Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 /4 fuel pump relocation?? Yea/nea??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Even with the engine out of the car, the stock '74 fuel location and filter seem to be in a PITA location to service or replace, the only positive I see is that the fuel line pressure from the tank to the pump in the back is not under great pressure which is a good thing for lines that run thru the interior of the car.

I have a brand new in the box '75/'76 pump that I can install in the car, I planned on replacing all of the lines (plastic, rubber, you name it) with brand new material.

Is the heat soak really a problem with the '74 and earlier cars??
SirAndy
i never had any problems with it.
normally i would ask if you had problems with it in the past but you haven't driven that car yet. laugh.gif

leave it unless you have problems. changing the fuel filter is not a once every week thing and access to it is actully pretty easy if you don't mind getting on your knees.

Andy
914werke
I think a bigger problem is the deterioratiing effects that the location has on the lines, wires and the pump itself, IE: the factory recall for Lines at that location.
I can speak from experiance that when the Hi-preasure lines are not replaces regularly (at least once in 30 YRS) that the fire hazard is HUGE!
And danm does MAG BURN boid.gif
JeffBowlsby
There are more important things Mikester...I wouldnt bother with it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 21 2003, 04:56 PM)
There are more important things Mikester...I wouldnt bother with it.

said Mr. Bowlsby and watched Mr. Mueller's car go up in flames ...

laugh.gif
fiid
I asked Rich at HPH about this one: if I remember rightly he said something to the effect of:

Replace all the rubber FI lines, but don't worry about the plastic lines unless you are experiencing cracking from overtightening the clips. (Don't overtighten the clips). He reckons the plastic lines will last for ages if looked after.

His take on heat soak was that he had only experienced it once and it was when he was driving through the arizona desert mid summer (or something similar). Not a problem in the Bay Area, IMHO.

Fiid.
Mueller
Not a problem in the Bay Area, IMHO

ever been to Antioch in the summer smile.gif

I guess I'll leave it in it's "proper" location, it'll get all new FI lines for sure...
ppickerell
When you say the rubber lines, do you mean the short 4 inch sections right at the injectors?
Mueller
short 4 inch sections

those sections along with all the other rubber lines since I do not know the history of the rest of the fuel lines
fiid
trace the lines from the fuel pump around the injectors and all the way back to the fuel pump. Anything in that section is under 35ish pounds of pressure if your fuel injection is working right, and the rubber lines present the highest bursting risk. I would replace these as a highest priority. Ideally, you should also replace the lines under the fuel tank.

IMHO it is also worth carrying a fire extinguisher just as a matter of course. Getting cooked is just no fun - weather it's you, or you are able to save someone else with it.

l8r,

Fiid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.