Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark Plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
It's been suggested that "B9ES" plugs will not heat up like the standard Bosch or other brands.

I'm running FI w/a 2056cc. Spirited street driving.

Whats the spark plug scoop?
Jake Raby
I use standard Bosch copper plugs. every other plug I have tried has been either quick to foul or seizes in the head.

Most of the claims of other plugs are pure marketing. I once melted a set of silver spark plugs and chased thre problem for over 2 days.

I have tried most of them on the market, NGK sent me 2 cases of plugs to dyno. I only use one of those plugs now, the others were not worth a damn.

Bosch copper- we make 50-100 HP+ with them consistently. The key is a correct ignition system, not some super duper spark plug.
ptravnic
Thx Jake. I guess I was hoping to catch the unicorn on the other side of the rainbow where the fountain of youth lives...

Joe Ricard
Dude send me a set of them 100 + HP plugs.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 15 2006, 12:51 PM) *

Dude send me a set of them 100 + HP plugs.

I will, but you'll have to buy the engine they come in!

That should have read "50-100+HP PER CYLINDER" with them...

I have a 600+ HP EFI, Intercooled, twin plugged, roller cammed engine in my queue as we speak that'll be getting regular old Bosch copper plugs.

The Mighty Spyder engine made 257HP from 2.4 liters and it's fire was lit with 10mm Bosch spark plugs of the copper variety- all the way to 9,000 RPM.
Britain Smith
How about for turbo engines, which plugs should I use?

-Britain
Britain Smith
Hey Jake, I am about to purchase a couple of sealants from your store, would you happen to have a set of spark plugs that you recommend for my turbo engine that I could purchase as well? How about 8 copper exhaust nuts?

-Britain
Jake Raby
Britain,
What did you do for the plug diameter? 12 or 14mm?

I probably have something for you and the Turbo, but most of my Turbo engines run 10mm plugs for chamber strength..
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 15 2006, 12:22 PM) *

It's been suggested that "B9ES" plugs will not heat up like the standard Bosch or other brands.

I'm running FI w/a 2056cc. Spirited street driving.

Whats the spark plug scoop?

Might want to read up on spark plug heat range theory. 9s are REALLY cold. That's like a "3" in Bosch. 2.9 911s ran W3DPORs, and fouled them a lot. You wouldn't want something that cold unless you had an engine specifically designed to use them. I'm with Jake, for our cars the copper works best.

The Cap'n
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 15 2006, 05:37 PM) *

Britain,
What did you do for the plug diameter? 12 or 14mm?

I probably have something for you and the Turbo, but most of my Turbo engines run 10mm plugs for chamber strength..

Jake,

I am running the stock 914 head spark plug diameter for now...14mm. I wish I knew what I know now when I start this project. However, I am always looking forward and will probably look into your heads in the future...just let me get this thing running for now.

This is my shopping cart at your store:
Curil K2 Sealant #16001
Dirko #16008
Loctite 518 #16016
Valve Cover Gasket #60

I need spark plugs, copper exhaust nuts, and some carburator gaskets that go on top of the manifolds for Webers (can I get just the gaskets?)

-Britain
Jake Raby
I have some sweet phonelic spacers/gaskets that Len designed and did the research o for our engine program. These take the place of the carb/manifold gaskets and will take more boost than the engine can! These are not on the store but I can sell you a set for 45.00 (enough for 1 engine)

I'd go with standard w7cc Bosch spark plugs for your application. This is what I'm running in the stock engines were are doing Turbo development with and they work very well.

We have an LE 220/LE230 Hybrid cylinder head ready to be debuted tomorrow- its made especially for Turbo applications with a 90% I/E ratio and a full 220CFM of intake. Its a welded D head similar to the Mighty Spyder, but smaller. It has our exclusive Turbo exhaust port with heavy walled 10 gauge stainless steel Turbo stub pipes and an enlarged sealing surface for zero leaks and massive exhaust and thermal flow for decreased lag.

We'll be talking about these heads on 4th Dimension Radio on Thursday at 8 Pm- Don't miss it!
brant
jake, have you tried or experimented with any of the racing plugs.

My motor mechanic has some interesting custom race plugs (not over the counter stuff) that he swears by for Hi HP racing motors.

I haven't gotten any yet, but was considering trying them in the -6 for next year

brant
Britain Smith
Those heads sound awesome....I would love to see more. What is the 4th dimension radio?

As for the phonelic spacers, I actually made some to fit between the intake and the intercooler base for two purposes. 1. to get heat out of the intercoolers and 2. (the main reason) to space the intercooler up about 0.25" to clear the top of the 911 fan shroud. I was planning on running a set of carb gaskets on both the top and bottom of the spacer to ensure a seal between the intake and the intercooler base.

Is this the same idea behind yours? Do you have any pictures of yours? I would be interested if it is the same idea but executed in a better way.

-Britain
Jake Raby
jake, have you tried or experimented with any of the racing plugs.

Yes, not impressed. I have had plugs sent to me from most every manufacturer, none have been worth their cost as gains were sometimes not measurable on my dyno. Some plugs I have gotten second hand from some local NASCAR teams that have ran them in their engines and some they had not- still no gains in anything on our engines.
I remain open minded and willing to try anything, BUT to this point the Bosch copper plugs are in all of my cars but one, the Pinzgauer because it uses a plug that takes a screwed on type spark plug wire to be waterproof..

Is this the same idea behind yours? Do you have any pictures of yours? I would be interested if it is the same idea but executed in a better way.

This mayterial is the best phonelic type material that Len found. I have ,measured carb temps to be 40 degrees lower with this gasket used! Thats how well they work!! ALL my engines get them these days and the CNC heads require them.

Pictures of the LE 220 heads will be up later today.

4th dimension Radio is our new internet radio show that is all about type 4 engines, its co-hosted by yours truly and the first episode airs tomorrow at 8 PM EST. It can be downl;oaded at www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio every week. We are spilling the beans on so many new things that will only be talked about on the radio show!!!

Britain Smith
Jake, I will definitely tune into your radio show. I would also love to see the pictures of those heads.

Back to shopping at your store,

This is my shopping cart so far:
Curil K2 Sealant #16001
Dirko #16008
Loctite 518 #16016
Valve Cover Gasket #60
Bosch w7cc Spark Plugs

Do you have the following that I can purchase from you also?
8 copper exhaust nuts,
2 carburator gaskets

-Britain
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 16 2006, 01:16 PM) *

I would also love to see the pictures of those heads.

We'll be talking more about these on 4th Dimension Radio tonight (Thursday 17 August)!!!www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio
Listen in for more info!!

Len has done a TON of work on these heads and they have even more flow potential left in them! These are 42X40 with the new "Turbo seal" exhaust port and matching stainless steel stubbies. This unique port was adopted from the Mighty Spyder project and it works like crazy!!

BTW-We WILL be working with these heads on several N/A engines as well, of course with different chamber shapes and port flow margins. This would be an awesome head for 2.4-2.6L daily driver engine that needs serious grunt!!

I told you that 2006 was going to be a serious Turbo development year!! Its not over yet!!!
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Kudos to Len- AGAIN!!!! The bar just got raised higher.

BTW- twin plugging is optional
Britain Smith
Like I said in your other threads, those look awesome.

Back to the sparkplug subject, when using an aftermarket ignition system (i.e. electromotive) do you need to set the plug gaps different that you would for a stock coil system?

BTW, I am ready to hit "checkout" at your store but I need some copper exhaust nuts and carb intake gaskets, do you have them or not?

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.