Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - more CL questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw

Have some CL related questions, if you would be so kind to respond it would be very helpful.

There are some regions of the country that have multiple CL sites associated with it (example: nyc has about 6). I need some info about related sites for the following:

1) Chicago

2) LA

3) San Fran

4) Seattle

5) Any other region that would be useful to you.

need info about prominent sites for these "areas"

I have something in the works which will be useful to everyone.

Thank you...
drew

lapuwali
What are you looking for, exactly? If you want the names of the related sites, they're right there on the site itself.

If you want a more complete name:

SFBay has sfc (City of SF), sby (South Bay: San Jose), eby (East Bay: Berkeley, Oakland, Hayward, etc), pen (Peninsula: San Mateo, Menlo Park, Redwood City, Palo Alto, etc), and nby (North Bay: Marin, Vallejo, etc).

bondo
Don't spend too much time on whatever you're up to... It might attract cease and desist letters, or maybe even lawsuits. I know some people have tried to make their own front ends and databases relating to ebay, and they eventually get shut down.
drewvw

those are subsites...what i am looking for is related sites for particular regions.

for example:

when you cruise CL boston you would start at boston.criagslist.org.

but if know what you are doing, you would also look on the following sites:

providence.craigslist.org
nh.craigslist.org
maine.craigslist.org
hartford.craigslist.org

maybe there arent any good way to group sites for some areas. but for the big boys (NYC, NE, LA, SF) there definitely are. thats what I'm trying to figure out.

drewvw
Yeah I've thought about that.

I've read the legal stuff...as long as its not commerical from what I can decipher I am in the clear....as long as I dont directly profit and designate it for "individual use only".

My idea actually helps bring more traffic to CL. I will release it soon with support for NE, NYC, LA and SF for starters.
lapuwali
So, if I'm guessing correctly, you intend to provide a map that allows people to select a craigslist region via some point-and-click interface? Or using some geolocation data, perhaps?

If so, talk to the craigslist people directly. They're nice folks, and really are genuinely interested in community building. If they like your idea, they'll help you with as much data as you need.

drewvw

actually that idea sounds a lot cooler than mine biggrin.gif

but its similar. Hmmmmm.....I've thought about contacting them, but have been worried they wouldnt like my idea and shut me down. T

Even though its a tool that helps them ultimately....
Part Pricer
Drew,

I think you'll find what you need at this link..

BTW, as some feedback, I would prefer the results to be left-justified (not centered) and with a white background. Other than that, it performs as expected.
lapuwali
QUOTE(drewvw @ Aug 16 2006, 01:15 PM) *

actually that idea sounds a lot cooler than mine biggrin.gif

but its similar. Hmmmmm.....I've thought about contacting them, but have been worried they wouldnt like my idea and shut me down. T

Even though its a tool that helps them ultimately....

If they're interested in shutting you down (I'd be very surprised), then they'd shut you down after you did all the research, got it all working and made it public.
bondo
One thing I've noticed with craigslist is they want to keep it local. They seem to have no interest in searching entire states or multiple regions. If what you're doing helps them keep it local, I'd expect them to be interested. If your idea will break down their local character, expect resistance. I suspect that anything that would be easy for them to do, but they don't do, (like being able to search all of craigslist) they aren't doing it because they don't want to.

BTW, craigslist constantly changes, so anything you put together may not work after a fairly short time. When I was looking for a 914, I put together this to make my daily searches quicker and easier. You'll notice the craigslist parts no longer work.
lapuwali
Craigslist actually employs a very small number of people (under 30, as I recall), and they aren't hiring at any serious pace. They're growing by adding regions, and the car section is absolutely NOT their focus (most of these people are anti-car hippies). The only thing that makes them any money are the job listings, and it appears the money is only there to keep the site running and growing, not to line the pockets of Craig Newmark or anyone else.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.