Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:going to have nightmares tonight..BLACK WIDOW spider
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
damn...damn....damn....

tommorow morning is trash day so I go out tonight to take out the trash...I feel a spider web on the can and pull out my flashlight on my keychain...I see this little SOB...3rd one spotted in our yard in the last few weeks....one was on my truck near the passanger door where are girls sit headbang.gif

this is war !!!! ar15.gif

anyone want to come over and take my trash can out to the street for me??? biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Rand
Dang nasty buggers!

My last home was on the southern Oregon coast. I didn't really think of that area as black widow land. But I but needed to shut off the water for some plumbing work one day, and when I pulled the concrete lid off the access to the main water valve I spotted one right before reaching in there.

I hate poisonous critters.

A friend of mine (again in Oregon) got bit by a brown recluse spider. The bite was on his head. The resulting damage took him down big time. It caused brain damage. When he came out of treatment, he was mentally like a child. All because of a freaking spider bite.
TonyAKAVW
Sounds like time for a shot of brake cleaner. that stuff knocks 'em dead fast.

-Tony
McMark
Got them all around my house. Gotta keep your eyes open. The worst is when I go to work on a car, feel their distinct web, and can't find the bugger, but I KNOW it's there. unsure.gif
ClayPerrine
My father bought a 27 chevy that had been sitting for years. When he got it home he found a black widow web, but no spider. He put a car cover over the car and put a bug bomb under the car. He still has the baggie with 5 dead black widow spiders in it.

The car got named "The Black Widow".

VaccaRabite
When I was looking at my house here in PA, the basement had a BW infestation. I was used to them from living in Modesto, but Erin did not know what they were other then spiders. I loved the house, so I did not tell her what they were till after we closed on it. Then it was bug bombs in the basement time. I have not seen one in there for about a year.

Zach
elwood-914
Hey Mike, Trade ya a half a dozen black widows for a rattle snake. poke.gif .......I HATE SNAKES.....
tdgray
WOW... yet another reason I live in NE Ohio.

No freaking BW's. No snakes (a few but not really deadly ones).

slapshot914
No big deal! When I was alot younger, my brother and I collected a gallon jug full of BWs and then hung the jug over a fire and watched them cook. Great fun for a kid. Course if I saw my kid do that, I think I'd be a little worried about his what was goin on in his head! Look what happened to me, I now own a black 914.
Jenny
someone clue me in. What is so distinct about a BW's web?

Jen
elwood-914
QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 16 2006, 08:30 AM) *

someone clue me in. What is so distinct about a BW's web?

Jen

Jen,
It is very strong. Unlike others when you walk into it or break it, you actually can hear it crinkle......you know it when you run into one.
Jenny
give me the heebejeebies just reading about it. And I'm not arachnaphobic.

Jen
Eric_Shea
And I'm not arachnaphobic.

I am... we killed a massive one this weekend too. I hear it's the most pain you'll ever be in.
grasshopper
ohmy.gif I was out in the garage taking the seat bottoms out of a parts car and right after I picked it up, on came crawling up from underneath of it, about 6 inches from my hand. I about crapped my pants. bootyshake.gif I HATE SPIDERS!
Aaron Cox
brake cleaner, and an aim and flame....

spiders hate flame throwers smile.gif

i hate spiders too
Trekkor
I'm just glad they aren't as big as cars and we are always getting caught in their webs...vampire.gif

KT
McMark
Trekkor, is there something you need to tell us? You seem to be awfully worried about things attacking you... unsure.gif

laugh.gif
Trekkor
Walk a day in my shoes...chairfall.gif

KT
BMXerror
When my brother and I pulled the engine on my teener and put it on the stand, he found one between the block and the fan housing. He used the brake cleaner/match trick. Then he looked in the hole where it was and said, "What's the matter, are you on fire? Lemme fix that for you." He gave him another shot of the flame, and immediately smashed him with the butt of a screwdriver about fifteen times. He seemed to enjoy it.
Mark D.
grantsfo
Black widows are overrated. Just be glad you didnt find one of these in there!

http://www.austmus.gov.au/spiders/dangerou...elweb/index.htm
gary gartner

Here is an alternitive to brake cleaner and flame method--
I use 3M #77 spray glue---stops them in their tracks without the 'flame" part
then I beer3.gif
anthony
How dangerous are they?

