Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I recently picked up some calipers for my brake upgrade, I decided to go with the Boxster S setup with adapters in the front and Carrera rotors and I plan to try and modify the rear to accept the same(yeah I know about the heat issues).

The question I have is how does one tell if the Calipers are S or normal?

The part number stamps coincide with the normals on the fronts and the S on the rears

I was assured by the person I got them from that he test fitted the S pads and they fit and he was positive that they are S calipers I am tending to believe him because he is a trusted member of a west coast Pcar group.

But the part number thing is trowin me off.

Does someone have a pair of normals that they could measure?? how bout a set of 996 or S calipers??

Any other clues

Thanks
vortrex
well...they're red. unless someone painted them, they are boxster S. unless of course you got yourself a set of big reds.
r_towle
Yup,
Look red to me too.

R
vortrex
I guess what I meant is the only calipers that are red in color from porsche are boxster S and big red (993-996TT, 993-996C4S). so unless someone took standard black boxster calipers and power coated them red they are boxster S. you would know the size diff if they were big reds.

EDIT: the 964 turbo's also are red, but I doubt that you have those.
r_towle
What measurements do you need...

If I can take them on the car I have two in the garage...
Cant take off the brakes though....they are in storage....But I could measure from outside if that would help...

rich
echocanyons
Rich,

I would like the length (top to bottom) measurement and (outer to inner) measurements.

They are painted Red I am not sure if this was done after the fact or not.

I was under the assumption that the 986S calipers were markedly bigger than the 986 normals.

My fronts are 9 1/4" length by 5 1/2" width

Thanks
Kelly
Scott
Hate to put a plug in but can't resist. I happen to have a pair of "Big Red" rear calipers, NIB (new in box). Bought them back when I wanted to go that route and before I changed my mind. I'll make some one a great deal on them $300 for the pair. I also happen to have the larger Mercedes 21mm master with the longer push rod and reservoir tube (also NIB) for Low $$$ too. Let me know if anyone is interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.