Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got boost?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby

For you, Britain...

We'll be talking more about these on 4th Dimension Radio tonight (Thursday 17 August)!!!www.aircooledtechnology.com/radio
Listen in for more info!!

Here they are! Len has done a TON of work on these heads and they have even more flow potential left in them! These are 42X40 with the new "Turbo seal" exhaust port and matching stainless steel stubbies. This unique port was adopted from the Mighty Spyder project and it works like crazy!!

BTW-We WILL be working with these heads on several N/A engines as well, of course with different chamber shapes and port flow margins. This would be an awesome head for 2.4-2.6L daily driver engine that needs serious grunt!!

I told you that 2006 was going to be a serious Turbo development year!! Its not over yet!!!
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Kudos to Len- AGAIN!!!! The bar just got raised higher.

BTW- twin plugging is optional!
McMark
ohmy.gif

That exhaust is HUGE! happy11.gif
Jake Raby
You should see the flow numbers.....
So.Cal.914
After I ported mine I heard that you can weld that area around the exhaust port

to give room to enlarge the port. Any truth?
Jake Raby
You'd be suprised at what works and what looks like it would work but doesn't..

We have seen heads with huge ports that didn't flow as well as stock and had grossly worse air speed- thus making less power and being a bitch to drive.

Its not the size of the port, its the shape and the size and the portions of the port that are worked the most. These prototypes of the LE 220 have about 4 solid months in their design.. Its a matter of trial and error with silicone pours being made along the way to model the port and see deficiencies..

Bigger isn't better especially if you sacrifice velocity in the process.
Twystd1
It just ain't fair.... Len (or you?) posted the CFM graphs over at STF. a while back....

Numbers don't lie...

With roller lifters and the cam profiles that can be used with roller lifters....

And a set of Lens roller rockers..... and...... and...........

Hell Jake..... Bring on the turbo pics so I can just finish the wet dream............

Twystd1
ptravnic
I've had 6 conversion lust for 15 years but after seeing the improvements you've made over the last 2 or 3yrs w/these engines I'm starting to lean toward a RAT powered drop in...

Hmmmmmm........

Nice work Jake. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the applications.

-pt
Jake Raby
Twystd1, email me - I have a shroud for ya but keep forgetting to ship it!!

Len doesn't have roller rockers, they are something the LN Engineering and myself are working to create and do the right way to compliment my roller lifter program.

The 914 Turbo kit is shoved under the bench where it will remain, but when you see the other kits I'm working on for conversion applications you will die! Right now all of them are in developmental stages and look very hacked up- the production models will be a different story.

I have an engine in the works that gets every trick in the book and should make well over 600HP at the flywheel for a street driven, tube chassied, air conditioned Beetle application!

ptravinic,
Thanks for the compliments- we all bust our asses for results, in the past two years we have made the biggest headway ever with the best results than ever before!
ChrisFoley
Those cylinder heads are incredible!
The work Len did to shorten and straighten both intake and exhaust flow paths, combined with the increased crossection and bigger valves makes huge flow #s possible. I need to make a bigger header! biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 17 2006, 07:08 AM) *

Those cylinder heads are incredible!
The work Len did to shorten and straighten both intake and exhaust flow paths, combined with the increased crossection and bigger valves makes huge flow #s possible. I need to make a bigger header! biggrin.gif

Yep- at least 1-7/8"... I'd like to try a 2" as wel...
Chris Pincetich
twin plug turbo TIV w00t.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
Jake, do you need your house painted? Let's make a deal. biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Aug 17 2006, 09:32 AM) *

twin plug turbo TIV w00t.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
Jake, do you need your house painted? Let's make a deal. biggrin.gif

You'd have to paint my rental property, every building on my shop compound and agree to cut 26 acres of grass for the next 20 years and then we might talk!!

Aaron Cox
jake, looks killer!!!

with all the work len has to do to each head, would it be more time/cost effective to cast up new heads with these characteristics built in?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 17 2006, 10:36 AM) *

jake, looks killer!!!

with all the work len has to do to each head, would it be more time/cost effective to cast up new heads with these characteristics built in?

These will be a CNC offering faster than you can blink an eye!

If we made a completely new head the cost of each unit would double due to recouping R&D expenses..

To digitize an offering a had ported perfect version must be completed, this is that unit..

Listen to the radio show tonight for more info!
Brad Roberts
Interesting!!

The ports look a LOT like a Big Block Chevy!!

B
Britain Smith
Those look sweet! In addition, I don't see any issues with adapting those into my engine as they use the same intake manifolds and the stubbies. Is that the phenolic spacer that you were referring too? Will you need to sandwitch it with two intake gaskets for sealing or not?

-Britain
Brett W
Any problems with heads flexing under high boost applications? That was always one of the problems with the stock T4 head. Flex under boost.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Brett W @ Aug 17 2006, 04:38 PM) *

Any problems with heads flexing under high boost applications? That was always one of the problems with the stock T4 head. Flex under boost.

Not with smaller bores.. Our largest Turbo bore is 98mm as more simply isn't needed- reasons like this is why I am forcing failures to come up with some general rules...

Big bores are where problems begin, even with N/A..

My primary Turbo bore will be 91mm..

Britain,
The gaskets are the same material as those, we have them for all of our intake ports as well as for each intake to carb/Throttle body mount... They KILL heat transfer, especially if used at the cylinder head and at the carb sealing surface..
Brett W
makes sense.
Aaron Cox
dude. keep on fighting at the R/D front.

we love it man.

AA
messix
jake what are you using to stop heat transfer from the intake studs/nuts to the manifold?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 17 2006, 11:10 PM) *

jake what are you using to stop heat transfer from the intake studs/nuts to the manifold?

Not pictured are special washers that are laser cut from the same phonelic material... These go under the nuts to isolate the heat transfer up the stud and through the nut and itno the manifold!

The issue doesn't exist very much at all because the studs are steel, not aluminum. Since aluminum is a great conductor the manifolds get really hot when bolted straight to the head- this material seriously reduces that.

When using carbs this manifold heat is a real killer because it heats up the fuel in the float bowls and hot fuel doesn't atomize well at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.