Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dizzy Disassembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary#
The 914 Manual sayz;
"Knock out pin 4 driver claw with a drift". Ahhhh - OK smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Huummm beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Huummm confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif This SUKZ - & the rebuild/shim kit
I got to reset axial play doesn't include a replacement pin. I don't want 2 fuch
this pin up with my smash.gif
Should I spark up the torch & give it another go - or go to HF & buy a small press?
whatayathink???
Thx, Gary

McMark
Well known to be a PITA to get out. I gave up the ONLY time I tried. Hopefully someone has had better luck, because I'm curious to see the rest of your rebuild. wink.gif
Bleyseng
just use a long straight punch to knock it out. Once you start it, they come out..

smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

thumb3d.gif
toon1
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 16 2006, 06:59 AM) *

just use a long straight punch to knock it out. Once you start it, they come out..

thumb3d.gif

agree.gif I made a mark on the bottom to I.D. the orientation so it doesn't go back together 180 out.
Gary#
QUOTE(toon1 @ Aug 16 2006, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 16 2006, 06:59 AM) *

thumb3d.gif

agree.gif I made a mark on the bottom to I.D. the orientation so it doesn't go back together 180 out.

-----
Thx - I made a mark too & I'm takin' pics just 2 be safe.
The part I'm having trouble with is the "Once you start it, they come out.." part.
I small press would make this a non-issue.
Marlow
I rebuilt my dizzy and had a lot of trouble getting that pin out. Had to do it twice as I reassemble it 180 degrees off. The bottom part is not very hard metal, I managed to put a few dings in mine and had to file them smooth.

I would recommend against heat, there are some fiber washers in there.
Gary#
agree.gif
I'm taking this puppy home with me tonite & I'm gonna owned.gif that pin!!!
When I was smacking the drift with my BFH smash.gif last nite & the pin didn't
move - I knew I needed 2 STOP B4 it was too late!!! w00t.gif
Nuttin' like having the right tool 4 the job - beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
That pin is a bitch to get out, as it the dizzy tries to spin. I ended up using a vise, screw and a socket. You will also need to get out the c-clip at the top of the dizzy shaft, take out the felt and you can see the clip holding the upper to lower dizzy shaft together.
Gary#
thumb3d.gif
I stopped and bought a 10" arbor press on the way home from werk.
And it was STILL a PITA biotch to get the pin to move - but it finally broke free beerchug.gif Schweet!!! clap56.gif

Dr Evil
Where did you get a new bushing kit? Do you know if they had them for 911 dizzies? That would fix my latest problem......hijack over biggrin.gif
Gary#
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 17 2006, 08:57 AM) *

Where did you get a new bushing kit? Do you know if they had them for 911 dizzies? That would fix my latest problem......hijack over biggrin.gif

-----
Evil-One - Cap'n Krusty recommended stoddard.com for the bushing kit -
Cap,n quote: "washers and shims for the shaft were available from stoddard, but you have to order a kit for a 356 cast iron distributor. The shaft bushings are available from some Volvo aftermarket sources."
Thx again Cap'n!!! smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
-----
I don't stromberg.gif 'bout 911 dizziez - maybe the Cap'n will chime in...??
zen motorcycle
QUOTE("7" @ Aug 17 2006, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 17 2006, 08:57 AM) *

-----
Evil-One - Cap'n Krusty recommended stoddard.com for the bushing kit -
Cap,n quote: "washers and shims for the shaft were available from stoddard, but you have to order a kit for a 356 cast iron distributor. The shaft bushings are available from some Volvo aftermarket sources."

That is for the 205 dizzy right???

And does anybody know the Volvo part number or name?
pbanders
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 16 2006, 11:00 AM) *

That pin is a bitch to get out, as it the dizzy tries to spin. I ended up using a vise, screw and a socket. You will also need to get out the c-clip at the top of the dizzy shaft, take out the felt and you can see the clip holding the upper to lower dizzy shaft together.

IIRC, Krusty told us that the best way to remove the c-clip was to hit the top of the shaft with a drift and it would pop off. Anyone ever actually do this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.