Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where can I find a velios shift kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
I see them mentioned from time to time but I can't find any information on ordering them. confused24.gif

Anything else that might be better? I'm kinda limited I think with the 916. Wevo said they make nothing for it.
Brad Roberts
Patrick Motorsport was the last one to really buy anything from Vellios.

What do you need ?

B
turboman808
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 15 2006, 02:24 PM) *

Patrick Motorsport was the last one to really buy anything from Vellios.

What do you need ?

B

From what I understand they make a side shift kit that replaces the stock one and is supposed to work better.

I read that it mimics the 916 side shift but they made some improvements to it basicaly.
Mueller
I didn't think they made a "shift-kit"...just the cast aluminum assembly that goes on the tail end of the transmission, and since you have a factory 916 transmission, you already have the same thing (but better)
Brad Roberts
Mike is correct. They only duplicated what you have. It works, but it typically took a lot of work to make it function correctly.

B
GeorgeRud
Try www.ebarrettinc.com, he took over the old Vellios site, and it was still up this evening. I bought my Vellios kit from him and he seemed like a nice guy. I think that he was just selling off old parts, but they did make a tail piece for both the 915 and 930 transmissions. That should fit your 916 just fine.

Auto Atlanta also used to carry the Vellios kits in their catalog, you might give them a buzz and see if they have any left. Properly set up, they work fine and basically mimic what the factory did on the 916 transmissions.
John
You have a 916 trans?

If so, you DON'T need anything made by Velios.

The Velios kits basically turn the 915 box into a side shift 915 not really a 916.

From the pictures that I have seen on pbase.com, the 916 already has the shifter input shaft relocated as a type of a side shift configuration.

It looks like all you would need is a custom shift rod (from the firewall to the shifter input), and possibly a 915 shifter for inside the car (depending on what the shift pattern is with a 916 gearbox).

With a vellios kit, you need to use a 915 or similar shifter as the shift pattern is that of a 915 (reverse is to the right and back, not to the left and forward).

Post some pics of your 916 transmission.

Does it look like this?
turboman808
Yeah looks like the same part coming out the side. I just was under the impression velios made a side part that worked a little better. I still need to fiddle with the shifter I think.
Larry.Hubby
Velios did make a 915 side shifter kit. The one advertised on the first AA web catalog page under "transmission" (this page: http://autoatlanta.com/model/914-0704/Sec3/914-page042.html) is the Velios kit. The major difference between it and the factory 916 shifter is that Velios copied the 901 side shifter design to as large an extent as possible. The cast part that bolts in the side of the transmission carries an oil seal that puts the final joint between the shift rod and the shaft that works the internal shift rods outside the transmission, i.e. not in the trans oil bath. The 916 design had the corresponding seal on the shaft extending toward the firewall, so this last shift joint was inside the trans.

On at least some of the 916 parts, there was no return spring to load the shift lever into the 3rd-4th gate, and both Velios and JaideCar fixed this on their side shifter kits. If your 916 box lacks this return spring, this might be why it doesn't shift as well as you'd like. I have one of the JaideCar kits on a '78 SC 915 box in my car, and it shifts extremely well, I'd say as well as a stock 911SC. I had a Velios kit for a while, but traded it to Scott Yeaman for part of a paint job on my car. For all I know he may still have it, or know where it is.

Dr Evil
You could also get a Renn shifter. Probably cheaper, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.