Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dave's Parade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave_Darling
I got back home yesterday at quarter to eleven in the evening. I left home at 7 PM on Thursday, August 3rd.

The trip up was relatively easygoing. I drove to Roseville (near Sacramento) to where My Attorney was staying on her business trip. We left late (10 AM) on Friday morning in an attempt to miss Sacramento rush-hour traffic. My car did not like the very hot weather in the Central Valley; at speeds over 65 MPH (remember the limit for most of I5 is 70!) the oil temps started to go up. We stopped a few times to let it cool down--usually coinciding with a gas stop, a potty break, lunch, or even antiques shopping! (Yes, my sweetie is an antiques junkie!) Her 911 didn't like running 65 MPH, though, as its oil temps went up when we slowed down.

About half the places where we stopped, the 914 drew comments. A lot of people used to own one, or had a buddy that owned one--and evidently the car made quite an impression (though that's not much of a surprise to us). The 911 drew far fewer comments. In Dunsmuir CA, a note was left on my windshield by someone who still has an Oly Blau (same color!) 73, and was wondering if there were any 914-knowledgeable mechanics nearby.

We spent the night in Grants Pass and continued in the morning.

By the time we got to Portland, at about 3 PM, I was brain-fried. My car is fun, but it really beats you up over the course of a long drive. It is loud and low and hard-sprung, and you have to pay attention to all the other traffic and the gauges (remember it was running hot!) and everything all at once. And, of course, not having A/C while driving in the Central Valley will take something out of you as well.

Spent Sunday running around, had brunch with Mom & a couple of her friends (who were also there for Parade). Messed with the laptop, which decided it didn't want to work for more than ~10 minutes at a stretch. (OY!) Went to the Hawthorne for dinner, it was a fun experience wandering there as usual.

Monday was the concours. Tons of neat cars, but few 914s! Saw Jeff B's old 'Bee; talked to the current owner. Took lots of pics, look for them on the Pelican site! Went to a Rally workers meeting; sold my Concours Banquet ticket (was easier to buy the whole package and sell the one ticket we didn't want) and came back "home" to the Residence Inn, which was only one exit south of the HQ hotel--a Red Lion. I think we ate in that evening, but not before stopping into a store and picking up a new (cheap!) laptop. I've learned my lesson; no more expensive laptops for me!!

Tuesday was the Rally. My checkpoint was the last one, but we still had to show up at the Rally start point (70 minutes away from the HQ hotel!) at 8 AM. Just to sit around for 3 hours before setting up our CP out in The Dalles. (And why couldn't we have slept in??) I found that working the timer was much less fun than being a "runner" and handing out the timing slips to the cars. I was busy pressing the button and holding down the EZ-Up, which the wind wanted to deposit in the Hood River. I got done and headed to the finish to look at the museum that PCA had rented for the event. Got back home just in time for the Wine Tasting ("Yes, sweetie, we can go to that!") and got hammered there. Got dinner there too before I was sober enough to drive us back to the Residence Inn.

Wednesday was our autoX session. The schedule was telling us to get there at 10:30 AM, so we did. Our session didn't start until almost noon, and we were in the second half of the session anyway! At least it gave us time to look at the course from the infield and the bleachers. The course was interesting, with an autoX start and end, and a section of the Big Track in the middle. I was very intimdated by that, though My Attorney was much happier there than among the cones. She consented to drive my 914 (because PCA rules tell us a couple cannot drive two separate cars!) and did pretty well, taking the P02L class (Ladies Production 914 2.0 class) by almost a second. That's two times in a row my car has won the P02L class!! smile.gif

I managed to do reasonably that day, earning 2nd place in P02M by about three tenths over third place (the Bumblebee!). The first place, Mark Brown (AKA "playswithcars" on the Bird board, maybe here too?), was "only" four full seconds ahead of us. Ulp!!! During the later part of the day, I dropped my camera. This became important later...

We went out for dinner with Mom afterwards, skipping out on the drag race thing. There were tons of cars waiting to get in when we left, though!

Thursday, I worked the autoX course. I was the "starter", though what I really did was radio in the numbers of the cars that were on the line. One of the Provasi daughters had the green flag and actually told the cars when to start. The camera was evidently stuck on "full exposure", because it always triggered the flash no matter what and all of the outdoor pictures came out massively overexposed. I will try to see if I can save any using Photoshop later.

