Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PORTLAND PORSCHE PARADE 914S
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
BEE DRIVEN
The weather for the Portland Parade was perfect, and Portland is a great city with beautiful driving roads. I have many photos of the few 914s I could find at the event. I was hoping to see over fifty 914s,but I guess with the Concours held on a monday I could see it may have been difficult to attend for the westcoast clubs. One surprise was to see another LE BUMBLEBEE in great condition,which was my first in person besides mine,and it happens to have been owned before by the one and only Jeff Bowlsby. So I have some 914 shots I would like to share with all of you.

Nick.
BEE DRIVEN
These first photos were taken on saturday at the Red Lion Hotel parking lot. This 914-6 was very impressive,and powerful looking.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
Another view.
BEE DRIVEN
This orange 914-6 is a car I saw last year at the Hershey Parade. It was the most complete 914 I saw out in Portland at the concours. These photos are taken at the Red Lion parking lot under a shade tree. The tree played some nice games in the surfaces of this 914-6.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
More orange 914-6.
BEE DRIVEN
Orange 914-6 from Maine in a side view.
BEE DRIVEN
This is the day of the Portland Concours,and this is the first LE BEE I saw in person besides the one I have,so it was a good day for me.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
More views of the LE BEE.
BEE DRIVEN
Hey Jeff B. if you are out there, the first thing I noticed about the Bee was the yellow lower looked lighter in color than mine,but thought it might be faded alittle from the west coast sun.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
LE Bee in a rear view.
BEE DRIVEN
Another LE Bee rear view.
BEE DRIVEN
One more photo of the LE Bee in a 3qtr.frt. tip view.
john rogers
The first car is John Straub's and was built with a complete factory GT kit I think that was purschased from Alan Johnson Porsche back in the day. It has a 3L engine slightly warmed over so it does have a lot of grunt.
JeffBowlsby
Nick those are such excellent photos I will put them on the LE website if you dont mind with photographer credit. Jim Smiths Six looks like an incredible car, I can only hope to see it in person someday. Maybe San Diego if he drives to the Parade like he has in the past.

Thats Carl Latzels LE (from Victoria BC) and it was indeed my first BB, that car started my quest regarding the LE cars. I sold it to Carl about 2.5 years ago and he has done what looks like an incredible restoration to it. Carls good friend Ernie Kowal, also from BC, also has a BB and the two of them regularly do AX battle. Battle of the Bees, but I hear Ernie usually wins... Whatever that yellow color it is now, he has applied it (and the black) so I cannot comment on the color without seeing it personally. It looks a far cry better now than it did then.
BEE DRIVEN
Three in a field of Porsches.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 15 2006, 07:50 PM) *

Nick those are such excellent photos I will put them on the LE website if you dont mind with photographer credit. Jim Smiths Six looks like an incredible car, I can only hope to see it in person someday. Maybe San Diego if he drives to the Parade like he has in the past.

Thats Carl Latzels LE (from Victoria BC) and it was indeed my first BB, that car started my quest regarding the LE cars. I sold it to Carl about 2.5 years ago and he has done what looks like an incredible restoration to it. Carls good friend Ernie Kowal, also from BC, also has a BB and the two of them regularly do AX battle. Battle of the Bees, but I hear Ernie usually wins... Whatever that yellow color it is now, he has applied it (and the black) so I cannot comment on the color without seeing it personally. It looks a far cry better now than it did then.

Jeff, you are welcome to use the photos anyway you like. I am glad you like them,and it is good to hear from you again.

Nick.
BEE DRIVEN
It seemed that the few 914s that showed up half were 914-6s,and this one is a real nice example in red.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
More of the red 914-6.
BEE DRIVEN
Another frt.view from the drivers side. Boy that red looks great!

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
This 914-6 with the Factory GT kit is a great looking car as you could see parked at the Concours.
BEE DRIVEN
More of the 914-6 factory GT kit.
BEE DRIVEN
914-6 GT
Root_Werks
I am so friggen bummed I missed going to this. sad.gif Looks like great weather and good times. beerchug.gif Thanks for sharing the pictures!
BEE DRIVEN
914-6 GT driver's side.
BEE DRIVEN
914-6 GT from the rear view showing the exhaust pipes,and wide rear qtrs.
BEE DRIVEN
914-6 GT from a low frt view.
BEE DRIVEN
Interior view of the 914-6 GT.
BEE DRIVEN
Back to the 914-6 from Maine on the green of the Parade Concours.
BEE DRIVEN
Frt. tip view of the 914-6 from Maine.
boxstr
Gary Smith the owner of the 914-6 from Maine, won the long distance award for driving. He also ended up in the hospital on Friday night with Gallstones. He called me to pickup his car if needed. He passed the stones and was released on Sunday. He and his wife came by CAMP on the way home on monday.
He says that he may drive to San Diego for the 2007 Porsche Parade.
Craig
ConeDodger
QUOTE(BEE DRIVEN @ Aug 16 2006, 07:21 AM) *

Frt. tip view of the 914-6 from Maine.

