Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: eBay, Blue 916, the only thread PLEASE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rwjames
Not sure if someone has posted this yet. Only a few of these made, so now is your opportunity to own a real 916. At $350K what a steal. Check out this link to Sloan Cars website listing:

http://www.sloancars.com/vs1/detail.asp?CarID=173

Enjoy!
Pompano Beach 914V8
Thanks! I bought it.
Air_Cooled_Nut
You know I love the 914 but if I'm going to blow that much money on a car then it's going to a Lamborghini Muira pray.gif
aircooledboy
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! blink.gif

That guy has some amazing cars for sale. Kinda like a museum where all the exhibits have pricetags on them. drooley.gif
URY914
This will wake up a few pepole here. Whats the VIN#?
Gustl
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 27 2006, 08:11 PM) *

Whats the VIN#?

914-8
Incredible!

I'd buy it if it were $200K less!
nomore9one4
*SOLD* Pending he accepts my offer of $229.95 a month dry.gif That is a killer color combo.I love that interior smile.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(914-8 @ Jun 27 2006, 08:15 PM) *

Incredible!

I'd buy it if it were $200K less!

I'd buy it if I had the money ... no wait, it's repainted in non-factory-original colour
that would make less worth ... let's say half price rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif Gustl
ptravnic
Didn't AA have one of the 11 916's as part of their showroom collection at one point? My memory may be a bit fuzzy tho...

nomore9one4
oh yeah, he has to take my wifes Kia on trade! bootyshake.gif
RON S.

Isn't that the one

Dr. AA was trying to sell some years back?

Ron
Aaron Cox
this is the real deal of 916's smile.gif
Gustl
no, George has the only US spec. 916, originally delivered to Brumos (Peter Gregg)
that's VIN 914.2.33.0012
URY914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 27 2006, 10:24 AM) *

no, George has the only US spec. 916, originally delivered to Brumos (Peter Gregg)
that's VIN 914.2.33.0011

Silver-I've seen it. biggrin.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 27 2006, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 27 2006, 10:24 AM) *

that's VIN 914.2.33.0011

Silver-I've seen it. biggrin.gif

There is an article on it in the early parts catalog.You know, the parts that are always out of stock chair.gif
Dave_Darling
This one has been for sale for a number of years, off and on. It was on evil-bay a couple of times, too. I saw it in person at the 98 Monterey Historics; was pretty cool. It was also at the 2000 Parade in Sac'to. It lived in Eureka or somewhere up near there at that point. The owner saw that George had listed the silver car at $350K, and so he figured his was worth $365K, since it had been treated better. I think that comment was somewhere between sarcastic disbelief, and hope that he could find someone who would actually give him that sort of money for the car...

--DD
gopack
From sloan cars link:"Body Style: 914-6 Targa"

I thought all 916s had a fixed steel roof! so "coupe" would be correct!
johannes
I certainely wouldn't give that money ... It's not a REAL Porsche after all !... av-943.gif

OK ! I leave ... alfred.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(boboli914@att.net @ Jun 27 2006, 09:00 PM) *

There is an article on it in the early parts catalog.

there are articles about #12 in:
"Road & Track" - Feb 1972
"Excellence" - Jun 1994

wavey.gif Gustl
nomore9one4
That article is what inspired me to build mine. Although I painted mine yellow instead of silver because yellow is faster smile.gif
Brad Roberts
This is the one I saw drive away from the Palo Alto Concourse event several years back. Pulled right out onto El Camino and drove away. I about shit. I wouldnt be driving it in Palo Alto near Stanford..LOL

B
Pat Garvey
I wonder if Leno or Seinfeld have expressed interest?

With such an extremely limited following, they are about the only "enthusiasts" able to afford the damned thing!
ppickerell
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 27 2006, 02:25 PM) *

This is the one I saw drive away from the Palo Alto Concourse event several years back. Pulled right out onto El Camino and drove away. I about shit. I wouldnt be driving it in Palo Alto near Stanford..LOL

B

Yea, you know how crazy those Stanford guys drive!
914-8
I'd buy it, but I don't need two.

biggrin.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
highways
Yes it's me, I have decided finally to sell it. The constant polishing and carpet vaccuming detracts from my 'fun' time with this car. I have decided to invest my free time 100% into my 73' 2.0L with plenty of rust to keep me interested and active. I'm just not into fu-fu anymore. Beside the 2.0L gets better mileage anyway. Serious inquiries only please. george.gif
So.Cal.914
Correct me if I am wrong but I have never seen a 916 with the molding for

the vinyl (Or vinyl for that matter) on the targa bar. Am I spacing here?
73Phoenix20
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 27 2006, 04:16 PM) *

Correct me if I am wrong but I have never seen a 916 with the molding for

the vinyl (Or vinyl for that matter) on the targa bar. Am I spacing here?

No vinyl on the sail panels, but according to the photos on page 16 of Dr. B. Johnson's "A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity", yes, the molding on Targa Bar was a part of the 916 package.... or someone stuck it on later just to look cool?
horizontally-opposed
Seen it? I've driven it...

ph34r.gif

Permission to hate me granted.

pete
pokey1168
My only curiousity is the country of origin. Porsche only made one 916 for direct import to the states as a road car. It was shipped to Florida and was the only one to have a factory A/C option installed. Now that one would be worth the $$$$$. Anyone want loan me the $$$$$? happy11.gif happy11.gif
Dave_Darling
From what I've read on this very BBS, that one (the silver one) is a real POS. It's been crunched a number of times, beat on, abused, and (at least ~5 years ago) was not very well repaired. From the (very quick) looks I had at the blue one, it's in pretty decent shape...