My sweetie and I made it to OMSI (the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) just in time for dinner, and went to the autoX awards presentation. Which was massively delayed, so they only gave out the top men's and top ladies' award in each "category" (Stock, Production, Improved, Modified) and TToD and TToDL. Tom and Sandy Provasi won the latter two, to nobody's real surprise.

Friday was the DE for My Attorney, and the Tech Quiz for me. At the beginning of the quiz, they gave away a set of tires (calling about eight names of people who had registered but were not present before finally giving them ou!). I repeated my performance from the Ft. Worth Parade, finishing 1st in the 914 class and 2nd overall. This time I only lost by one tiebreaker, with 60 correct answers (out of 100) and 5 correct tie-breakers (out of 20). The winner had 60 and 6. It was a real bear of a test, as you can see from the scores, with lots of nitpicky trivia. I also went to the Worker Appreciation Lunch, though I didn't win any door prizes there either. I did, however, stop off at another store and buy a cheap-ish digital camera to replace my broken one. The old one was four years old, so it was probably time anyway. I took it over to the DE to take pics of my sweetie driving the track.

The Victory Banquet was that night, and they gave me my Quiz award there. I was going to try something extra special during that part of the evening, but I didn't get it arranged ahead of time... So I dragged Lisa off to the side of the room and proposed, while they continued with the ceremonies. Yup, My Attorney and I are now engaged. With a ring and everything! I'd been planing to do this in different ways for a while, now, but every time the plans have gotten fouled up. I figured if I kept waiting for the "right moment" it would never come, so I just dragged her off and did it.

Saturday was another DE day for Lisa, and the Post-Parade AutoX for me. We both had a good time--though I didn't win my class this time either. On Saturday, the other Bee beat me. smile.gif We then met my mom & stepdad for dinner in the Hawthorne, and finished our Portland experience with a run to Powell's.

Yesterday we drove back. We left Portland at 6:30 AM, and I got home at 10:45 PM. We hit traffic in a few spots, plus we had car-cooling breaks periodically. We met a number of other Parade-goers on the way home during those stops, which was fun. There was construction near Lake Shasta, which caused traffic to really crawl, in 100+ temps. My oil temps skyrocketed, so we pulled over to let the cars cool. A couple of people stopped, partly for the same reason, and some partly to see if they could help. Once we decided to get going, we found that Lisa's 911 had been spending too much time with 914s!! The starter wouldn't work; the "infamous 914 hot-start problem" was affecting her SC. We couldn't get at the starter (on the uphill sloping gravel shoulder), and she didn't want to risk a roll-start against traffic on the shoulder. So we called AAA. About a half-hour into the wait for the tow, the starter had cooled off enough to work--so we called AAA back and said "nevermind!" We made it to Willows for dinner, then at I-505 I split off to head home and she headed back to Roseville for work again. I got home, as I said, at 10:45 last night. And I'm still beat.

Between the cost of Parade, the DE cost, the hotel rooms, the new computer, and the new camera, this past week was a very very expensive one. Add in the ring, and all that goes with it, and...

We did have a wonderful time, though. It was good to see people again, and to put faces with a few screen names. But my bank account is happy Parade is only once per year.

Oh, the official results can be downloaded here:
Rally: http://pca.org//parade/2006/results/RallyResults.pdf
Gimmick Rally: http://pca.org//parade/2006/results/GimmickResults.pdf
AutoX: http://pca.org//parade/2006/results/AutoCrossResults.pdf
Tech Quiz Results: http://pca.org//parade/2006/results/TechQuizResults.pdf
Tech Quiz Overall: http://pca.org//parade/2006/results/TechQuizOverall.pdf

The Parade staff is promising to have PDFs of the Quiz up shortly. Hopefully that means very soon.

--DD
JeffBowlsby
Congrats Dave + Lisa Sounds like a P-car wedding cruise is in your future...

thumb3d.gif
carreraguy
Congrats Dave! Wish my other half was as interested in Porsches as your bride-to-be is! biggrin.gif
jimtab
Congratulations to you both.
Sparky
Hmm lets follow the progression here:

"..to where My Attorney was staying"

Then we move on to:

"..my sweetie is an antiques junkie"

Then back to:

"...though My Attorney was much happier"

All the way to:

"So I dragged Lisa off to the side of the room and proposed"

clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

Congratulations!

