Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maybe this is why it didn't shift too well
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Actually I thought it shifted pretty wel but Kevin (rhodyguy) asked why it was so hard to get into 1st. Maybe this was the reason.

Funny sometimes things change so slowly on these cars you don't realize there falling apart. Then sometimes the driver just isn't too perceptive. (I wonder if that has anything to do with what I did in college). Anyway time for new bushings.

Dave
jnp914
I am guessing this is a side-shifter. Exactly what am I looking at here?
BenNC
The top half of a cup bushing.

I had a similar affect with a cone screw that was creeping out. It got gradually worse and I kept adjusting my shifting for it.

The nice thing is that when you get a problem fixed, the normal vagueness suddenly seems crisp.

We've spent so many years hearing how badly these cars shift that we just assume that its normal.
maf914
I did the bushing replacement when my car was about 20 years old at around 100K. The rear cup bushing was broken but the pieces were still in place on my car. The bushings which were really gone were the two in the shift linkage universal joint at the firewall. Pieces had leterally fallen out into the rubber boot. Check that if you haven't yet.

Your right about the gradual long term degradation often being unnoticable. At least until shifting becomes impossible, like when the universal joint bushings crumbled.

Mike
Mueller
the part in red is missing..........
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 22 2003, 09:14 AM)
the part in red is missing..........

Hey, that's the way to illustrate something. Very nice!!!
jnp914
"You never 'splained it like that, Luceee!"
maf914
Hey Mike,

Is that the red CNC milled billet cup bushing that you plan to market, along with the Purple billet taco plate? laugh.gif

Mike
Mueller
Is that the red CNC milled billet cup bushing that you plan to market, along with the Purple billet taco plate?

Everybody like a nice ass, nobody likes a smart ass !!! smile.gif
mightyohm
Haha mine looked like that too when I got my car... I was wondering why I had to go over a foot to get 4th gear.
redshift
ROFL!

Nice one maf!

M
Bruce Allert
My shifting has been getting noticably different...
Must be time for another adventure in "Under the Teenerland"

bruce
rhodyguy
there is nothing worse than an owner tossing you the keys , you start machining 1st gear ohmy.gif, and you know he's thinking "what's this a-holes f-in problem". get them all dave. it's much more fun with the engine out. toss them in the microwave(in water of course) to soften them up. get the 2 that cradle the ball on the base of the shift lever too. i should be on the road next week. i put in the weitmister and did mine. your turn to machine some gears laugh.gif .

kevin
"externally adjustable"
DNHunt
Kevin

When you come over on Saturday can you bring a floor jack, dolly and any old sheet metal you have. Maybe we can play with the welder.

The drop should be a snap. Everythings all undone and disconnected. The nuts on the mounts are broken loose. I'll recheck everything this afternoon.

If you have the time Saturday I'd like to head down to Triad. MONOBALLS

Dave
rhodyguy
when you got your package, did you get turbo tie rods? plan on doing your ball joints. brad's air chisel method for removal was way easy. about 10 seconds. now figuring how to retorque to 180# is the next hurdle. i cut both the old ends and ball joints open just to see. wholly crap!! my old tie rod ends and ball joints were time bombs. doing the alignment with out the swap would have been a waste of money.

kevin

and just for drill get new tapered ball joint clamping bolts, washers and nuts. mine came out hard. as in ruined. a little spendy, but it will save you some time. i was planning on bringing those items.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.