A friend is looking for a 914-6 and was going to go shopping at Parade. Another friend approached the owner of this six and it is "not for sale at any price". He says he drives it to Parade every year since buying it in the 80's. Heck, those wheels are going for more than most of our cars these days.

My friend who asked him won the peoples choice and second in his class at the concours. He must have had a valve stem on one of his tires uncovered. Cool trophy though. Looks like a 356 steering wheel horn button.
Gustl
many thanks for all these cool pics thumb3d.gif

my personal favourite would be this one ... is it's not tangering ... signal orange would be great slap.gif

IPB Image

did anybody notice that there's something wrong with this car?
it has the MY'70 style rear bumper - but this red colour wasn't available in MY'70

IPB Image

but it's good looking

wavey.gif Gustl
BEE DRIVEN
The owner of this 914-6,James Smith must be the King of the Road when it comes to seat time in a 914. I wonder how James maintains the Concours condition of his 914-6. Anyway, thank you James for having your 914-6 at the show.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
The wheel,and tires look great on this 914-6 from Maine.
BEE DRIVEN
914-6 Interior peek, in-person the interior is in great shape. I wish I could have got a better interior photo.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
More views of the 914-6 from Maine.
BEE DRIVEN
Low rear view.
BEE DRIVEN
Low frt.view of 914-6.
BEE DRIVEN
Here was one eye-catching track car with the 914 CLUB.COM logo on the lower rocker.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
More of the track car.
BEE DRIVEN
Track car from the rear.
BEE DRIVEN
More.
Gustl
btw - I just forgot to ask before

any chance to get the VIN of one or the other 914-6 ???
especially interesting would be the MY 1970

wavey.gif Gustl
Dave_Darling
That's Steve Nieslony's car; he is semi-local to me. He's a credible TToD threat for any autoX that he shows up to... Except the Parade one, which was just sort of slightly a "power" course.

Nick, did you have the other Bumblebee that was at Parade? There were two that I saw; both were in the Saturday DE, in the same run group as My Attorney, and I saw each one a few other times as well.

--DD
JeffBowlsby
If there was a second BB at Parade, my bet is that it was Ernie Kowal from Victoria BC. Ernie and Carl (the Concours BB) are pals and I know they were both at Portland. Both are Ax junkies too.
BEE DRIVEN
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 17 2006, 09:08 AM) *

That's Steve Nieslony's car; he is semi-local to me. He's a credible TToD threat for any autoX that he shows up to... Except the Parade one, which was just sort of slightly a "power" course.

Nick, did you have the other Bumblebee that was at Parade? There were two that I saw; both were in the Saturday DE, in the same run group as My Attorney, and I saw each one a few other times as well.

--DD

Dave, I did see another 914 with yellow rockers,and maybe yellow wheels,but this car was in real rough condition. It was saturday 8-5-06 in the parking lot at the Red Lion Hotel that I saw this car. I walked around it,but did not take any photos. I did notice a chome front bumper,but this car needed alot of work.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
QUOTE(Gustl @ Aug 17 2006, 09:05 AM) *

btw - I just forgot to ask before

any chance to get the VIN of one or the other 914-6 ???
especially interesting would be the MY 1970

wavey.gif Gustl

Gust, I'm sorry I did not get any Vin# from any of the cars there.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
I just have two more photos of this dark blue track car.

Nick
BEE DRIVEN
Last photo of the 914s at the Portland Parade. Sorry if I missed some of the cars that did make it out there.

Nick.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(BEE DRIVEN @ Aug 16 2006, 05:06 PM) *

The owner of this 914-6,Gary Smith must be the King of the Road when it comes to seat time in a 914. I wonder how Gary maintains the Concours condition of his 914-6. Anyway, thank you Gary for having your 914-6 at the show.

Nick

Nick, though Mr. CAMP914 declared a name change was in order to protect the innocent, it really is "James Smith". I've slapped Craig aound a bit since, and he apparently has gone in hiding with a bruise or two. <grin>

Still haven't made my way across the country to my home port. The SIX decided to drop a fuel pump in Glendive, Montana. I'm awaiting overnight delivery of a replacement as I write. If it doesn't arrive, I'll likely host a weekend review of the Parade at the local corral.

As to maintaining the condition, I started with a nice car, drive it, and clean it. Fortunately none of the photos are closer than 5'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.