easily.
Heeltoe914
To weld that you must go to someone that dose aircraft quality welds. I have had to parts welded on and it looks like the metals went together but not at all. A loss of time and effort. Mag, is for the well trained. The two guys I used where not good.
Eric_Shea
I'd worry about the structural health of that entire case, then. I double my recommendation to store that case (dry!) for posterity, and just get another case.

If there's through rot you can imagine what some of the other areas look like. The inside of my case was pocked badly.

Similar things happen when you use engine cleaner on a mag tranny.
freezing14
Hi there guys,, I kinda really want to use that case,, i know the guy and he has done magnesium motorcycle parts for me before and i have seen some of his work on a 60's mecedes SL and did a very good job,, the hole is under the oil pump housing, the rest of the case is fine, no corrosion at all but that little spot, so integrity sound fine to me ,

the machinist told me that there are different kind of magnesium rod and that he will buy the special one just for that so anyone who had a good weld job done can check with their welder
ChrisFoley
I think pure Mg filler wire, not an alloy, is the best choice.
That's all I've ever used on magnesium auto parts.
Brett W
I don't know about magnesium engine cases, but on an aluminum case you will need to re-heat treat and then re-machine every surface on the case. Aluminum will move around when you weld it.

I don't know if Mag is the same way or not.
freezing14
here is the picture of the hole
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.