All my best,
Mike D.
lapuwali
I see. Stick the important news way in the middle where you think maybe we won't notice it?

Congrats to both of you.
markb
clap56.gif Congrats to you both! driving.gif driving-girl.gif
Joe Bob
Sucker.....
dgw
Congrats Dave!
beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
Thats cool Dave, sounds like your weekend was almost perfect.
Rusty
Yup, My Attorney and I are now engaged. With a ring and everything! I'd been planing to do this in different ways for a while, now, but every time the plans have gotten fouled up. I figured if I kept waiting for the "right moment" it would never come, so I just dragged her off and did it.

Congrats, dude! That's awesome!

smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
Congratulations Dave!

But you had to know this was coming...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
sjhowitson
That's GREAT news Dave !!!!! I hope you have as great a life together as I am. Porsche wedding should be great. The union of a tail dragger and a 914. Who gets the garage?.. clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

ALL THE BEST !!
mightyohm
Congrats Dave!

clap56.gif
Rough_Rider
Congrats there boyee.

welcome.png
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(sjhowitson @ Aug 15 2006, 08:31 AM) *
The union of a tail dragger and a 914. Who gets the garage?

Yes, we are a "mixed couple"... wink.gif Since there's only a one-car garage, who do you think gets it? I had to beg and plead for the time to do the clutch replacement a couple months ago.

Heh, actually the Mercedes usually gets to sleep in the garage.

Oh, and I'll try to add a pic when I get home tonight.

--DD
BenT
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 15 2006, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(sjhowitson @ Aug 15 2006, 08:31 AM) *
The union of a tail dragger and a 914. Who gets the garage?

Yes, we are a "mixed couple"... wink.gif Since there's only a one-car garage, who do you think gets it? I had to beg and plead for the time to do the clutch replacement a couple months ago.

Heh, actually the Mercedes usually gets to sleep in the garage.

Oh, and I'll try to add a pic when I get home tonight.

--DD

Dave,

First off, congrats. I was going to sell my 73 914 as I had just acquired a 70 914-6. My bride to be took a 3 minute ride and agreed to keep both. She also agreed to let me put a park/lift in the garage so both teeners can sleep inside. She's a keeper.

BenT
ps: we're a 6-car garage (in 3 cities) couple with a 20+ car fleet mueba.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BenT @ Aug 15 2006, 02:31 PM) *
ps: we're a 6-car garage (in 3 cities) couple with a 20+ car fleet

Color both Lisa and I very envious of you on both counts... She says she thinks 8 or 10 cars would be enough for us (for now at least), but I'm pretty sure that'll work out the way the antiques thing does. "OK, now we only need a little bit more..." wink.gif

--DD
cooltimes
Dave,
That's great news. Congratulations to you and your sweetie attorney.
Has to be a great lady if she lets you call her sweetie in public.
Glad the events went smooth for you too.
Congratulations too for winning the 914 tech.
Salute: Beep beep

beerchug.gif
Mike and Red
porschecb
Hey Dave: I was coming back from a week long houseboat trip on Shasta and saw a light blue 914 & red 911 (with flares) parked on the side of the road where the traffic was a BITCH. Was that you guys? You must have had to wait for hours for that to clear up. Would have done something to help but a full van of people was hard enough to deal with. Glad it all worked out. Oh and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GWN7
congrats Dave & Lisa smile.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(porschecb @ Aug 15 2006, 06:38 PM) *

Hey Dave: I was coming back from a week long houseboat trip on Shasta and saw a light blue 914 & red 911 (with flares) parked on the side of the road where the traffic was a BITCH. Was that you guys?

They weren't flares; that's just regular SC fenders on that car (which is a regular SC) with an aftermarket turbo tail. smile.gif

Yes, that was indeed us. That was either when we were waiting for my oil temps to cool off, or waiting for her starter to decide to work again. We didn't wait for traffic to clear; it was still ugly when we finally got moving again. But we made it through there just fine, if slowly.

More pics to follow, since some of y'all had to use the TTIWWP icon...

