Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting Front Camber Alignment ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am new to this but I am trying to adjust my front camber on my 914 per the instructions on the Pelican Tech article. I currently have about 1 degree of positive camber and it seems I have no more adjustment? I've only adjusted the front upper strut support mount and I know I need to adjsut the toe first, but what happens if you are out of adjustment and you want more negative camber? Is there another adjustment location, or am I SOL? Any help is appreciated!
John
I'd like to see some pics of that.

1 degree positive camber is the best you can get? How high is your front end?

The lower you set the front end, the more negative your camber will be.

Positive camber would have the tire leaning out at the top, negative has the tire leaning in at the top.

Is the camber the same on both sides? (+1 degree) Do you have bent struts?

You need to set ride height/corner balance first, then set toe, then set camber then set caster then recheck/adjust toe, check/readjust camber.......
vesnyder
Attached are some pics. It did not occue to me to reset the ride height - it seemed fine - what do you think? The camber is the about the same on both sides, but I wanted to get one side done before I completed the other.

It is definitely positive camber .
Dave_Darling
That looks plenty low enough. You ought to be able to get negative camber out of it at that ride height, so something is obviously wrong... sad.gif

So you've loosened up the bolts that hold the two plates to the top of the wheel wells, and you've shoved the top of each strut as far to the inside as possible, right? That should give you max negative camber. If you're still at +1, I don't know what to say.

--DD
John
Take pics of the tops of the struts inside the front trunk.

These need to be moved inward to give you more negative camber.

You didn't by chance buy any special ball joints did you?

The ride height seems ok, you should be able to get neg camber where you are at. (I originally thought the front end was way high or something)

Please post a few more pics. (TOPS OF STRUTS)
vesnyder
Push to the inside? For some reason I was pushing to the outside - toward the wheel? When you say inside, do you mean toward the middle of the car? This is the opposite of what I would think? I iwll give it a try and let you know.
John
Yes, the INSIDE. Toward the gas tank.

This will tip the top of the wheels inward giving you more negative camber.
John
While you are at it, you might just as well shove the tops of the struts towards the rear bumper as far as they will go while also tipping them toward the gas tank or the middle of the car.

This will give you more positive Caster. (you want about 6 degrees positive Caster)

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Jax914
What condition are the bushings in the lower A arms?
Dave_Darling
Pushing the tops of the struts outwards will give you positive camber. Look at it from the side, and remember that the spindle is (more or less) attached solidly to the strut. So move the top of the strut inward toward the centerline of the car, and that will move the top of the tire in. Negative camber! Move the top of the strut outward, and you move the top of the tire outward--positive camber!

Whew, glad it was a simple one.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.