I found one in my garage the other day when I was cleaning stuff stuff out. It's actually the first one I've ever seen up close in real life. Should I bug bomb my garage now?
So.Cal.914
Black widows are extreamly dangerous. Some people will die straight away,

others without the reaction will survive. Tissue damage is not as bad as a brown

recluseClick to view attachment but according to my Nephew (who almost died) said it was unbelieveably

painful. But he was out of his head for three days so he missed the Real pain.

We have them everywhere you can't walk around here with out seeing at least one

which means 20 more are hiding. They are mostly nocturnal so you will see them

in numbers at night. There web is not geometric like most spiders, it's stringy,

dense and strong. I have never heard of useing spray glue on them, I like it.

I use spray poison and it takes about three minutes for them to die. If one bites

you get to a hospital quick and "STAY AWAY FROM THE LIGHT!"

GWN7
Yikes!!!....I'm glad I only have to worry about polar bears eating my ass
jhadler
Really folks, Black Widows are not as dangerous as they're being made out to be. Sure, being bitten by one will suck big time. It'll hurt (maybe a lot), and you'll probably be sick as hell for a few days to a week, but it's VERY rare that you'd actually die from a bite. My big concern would be for children, as they don't have as much body mass to dissapate the venom.

We've certainly got 'em out here in Colorado. Goin' out to the wood pile when I was a kid was always an excercise in caution. I've seen my share.

I definitely don't like 'em, that's for sure.

I'm waaaay more concerned about Brown Recluse bites than BW's... Those are just insideous...yech...

-Josh2
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 16 2006, 12:43 PM) *

Black widows are extreamly dangerous. Some people will die straight away,

others without the reaction will survive. Tissue damage is not as bad as a brown

recluseClick to view attachment but according to my Nephew (who almost died) said it was unbelieveably

painful. But he was out of his head for three days so he missed the Real pain.

We have them everywhere you can't walk around here with out seeing at least one

which means 20 more are hiding. They are mostly nocturnal so you will see them

in numbers at night. There web is not geometric like most spiders, it's stringy,

dense and strong. I have never heard of useing spray glue on them, I like it.

I use spray poison and it takes about three minutes for them to die. If one bites

you get to a hospital quick and "STAY AWAY FROM THE LIGHT!"

there goes my lunch.... barf.gif

thanks pal.
So.Cal.914
Your welcome. Would you like another? Sorry about that, but this is a subject that

hits to close to home. My Nephew was a grown man when he was bit and he

went thru a horrable time. Cramps in the back, stomach, legs and chest. It's

said that a person has not died in the US in a decade but he had profuse sweating,

difficulty in breathing, loss of consciousness, and violent convulsions. The Dr.

said that if he is alergic that the anti-venom could kill him but if we did nothing

there was a good chance of the same result. Yes there are people that will feel

ill for a week and be fine, I would be one of those people. But my wife will die

from one bee sting. Don't fluff off the Black Widow she is a mean heartless

bitch that will make you pay for your lack of respect for her. That last part

is my humble opinion.
Mr.C
I remember seeing an episode where the Croc Hunter came to California and put a widow in the palm of his hand. After it almost bit him he had this look of fear on his face.
I remember thinking, you'll play with wild animals that can eat you, but your afraid of a spider? confused24.gif
Root_Werks
My house is an arachnid friendly enviroment. biggrin.gif
pupwag
10D applied "ex pede"
Rrrockhound
QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 16 2006, 09:59 AM) *

WOW... yet another reason I live in NE Ohio.

No freaking BW's. No snakes (a few but not really deadly ones).

When I lived in Cleveland I worked at a bike shop and one day while working on a bike, I squeezed the brake lever and a black widow came out. (Spiders love bikes.)
alpha434
IPB Image IPB Image

What kind of spider is this???

A black widow. No shit. This is the most dangerous form, because nobody knows. They only get dark black when they are ready to carry eggs.

Meanwhile. I think that your nephew just had an abnormally violent reaction. I've been bitten twice and be a recluse once. The widows were INCREDIBLY painful. Like you're literally burning from the inside out. rush to the hospital. Get the counter-venom. Go home the same day.

The recluse was funny. Didn't know I had been bitten for about a week. The venom ate a hole in the muscle tissue in my leg big enough to stick your thumb in. Didn't hurt at all. But the venom, for some reason didn't travel into my blood stream. And it just sat there and ate away. Went to doctor again for that.

Been stung by a tarantula hawk. That was by far the worst.

Was REALLY into bug when I was younger. Had all sorts of college books on entomology by the time I was 8.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.