--DD
GWN7
Does the Bird board have a wedding registry? biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
One Ring to Rule Them All....
Click to view attachment

Lisa with Sally Carrera...
Click to view attachment

On the way home--911 and Mount Shasta!
Click to view attachment

A mountain, and a whale tail...
Click to view attachment

And an interesting shadow.
Click to view attachment

--DD
ClayPerrine
First things first.....

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!! alfred.gif

Congrats to you and the future Mrs. Darling (unless you are changing YOUR last name to her's).

I hope the two of you have as long and happy of a Marriage as Betty and I have had so far (18 years) ...

Second things second.... Congrats on the Tech Quiz. smilie_pokal.gif

Third Things Thirdly.... Are you and your "lawyer" coming to the MUSR this year? Your friends here want to meet her.

And we need close up pictures of the top of Lisa's 911. Betty wants to figure out how to attach a wedding veil to it. biggrin.gif

poke.gif

Click to view attachment

BenT
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 15 2006, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(BenT @ Aug 15 2006, 02:31 PM) *
ps: we're a 6-car garage (in 3 cities) couple with a 20+ car fleet

Color both Lisa and I very envious of you on both counts... She says she thinks 8 or 10 cars would be enough for us (for now at least), but I'm pretty sure that'll work out the way the antiques thing does. "OK, now we only need a little bit more..." wink.gif

--DD

Dave,

We're just 45 minutes north of you in SSF. My pals like to introduce their significant other(s) to me whenever they get into TMC (too many cars) arguments. I make almost anybody look good. happy11.gif

I just take my girl to see my buddy up in Woodland who built a 50,000 sqft warehouse to stash his toys. Now she thinks my hobby isn't too bad. mueba.gif

BenT

ps: any relation to a certain Darlene Darling in San Bruno? or Richard (yes, Dick) Darling in Corte Madera?
vesnyder
Dave - Congrats! Looks like the "relationship" is off to the right start! Sounds like a good (and busy) trip. A marriage made in "Porsche Heaven". Your "sweetie" must be a good woman to put up with that - talk to me in ten years?

BTW - thanks for all your help recently. Could not have gotten the 914 to where it is without you!
MJHanna
Thank God!!!! Maybe now you will not have to call your fiancé “my attorney” If we all used your term of what our sufficient other does for a living it really sounds degrading to that person. It sounds like it’s more important that she is an attorney rather than the person you love and care for. It sounds so tacky. It’s like me saying my “Senior Vice President-Investments” and I just went out to the track….Rather than my sweetheart and I etc…. poke.gif
Dave_Darling
In order--

Clay: flipa.gif for the cartoon. Again!

Oh, and Lisa and I most likely will not be making the MUSR.

BenT: I didn't realize you were so close! However, if I brought Lisa over for a visit she would start making plans to move to SSF (if we could find similar places there to yours), and the commute to Moffett Field would be a bitch!

No relation to any other local Darlings that I know of. No immediate relation, at least.

MJHanna: I call her "my attorney" because it's funny. I'm not trying to define her by her profession; rather I'm intentionally mis-using the phrase (generally it only means a lawyer who is working for the speaker) because of its amusement value. At least, I did that initially--and now it's become something of a habit, plus the people on this BBS know her as "Dave's Attorney". Perhaps I'm just easily amused, but there you go.

--DD
Bleyseng
Congrats Dave and Lisa!!!!

Sounds like you two had tons of fun, so when is the wedding??

(We still haven't had ours, geez)
DNHunt
Congrats you 2. It was nice to see you guys last Wednesday out on the course.

By the way, tell Lisa to shift up. Your car has the loudest backfire I've ever heard when ii's on the rev limiter. It made me want to duck for cover.

Dave
BenT
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 16 2006, 07:57 AM) *

BenT: I didn't realize you were so close! However, if I brought Lisa over for a visit she would start making plans to move to SSF (if we could find similar places there to yours), and the commute to Moffett Field would be a bitch!

Dave,

We are actually looking to get out of SSF. We were looking at LAH in your end of the Pen. Currently thrashing one house where most of my cars reside. Neighbors there are ready to kill me. We only have a 2-car where we actually live 10 blocks away. Have a 3rd home near where you proposed. Have house with a 3-car near Sacto. New 5bd/3ba house w/nothing in it except my 1970 914-6. GF doesn't like it because the materbed closet won't fit a car. blink.gif Hey, if you buy this house, I'll throw in the /6! Need a second home to hide your extra cars? I can use the money to move to your neighborhood. idea.gif

BenT
Jenny
Dave, it's about time!!! Congrats to you and Lisa!!!

