Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltage irregularities
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aveale
Family,

My E-Brake light is contsantly flashing now (Big deal - check the switch). I dismantled the switch and used a voltmeter.

The volt meter registered only 4-5 volts as opposed to the required 12V to close and complete the circuit to shut off the flasher.

Other than that, everything else works fine.

Anyone know how this voltage could be so low?

I am thinking i have a weak + wire from the flasher as my ground is solid - but I don't know how to verify this low reading.

Anyone know, in the event I cannon get my Voltage problem rectified, how I can disable the E-Brake flashing light?

Thank you in advance,

Tony
bd1308
push the button on your M/C

Didnt work for me (mine doesnt have a button) but should work for you.

b
aveale
tried that one.

In fact that is an entirely different issue.

Looking for a new approach!

Cheers,

T
Dave_Darling
AFAIK, the switches work by grounding the wire from the light. 5V or 12V, I don't think should make a difference.

Try unplugging the brown/white wire from the master cylinder switch. Try unplugging the wire from the button under the e-brake handle. (Don't let it short to ground!)

--DD
aveale
dave,

what happens if you short it to ground?

have i fried something and if so, what.........

T
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(aveale @ Aug 16 2006, 07:52 AM) *

The light starts blinking again, that's all. That's how the circuit works; the brown/white wire gets shorted to ground (by the appropriate switch) and the light starts going blinky-blinky-blinky... lol2.gif

--DD
davep
Unlike house wiring where a switch is on the hot side, many 914 circuits have the switch on the ground side of things. Just a small attitude adjustment. Check your fuse box for problems. Another trick is to use a couple of wires attached to the battery posts and a voltmeter. DON'T short those wires out! Use the two wires to check voltage differences between various points and the battery. This can reveal bad grounds and bad sources, especially under load.
aveale
now we are talking.

i am doing some brake bleeding tonite (fun) and i will reset the switch and check the grounding points.

Thanx y'all

T
jk76.914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 16 2006, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(aveale @ Aug 16 2006, 07:52 AM) *

The light starts blinking again, that's all. That's how the circuit works; the brown/white wire gets shorted to ground (by the appropriate switch) and the light starts going blinky-blinky-blinky... lol2.gif

--DD

agree.gif Anything you want to flash gets grounded to turn it on. That's so they only needed one flasher in the entire car- turn signals, 4-way flashers, e-brake light, and (in my car) the fasten seatbelt light. Anything you hook to the flasher output will flash when the other sided is grounded, without the others flashing....
aveale
well thanks again 914club.

turns out SOMETIMES my flasher lights when my MC switch has flipped and sometimes it don't.

Good brake bleed and no more bells and whistles.....for now.

Cheers and have a good weekend.

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.