--DD
URY914
DD,

never heard that Hussey's silver one is a POS. It was restored by the guy that Hussey bought it from. It has had only three owners.

Paul
TROJANMAN
Unless he's willing to post pictures of the hell hole, battery tray and longs, that car isn't worth more than $1500 in it's current condition. chairfall.gif

horizontally-opposed
With a freshened powertrain (RS 2.7 and 916 tranny) the blue car drove *REALLY* nicely.

Well buttoned down suspension and nice -- for its age interior, etc. Chassis rigidity was noticeably better over bad pavement and its was free of rattles and squeaks.

The thing I noticed though, is that a lot -- but certainly not all -- of you would probably be "disappointed" if you drove a 916 after so many of the "harder-core" projects from members here. I suspect a lot of them would blow a stock 916 into the weeds...

That said, I sure wouldn't mind blowing this blue car into my garage. wub.gif

The color combo is simply stunning -- Gemini never looked so good (I usually do not like it on early 911s) and the pumpkin (neither tan nor orange, but kind of between them) interior looks like it was chosen after one of the world's top designers held a gazillion color samples up to the Gemini.

But, as we know, that's not how it happened.

This car is SILLY good. Worth $350,000? Well, I guess we'll find out.

pete
davep
QUOTE(pokey1168 @ Jun 27 2006, 05:22 PM) *

It was shipped to Florida and was the only one to have a factory A/C option installed.

The 916 was shipped to Brumos to have AC installed since the factory felt that if the car was put on sale in the USA AC would have to be an option.
morph
does anyone know the color of the other 2.7 that is mech injected?
james
Gustl
due to the fact that I'm at the office now I can't cross-check it with my data at home, but I found this info on the web:

914.1.43.0195 - 2.4 l - 190 PS - black
914.2.33.0011 - 2.4 l - 190 PS - light yellow
914.2.33.0012 - 2.4 l - 190 PS - silver metallic
914.2.33.0013 - 2.7 l - 210 PS - viper green (later black)
914.2.33.0014 - 2.7 l - 210 PS - brown metallic
914.2.33.0015 - 2.7 l - 210 PS - silver metallic (VW)
914.2.33.0016 - 2.7 l - 210 PS - red
914.2.33.0017 - 2.7 l - 210 PS - blue metallic
914.2.33.0018 - 2.7 l - 210 PS - dark blue
914.2.33.0019 - 2.7 l - 210 PS - light ivory (later 3,2 l)
914.2.33.0020 - 2.7 l - 210 PS - silver metallic (VW) (later black)

maybe someone has the "Caught by Camera" book handy, they list the engine type as well as the engine numbers in connection to the VIN and built number

wavey.gif Gustl
IronHillRestorations
I believe that is the late Jerry Leonard's car, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I was negotiating with a guy in Indy in '94 or '95 (Brian) to buy this car, and backed out, thinking "what am I going to do with this besides touch it, wax it, drool on it??

Look how long Hussey's had his for sale, and it seems like this one has been in the "for sale" column regardless of owner. Even though there's a finite rarity to a 916, my guess is that it would be another ten years or so before this car ever gets close to the asking price.

I agree with Pete on this, it's a 914, and it's not hard to build a better car than a "real" 916. There's plenty among this group that have been developed way past the 1970 technology in a 916.

IIRC it was on eBay a couple years ago and never got past $75k.
horizontally-opposed
Oh yeah, I forgot to add how blown away I was by the side-shot comparison between 914-8's car and the 916. The black car is STUNNING!

And I know which one I'd rather use on the road. For that reason alone, I guess I am glad that the only people who can afford these cars are the ones who will preserve them as history pieces.

Me? I'd rather drive 'em. Really drive em. driving.gif

pete
Gustl
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 28 2006, 04:14 PM) *

I believe that is the late Jerry Leonard's car, ...

yes, that's absolutely correct

I just checked the engine thing

the above info seems to be correct
the engine numbers are:
632 5001 - 632 5002 the 2.4 l, 190 PS (911 S)
632 5021 - 632 5027 the 2.7 l, 210 PS (2.7 RS)

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 28 2006, 05:19 PM) *

... I guess I am glad that the only people who can afford these cars are the ones who will preserve them as history pieces.

agree.gif
Ferg
I thought sloan had this car, but he's back east no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-916...bayphotohosting

Ferg
Eric_Shea
w00t.gif
StratPlayer
This must be the one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911...sspagenameZWDVW
Eric_Shea
av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
(twas a parody thread) lol3.gif
URY914
You gotta be quick around here. You'll notice I beat my two 914 brothers with the news. I use a light weight keyboard. driving.gif biggrin.gif

Wait, upon review by the chief of timing and scoring, Ferg did beat me by a minute. sad.gif
Ferg
bootyshake.gif

Ferg beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
You'll notice I beat my two 914 brothers with the news.

And the second brother was making fun of you for being such a sloth biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.