And I agree, it was sneaky to put it right smack dab in the middle of your Parade summation.

Jen
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BenT @ Aug 16 2006, 09:32 AM) *

We are actually looking to get out of SSF. We were looking at LAH in your end of the Pen.

La Honda is pretty cool. The 84 commute can get ugly, though, particularly in the winter. The road sometimes just plain disappears! ("Hey, isn't that it down at the bottom of that ravine?") Great 914 roads, though. I could get into serious trouble if I lived up there. I had some friends who used to live up above Applejack's.

We can't afford anything else right now. (Heh, probably ever with the way prices run around here!) Lisa does sometimes mention the notion of moving to Roseville, near Sac'to, though. My commute would be well beyond ugly at that point, but we could have a big place (which we'd only use half of) with an ~8-car garage (which we'd use all of).

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Aug 16 2006, 09:21 AM) *

By the way, tell Lisa to shift up. Your car has the loudest backfire I've ever heard when ii's on the rev limiter. It made me want to duck for cover.

The thing runs really fat, and has the spark cut-off rev limiter. When you ride the limiter, the exhaust tends to load up with fuel, which then gets lit off by the new exhaust charge. Sounds like someone's doing a drive-by...

I'm starting to call her "Machine-Gun Lisa" now... I heard her hit the limit, walked over to the wall and looked up-track, said "Shift, sweetie--shift!", and she was still riding the limiter for another second or so after that! The backfires were much more regular than I'm used to, though. Anyway, it was good that she'd gotten to the top of 2nd earlier (means she was going faster!) but not so good that she was riding the limiter for 3 to 5 full seconds. She is quite intimidated by the 914's shifting, sad to say. She didn't want to have to downshift--ever--so she just rode the limiter so she could take the box chicane ("Chicago box"?) and slalom in 2nd.

--DD
BenT
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 16 2006, 09:53 AM) *

La Honda is pretty cool. The 84 commute can get ugly, though, particularly in the winter. The road sometimes just plain disappears! ("Hey, isn't that it down at the bottom of that ravine?") Great 914 roads, though. I could get into serious trouble if I lived up there. I had some friends who used to live up above Applejack's.

We can't afford anything else right now. (Heh, probably ever with the way prices run around here!) Lisa does sometimes mention the notion of moving to Roseville, near Sac'to, though. My commute would be well beyond ugly at that point, but we could have a big place (which we'd only use half of) with an ~8-car garage (which we'd use all of).

La Honda is too hick for my GF. She actually want's PA near Stanford. Too close to Nordstrom's for my taste. mad.gif

Picture this, Dave... nice small weekday condo in MtVw... Nice big house in Rancho Cordova where you can keep a bunch of Porsche's and still have enough room to host your 914 buddies at the pool. Hey, there's even a /6 light resto project waiting for you it the separate single-car garage with a lift for a 2nd teener. It doesn't get in the way of your using the 2-car side-by-side. Put a pair of lifts in there and you got 2 more teeners up top. Did I mention your teeener buddies can park three of them on the driveway side-by-side? All that for $200K less than a comparable teardown where you live now. Maybe you start organizing a club event at the Sacto Speedway nearby or at the old Mather Airbase. Hey I heard law practice is great in the Capitol.
idea.gif

BenT
GTeener
smilie_pokal.gif Yeay Dave & Lisa! beer.gif Congrats! beerchug.gif
mightyohm
Whatever you southbay people do, don't move up here and drive up the prices. happy11.gif

ge9146
Congratulations Dave and Lisa! clap56.gif

and good job Dave on the tech quiz too! smiley_notworthy.gif

I was a distant second in the tech quiz in the 914 class. Evidently I guessed well on lots of the tech quiz questions.

We met briefly a few times and I witnessed your exploding camera trick at the autocross.
Looiking forward to next years parade in San Diego.

Congratulations again!

Ed Scott
BenT
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Aug 16 2006, 01:11 PM) *

Whatever you southbay people do, don't move up here and drive up the prices. happy11.gif

Hmmm... At least we still spell Carr here with a C. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.