Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Junkyard find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mudfoot76
I heard through the grapevine that there was a green 914 sitting in a junkyard in Thorntown, IN just a little north of my home.

VIN 4752906048

It had 1.8L badge on the rear and a "New England Region SCCA" shield on the engine lid. Odometer read 4449, obviously rolled over at least once judging by the condition of the tub. I went there looking for a set of Fuchs (and these are in my garage right now). There look to be some good pieces on the car still, and the interior (black) wasn't in bad shape.

This isn't my car, and I don't intend to buy it and part it out. I don't have the time in my life or space in my garage. However, if you are looking for a good trunk lid, or heavy doors, call:
(edit - adding the street address)
Thorntown Salvage Yard
302 W Church Street
Thorntown, IN 46071

tel 765.436.7183

I'm not sure how net-savvy these guys are, or if they know anything about Porsches or 914s...

Admins: Feel free to move this if you deem it not appropriate for the Garage

I'll post some pictures:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mudfoot76
lots more pictures to come...

Click to view attachment
mudfoot76
Click to view attachment

kj
mudfoot76
Click to view attachment
JerryP
shocked[1].gif
I have cars in my garage that are in worse shape than that looks to be.
mudfoot76
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mudfoot76
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
turboman808
The interior looks pretty darn good!
mudfoot76
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mudfoot76
When I said I wanted the wheels, the guys were kind enough to lend a hand:

Click to view attachment
mudfoot76
Rust:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mudfoot76
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
grasshopper
How were the rocker panels?? I really need those.
mudfoot76
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ptravnic
With little offort, that car could be parted out to fund a project. Taillights, lids, glass, seats, and hundreds of knick knacks which are hard/impossible to find...

Wish I had the space & time...
grasshopper
agree.gif the interior looks almost perfect.
mudfoot76
I have more pictures in hi-res (1200x1600) and if you'd like to see them, PM me with your email address and I'll zip them up and send direct.

Yes, the interior was in remarkable shape. The story from the yard manager was that this belonged to an old guy who was keeping it to restore but he didn't have time anymore. It apparently at a car wash somewhere, he didn't know where. It was brought into the yard on a flatbed. Not currently running, no idea when it last ran.

There were mouse traps in the front trunk, but no evidence yet of rodent infestation. I bought all five rims for a price that I couldn't refuse, however they wanted $100 for the plastic rain tray.

Aside from the bad rear suspension console, I would guess that the rust isn't _that_ bad. If you are interested in parts, give them a call:

Thorntown Salvage Yard
302 W Church Street
Thorntown, IN 46071

tel 765.436.7183
mudfoot76
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 15 2006, 03:08 PM) *

With little offort, that car could be parted out to fund a project. Taillights, lids, glass, seats, and hundreds of knick knacks which are hard/impossible to find...

Wish I had the space & time...

agree.gif

The driver's door didn't look like it had any rot at all. I could not open the passenger door. Both lids were in good shape, just minor surface rust. The front spare tire well was solid, and the rust in the rear trunk was only superficial too (I poked at it w/screwdriver).

I didn't mess with the longs, save for pulling the rocker covers away enough to snap the pictures.

maf914
What a shame. Looks like a lot of salvagable parts there. Now it will sit in the junk yard until they send it to the crusher. Hope you midwest guys can strip it before then. sad.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 15 2006, 03:22 PM) *

What a shame. Looks like a lot of salvagable parts there.

If there is enough of an interest, I found a garage in Indianapolis that is willing to cut the car up, if there is enough interest.

heavydriver
I NEED interior stuff. PM sent. piratenanner.gif
dlee6204
I am driving from Minnesota to North Carolina in a few days. I was thinking I might stop by and check it out!
grasshopper
If you do, please pick up the rocker panels for me, if they want less the $75.00 for them.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Aug 15 2006, 04:11 PM) *

I am driving from Minnesota to North Carolina in a few days. I was thinking I might stop by and check it out!

Please do! I really wish my circumstances would permit me to take this car and part it out.

Here is the address and phone number:

Thorntown Salvage Yard
302 W Church Street
Thorntown, IN 46071

tel 765.436.7183
GaroldShaffer
Road trip boldblue.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Aug 15 2006, 10:14 PM) *

Road trip boldblue.gif

When/if you decide to make a trip there, let me know and I'll meet ya!
VaccaRabite
I need to start calling scrap yards around my area. I need parts. bad.

Zach
914nerd
I would definitely be interested in the left taillight, all of the interior, and a few other parts.
Anybody going to rip it down and part it out?
bd1308
YO!

I'm in.

I need stuffs.

Garold, i'll pm you my number. If you all every go, let me know.

b
Chris Pincetich
Dude - 30 minutes with a few tools and you got lots of goodies. The side mirrors would sell fast. I'd also look at prying off the chrome trim around the front of the windshield if the windshield/targa seal is intact. I got a seal of a salvage car, cleaned it up, conditioned it, and it is now a very nice OEM gem ready to replace my cracked into three pieces NLA seal. Have fun beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
Well I called today to see if there was anything left of this car, I figured it would be picked over by now, nope only the wheels were gone. So I made the 1 1/2 hour drive down in the rain to see what was what. It was a spur of the moment type of thing, sorry for not PMing the local guys. Anyway I have doors, guages, center console, seats, steering wheel, visors, rear trunk lock AND a very nice damn near perfect targa to windshield seal, you know the one every wants but is NLA. All this for a very very very cheap price. I would have taken more but it started raining again and I was tired of playing in the mud.

There is a complete 1.8L still in the car and lots of other small stuff. If I get a chance I might try and go down again next week and pull off everything else I can get at. Now before anyone asks I'm not selling anything, yet rolleyes.gif I am working out details to get my car painted this winter and once it is home I will be installing some of these parts once that is done I will put thing up in the want ads here. The best score for me was that seal. boldblue.gif

If you are thinking of calling better hurry, they plan to crush it in the next few weeks. sad.gif
grasshopper
How were the rocker panles?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Sep 1 2006, 09:05 PM) *

How were the rocker panles?

Damaged by either the forks of the front loader or when they set the car on the ground. Not worth trying to save, 4 or 5 holes busted out were they attach to the door sill.
bd1308
I think i need a transmission
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 2 2006, 06:45 AM) *

I think i need a transmission

Call them and see what they want for it. They are very laid back and I am sure they would help you remove it.
mnementh
Geoff,
Does the clock work ?? rolleyes.gif If so, how much would you want for it ? Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.