Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Fuel Pump, Fuel Tank, Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverfox
I need a little help with routing/attaching fuel lines on my '75 2.0.

I had the tank out as well as the fuel pump. Now am installing these items. There are two spigots at the bottom of the fuel tank, and two steel tubes and a small plastic (I believe a vacuum line for the window washer system) coming thru the front lower firewall.

The way I read the manual diagram is one outlet from the fuel tank goes to the fuel filter and then to the fuel pump. From the fuel pump outlet then to one of the steel tubes going to the back of the car - from the back of the car into the fuel loop going to the pressure regulator, and then the fuel injector fuel line loop is completed by going back thru the car to the front - but then where does that fuel line go - back into the other fuel tank spigot? The fuel pump just has one inlet and one outlet.

Also - I have read the dangers of the plastic fuel lines going thru the center tunnel - but it appears mine are steel - so was there a change made by Porsche from plastic to steel and what year model was the change made? Just want to be sure I don't have to worry about this problem.

Thank you for your help!
Marlow
On the gas tank one tube is for supply to the fuel pump and the other is a return line. So yes, your line returning to the front of the car goes to the return line. Careful here, one tube is larger and has a filter sock inside the tank, that's the one you want going to the fuel filter and pump.

All the plastic lines have metal ends. Check under the access covers in the center tunnel to be sure they're truly metal.
lapuwali
If they're steel end to end, some PO fit those, not Porsche. You can see the center of the lines in the tunnel. Remove the access hatch at the base of the backpad and the lines will be over on the passenger side.

SLITS
QUOTE(porsche914blue @ Aug 16 2006, 01:03 PM) *

All the plastic lines have metal ends. Check under the access covers in the center tunnel to be sure they're truly metal.

Not true...on my '70 project, the lines were all plastic...no metal ends. Also, they had seperate rubber insulators at the firewall(s) rather than the single.
swl
QUOTE(silverfox @ Aug 16 2006, 11:56 AM) *

From the fuel pump outlet then to one of the steel tubes going to the back of the car - from the back of the car into the fuel loop going to the pressure regulator, and then the fuel injector fuel line loop is completed by going back

Just to be clear about the direction in the engine compartment:

Out of the fuel pump, into the injector rails on the passenger side, pressure regulator then back to the tank.
SLITS
Tank.......filter......fuel pump......pass side fuel rail.....driver side fuel rail.....pressure regulator.....tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.