Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats your footprint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
I am building a modified 4 and want the widest (& wildest) tires. beerchug.gif

I know there is a point where too wide is too much.

Is there a known width of tire that is optimum for hard driving?

Fenders are not a concern as I will modify if necessary. sawzall-smiley.gif

Joe
Aaron Cox
i have 7" and 8" fuchs under stretched rear fenders....

on the front, i have Yoko es100's, that have a stepped sidewall.. i will bet that tire patch on the ground is around 8"

in the rear i have same kinda stepped sidewall tires, and 225/50, patch must be at least 9"
WRX914
Front - 215/45ZR17

Rear - 255/40ZR17

I have steel flares...
Teknon
That gives me a better idea. thumb3d.gif

I'm gunna cut the front fenders of a donor car and put them on the back of my car. welder.gif Then I can put on whatever I want and not have a wider car

It's not a show car. I don't want flares. It make the car wider and the way i'll probably drive it ever inch is critical. driving.gif

Mueller
currently 205/40/17's on 7's on all 4 corners...soon going to 245/17's on 8's on all 4 corners....with current stock 1.8, the car will for sure be slower off the line and will need to work harder to maintain speed..seems like a stupid thing to do on my part, but since when has logic dictated what I do?? screwy.gif biggrin.gif
Teknon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 17 2006, 11:37 AM) *

currently 205/40/17's on 7's on all 4 corners...soon going to 245/17's on 8's on all 4 corners....with current stock 1.8, the car will for sure be slower off the line and will need to work harder to maintain speed..seems like a stupid thing to do on my part, but since when has logic dictated what I do?? screwy.gif biggrin.gif

If its badass it badass. Street car can do what they want. But I want to jump of the (line) so to speak also. Eights it is then. Whooopeee

Hey Eric restuds the hubs to 5 bolt porsche, but can they be drilled Ford or Chevy. Or is there something dictating otherwise??
SirAndy
currently 225/50x15 on 7" rims all around for street, 9"x15 schlicks for track ...

waiting to be installed: 315/35x17 on 11" rims blink.gif
Teknon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 17 2006, 11:46 AM) *

currently 225/50x15 on 7" rims all around for street, 9"x15 schlicks for track ...

waiting to be installed: 315/35x17 on 11" rims blink.gif

Sounds like you better beef the $h!t out of the body. But sweet!!!!!!!!
Mueller
QUOTE(Teknon @ Aug 17 2006, 10:16 AM) *

That gives me a better idea. thumb3d.gif

I'm gunna cut the front fenders of a donor car and put them on the back of my car. welder.gif Then I can put on whatever I want and not have a wider car

It's not a show car. I don't want flares. It make the car wider and the way i'll probably drive it ever inch is critical. driving.gif

HUH??? confused24.gif

front fenders are not going to give you anymore room in the rear...the track on a 914 is 1" wider per side in the rear than the front...

a 7" wide rim with a 205 is about the widest you can install without some sort of flare, unless you go with the hillbilly method of cutting the fender and have the tire/rim stick out past the fender (okay for a non-street car dedicated to auto-x, terrible idea for a street or track car due to crap getting thrown up by the tire unless you have mud flaps smile.gif )
Mueller
QUOTE(Teknon @ Aug 17 2006, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 17 2006, 11:37 AM) *

If its badass it badass. Street car can do what they want. But I want to jump of the (line) so to speak also. Eights it is then. Whooopeee

proper gearing (tire dia.) and a liteweight wheel/tire combo helps a huge amount

Hey Eric restuds the hubs to 5 bolt porsche, but can they be drilled Ford or Chevy. Or is there something dictating otherwise??

depends on the interferance with the original holes, i've re-drilled mine in the past to a common 4 pattern (4x100)

Joe Ricard
Street 225/50-15 Hankook (wide like and azenis) on 8" rims

Autocross 22 x 9.5 x 15 on 8.5" rims. You CAN NOT get a bigger tire between the fenders of GT flares than this big bugger.
shadygrady
I got Hoosier 255/45ZR17 (11 ") on 17X10" wheels on back of mine with 245/40ZR17 ( 10") on 17X9 wheels in front. I have GT flares just like Joe.
dion9146
Previous teener - Hoosier Street TD 255x50x15 on the rear, 225x50x15 on the front. With that setup I still had 21mm spacers on the rear and 10 mm spacers on the front with standard factory offset 15x10 and 15x9 inch Fuchs. Yep, it was wide.

Current teener with GT flares and 15x8 Fuchs - Dunlop SP Sport 8000's 245x50x15 rear, 225x50x15 front with 7 mm spacer on front.

Dion
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.