Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission tune up time!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greg Bell
Guys,

I want to tune-up my trans. I replaced the fluid this weekend and that seems to have helped a good bit. Now, I want to clean it up a little more. I want to replace the bushings.

1. What parts do I need? I understand I need rear ball cap bushing and some lithium grease; (2) the two tapered screws, front and rear; (3) rear shift rod bushing??; (4) firewall bushing

How about engine and transmission mounts? How hard are they to replace? What parts do I need?

Guys, I want to order these parts so I can at least do the bushings this weekend. What parts should I order, and where do you reccomend?

ws91420
Also get the shift rod bushings at the coupler IMHO. Nothing like getting ready to get on the interstate and only have 2nd and third
Cap'n Krusty
Dave at GPR has what you need, (800) 321-5432, including the trick bronze shift rod bushing. IME, the firewall bushing probably won't need replacement, relieving you of the hassle of resetting the shift rod position at the base of the shifter. The Cap'n
grasshopper
You need this: Bushing kit The trans mounts are a ten minute change. Engine mounts...not so easy.
Dr Evil
Check your shift coupler bushings as well. Pelican has a list and a kit with all of the parts, of you can call GPR and talk to Dave (great prices and service).

Changing the mounts is not hard. Use the 911 sporto mounts, though. They are cheaper and stronger.
So.Cal.914
I can not remember what year your 914 is. The mounts are not bad at all to

replace but do you need to. unless your shift pivot points have air tight dust

covers, use a dry lube or none at all. Wet lube will attract dust and that will wear

out parts real fast.
Greg Bell
driving.gif

Thanks guys! This place is an amazing resource. I decided to take the 914 for a late night blast. What a great car. A lot of my problems with the shifter have gone away from the fluid change, and just learning some of the 901's idiosyncrasies.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Greg Bell @ Aug 14 2006, 08:53 PM) *

driving.gif

Thanks guys! This place is an amazing resource. I decided to take the 914 for a late night blast. What a great car. A lot of my problems with the shifter have gone away from the fluid change, and just learning some of the 901's idiosyncrasies.

agree.gif The more you drive it, the less you think about shifting. cool.gif
Tobra
Replace all your shift bushings at once, use new cone screws(or at least have them) and definitely use BLUE loctite on the cone screws. There is a nice article on how to at Pelican, also if you search around here, you will discover that you will want to use a vise to press the shift coupler bushings out(unless they are in pieces) and back in
Greg Bell
I just ordered the new bushings. they should be here Friday! aktion035.gif
grasshopper
Awsome! You should come to the SEC! chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.