Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bodyshops in Chicagoland / Indiana
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Its time, I really don't want to drive my 914 another season with out doing the body work to it. It is a very soild car and looks good from 20 ft, but it does have a few cosmetic issues. Lots of little dents and dings, minor repair of front fender needed (tire fell off), past PO painted it VW yellow / orange over the L20E, and rust in the weather seal channel by headlights. Also need to replace windshield because of pitting and chip in the window. I will leave the chrome off windsheild and replace it with the black weather stripping. Also need to replace the side window chrome parts as these are very dull and oxidized. I will install a new targa top to windshield frame seal and also seals at the bottom of side windows.

I might need a new front trunk lid as mine looks like some PO tried to close it with to much stuff in the trunk and bent it, not sure it that could be fixed or not. I do have the vynil on the sides of the targa bar, and I like that look, but I think if it can be painted black with a texture that is close to the vynil I would rather do that.

I have no plans to strip the car down to a roller to get this work done. I would remove the bumpers, targa chrome, mirrors, outside door handle's, turn signal buckets and tail lights. After that it would be up to the body shop. I not looking for a $10K paint job, but then again I don't want a Macco type job either.

I have contacted Shelby via PM to get her thoughts and another member that had his car done closer to me, but I shopping for suggestions on shops. So who did you use? are you happy? My time frame would be anytime after the FFC06 (Mid Oct06) and would love to have it back BEFORE end of April 2007. I know what I have in mind for a budget, and depnding on what I get for quotes I might have remove a few things or maybe add more if it works out in my budget.

So let's here what you got.

My 914 wub.gif
ChicagoPete
Garold, After reading your post I started searching the Yellow Pages for a guy I used about 15 years ago. He did quite a bit of work on my first 914...replaced a longitudinal and replaced a full sale panel.

After seeing his work a friend had him do a complete respray on his Austin Healy Bugeye...and then the same shop did a respray on a friend's Healy 100. Did very nice work.

That last time I used him he had moved to a new shop and was mainly doing work for the rental car companies out at the airport...(solid and steady income) but, the last job he did do for me was a great paint job on the body panels for my Formula Vee, beautiful work, deep blue with gold stripes and a painted roundel.

Now mind you, this was proably 15 years ago. He never said no to interesting work that I sent him, was great and was really cheap.

I hate to tell you where I got this guy! Jay from PartWerks recommended him! That might be a suggestion, try calling Jay and ask him if he remembers a body guy named "Win". And ask him if he remembers the name of his shop?

In the meantime, I will keep looking in the Yellow Pages online and maybe look at a map and try to figure out the town.

Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.