Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a good 901
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
Any body know of a good, reasonably priced 901 (tail or side) out there?
Thanks,
Konrad 72/4
Dr Evil
Whatcha got? Whatcha need it for? there may be work arounds depending on what you need.
krazykonrad
Thanks for the reply! I've got a 72 tail shifter 901. It needs a new spring for 1st gear as well as new main and rear seals. also, I think that the drive shaft bearing is worn as well and the drveshaf is beatng up on the main seal.
Basically 2nd through 5th work fine as does reverse. It also leaks somewhat.
I've been told by the local Porsche shop that it would be cheaper to get a used tranny than to fix all the stuff on mine.
Thanks for your opinion! You know WAY more about trannies than I do! beerchug.gif
Konrad 72/4

Dr Evil
The only problem with a used tranny is that its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get. Usually 1st is gone and so is the drive shaft bearing ($800 in parts). It is odd to have one of your springs go bad, at least I have not seen one yet.

If all you have a need for is the spring (I have one for you, no charge and easy to replace), the drive shaft roller bearing ($275 if I am not mistaken) and seals ($30-40) then you would be better fixing what you have.

Click the Tranny service link in my signature and look at how to remove your gear stack. See if you think you can manage it. If soo, you can take pics, post them here and we can diagnose your tranny to let you know what you need. Also, we can give you pointers on what else to check. I have som egod used parts as well that can save you some money.
Joe Ricard
1st gear spring ????? WTF is that? are you talking about the detent springs for the balls that prevent more than one gear stack to be engaged?
I don't remember any other springs in my 901.
Got springs in the shifter base.
Russ
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 15 2006, 12:13 PM) *

1st gear spring ????? WTF is that? are you talking about the detent springs for the balls that prevent more than one gear stack to be engaged?
I don't remember any other springs in my 901.
Got springs in the shifter base.

Hey, I have a 901 tail shift out of my 1970. It was working fine when I pulled it out. I removed it because of the sloppy shifting with the linkage and replaced it with a side shift.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.