Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Front Wheel Hubs - Bearing to Spindle Fitment?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverfox
Just replaced front wheel bearings, races and inner seals on my '75 2.0. Question is when installing the hubs on the spindle I am assuming there is a slight interference fit on the inner bearing to spindle? What is the best way to install the hub? Put the inner bearing and seal in and then tap it on? Or should it just slide on farily easily without persuasion?

The car has been up on blocks for some years and it was covered with a tarp but the spindles do have some surface corrosion - should I take emory cloth to them and get them shiny?

Thanks in advance.
SGB
Mine did not have any resistance. I'll bet you hit it with the corrosion observation, though. Polish the spindle and try again.
ptravnic
I've heard if you put it in the freezer over night it just slides when it's frozen... Never tried it myself tho...

-pt
Joe Ricard
Yep, clean both bearing races. clean new wheel bearing and load with grease. Clean spindle with scotch brite, or emory cloth and oil.
Install inner bearing in hub and then carefully install seal. put assembly on spindle install outer bearing which you allso cleaned and greased.
then the keyed washer and hub nut.
adjust per factory manual or haynes.
silverfox
Thanks guys - that was fast!

Forgot to ask also - the manual says to pack the hub with 2.6 oz or whatever of wheel bearing grease - does this go into the center portion of the hub - stupid question I guess since there is nowhere else to put all that grease - but I just wonder why all that grease goes in the center? Does 2.6 oz. translate to a "handful" of grease?

Thanks
lapuwali
You want to pack grease into the caged bearing assembly. You then want to smear a bit into the (cleaned!) center portion of the hub strictly as a dirt trap. It serves no other purpose. The exact amount is not important. Some people also put some in the cap. Most people stuff way too much grease in there. I've pulled a whole kilo of grease out of hubs before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.