Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can you change a 1.7 into a 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HeloMech
I have a stock 1.7 and I'm going to pull it out for new pistons, etc. What can I do to make this a 2.0? Do I need a whole new case, crank and everything? What's the best route to getting a 2.0 upgrade?

Thanks
G e o r g e
if you want a true 2.0 then you will need to change the crank if you go to a 1911 you need to change is p&c plus head work( this is needed either way ) beerchug.gif
914werke
Go 1911 aktion035.gif
Definitly worth the few $ necessary.
1.8 or 2.0 heads will be ncessary though it is possible
to mod the 1.7 heads to work...
or Ill sell you a set of 1.8 heads I have cheap biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
I did it to my 1.7, picked up a crank and had it counterbalanced, set of rods

those too were balanced and a set of KS 94's for a 2.0. Heads will need to be

flycut for the cyl's to slip into them, I also did porting and valves, it helps.

Your "everything else" will work just fine. It's like night and day have fun.
lotus_65
are you going to stick with the fi, or go carbs?
the cam can have a big impact on power, especially if you switch to carbs. either way, opening the case to inspect and upgrade might be worth something. from what i understand, the 1.7 case is a great starting point for engine building.
ptravnic
I did what you are asking about. 1.7L --> 2056cc. Stock 2.0L were actually 1971L... I've stuck w/FI although the MPS will need some fine tuning. Before that tweak, other things will be required

-Need stock 2.0L crank & rods

-Need new cam (Raby 9550 or Webcam 73)

-Need matching lifters

-1.8L or 2.0L (NOT BUS) heads. 2.0L heads are MUCH more expensive than 1.8L

-Pistons & Cylinders - there's some options here. Why not use 96mm as opposed to stock (dish no less) 94mm? At a minimum use 94mm "euro spec" aka flat top pistons. Varying schools of thought on cylinders. Hone out your 1.7L, 1.8L, etc... Or go completely apeshit and buy Nikkies ($$$).

-Gasket set

Then there's balancing, clutch, etc. Of course none of this accounts for the "while it's out" disease... Maybe rebuild the tranny too? Maybe new engine bay rubber? Oh, the humanity... The men in white coats are coming into the room again, they've got that jacket w/all the buckles.......NONONONONONONO!
Jake Raby
I offer a kit to make a 1.7 or 1.8 into a 2.0 for the major internals.... The 2.0 core parts are the most expensive part of the process..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.