Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I WAS FREAKING!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
scary moment with a rocker stud- sounds like an unfortunate event with a musician...

More like a really heart pounding "oh sh*t" moment.
I'm getting ready to go to the South East Classic and Tail of the Dragon drive. Decided it was time to go ahead and replace those leaky pushrod tube seals.
everything had gone well. I took my time, I protected openings, cleaned and cleaned, used 2000 grit sandpaper to polish up inside the sealing surface in the head. I carefully and lightly bolted the rocker assemblies back in. I checked the pushrods slowly. I put the retaining spring back in and shined the light all around, making sure everything was right. For the last step I got the TORQUE WRENCH to check the specs. I knew I was close. First bolt took two clicks of the rachet and "ti-tink" it was 10 lb-ft. Next one was the same. The third bolt was about three clicks away from 10 lb-ft. The fourth bolt seemed to turn a little easy. One, two three, four, five, oh shit, sixseveneightnineten turns and it feels loose and crap oh crap the stud has pulled I knew it would happpen! oh crapcrapcrap!

I calmed down and spun both bolts back off and pulled the rocker assembly to see what carnage was under ther. It was fine. The stud was strong. But it had a little coper like spring around the threads. Oh, man! A previous heli-coil maybe? No. The THREADS FROM THE BOLT.

-ahh-

It will live again. I will make it to th SEC.
Tomorrow I will go to my favorite air-cooled shop to get new ones. Should I have known better than to reuse them?

SGB
see, I was all neat and tidy and everything...
So.Cal.914
You can re-use them In the past 24 yr's I've rebuilt my personal engine 3 times

and I have used them everytime. Just check them everytime you pull them off

and use a torque wrench.
Mueller
I'm betting it's the aluminum from the heads...you'll need a helicoil or a stepped stud (type I????)
SGB
I am so glad you are wrong. But I ALMOST managed to screw it up anyway. Stud was intact and well founded but after I GROPPED THE NEW NUT DOWn THE PUSHROD TUBE (do we have a slap yourself smily?) I had to take it all back off again.

So it is back in, car runs, I'm gonna run it hard tomorrow for a litle drive and check for leaks. WHEE what an adventure!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.