Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FAT Performance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I fear this may turn into a lot of popcorn[1].gif but I haven't seen it discussed before, so...

A while back there was a really killer big four 914 featured in Excellence Magazine.

I noticed a very cool looking cooling shroud... it was especially stealth... the shroud was a very compact fiberglass piece, and there was NO tin. Just lots of space around the engine and you could see the ground through the engine bay. Looked fantastic.

First thought was: Wow, what a clean setup. Second thought was.... Wouldn't that allow more warm air to get back to the cooling air intake and the induction? But then, it seemed this car had no trouble, and the supplier (FAT Performance) had nothing but solid credentials and lots of track record history with high-demand racing scenarios.

So maybe there's enough airflow around all this to alleviate the hot air recirc concern? They claim good oil and head temperatures on their high power racing engines.

I dunno. I love the straight belt without the 90 degree turns and pulleys. I love the clean and simple engine bay. But sometimes what looks appealing doesn't work the best.

I trust Jake because of how many posts I've seen where he shares his info and backs up his work, and by how many people have reported on how his engines rock. There is no debating, RAT is premium.

I haven't seen any discussion of FAT Performance here. They seem to be solid from what I've read, but I'm curious about more real experience outside of their own claims and that Excellence article. So, anyone else have any experience or solid info about the performance, reliability, and longevity of FAT stuff????
alpha434
Sorry to hijack, but... What about horizontals? Do they work ok?
McMark
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Jake's favorite cooling system is this one... wink.gif
Twystd1
If I am not mistaken...

Jake has tested the 911 style setup which I believe is what FAT is using in the pic you provided.

I sure he will chime in here.....

I strongly suggest you search out your shroud answers on this BBS and also at the STF forums. Great technical stuff over there specific to performance engines and engine tweaks.

And I believe Jake has shown the dyno charts of this shroud on this BBS...

Search is your friend.....

Twystd1
Twystd1
And that shroud setup even looks better with the bell crank setup VS the CB carb linkage.... (alignment nightmare)

Show a pic Senor McMark of a painted shroud and bell crank setup.....

Shaweeeeetttt...........

Twystd1
Jake Raby
Momma always told me that if I couldn't say anything good that I shouldn't say anything at all and I'll certainly take the "High road" on this one and only give you some facts.

All I can say is that you should read my posts from my 18 months of cooling system testing from back in 2003 for more info and that one should look at these pages from my recent 3,450 mile cross country R&D trek very seriously- a major portion of this test was cooling system R&D- especially the effects of engine bay and fan inlet temps Vs net cylinder head and oil temperatures.Jake's 3,450 mile trip

We averaged 76 MPH over a 4.5 day span testing all sorts of things, climbing the Continental divide and giving the engine not one rest and ZERO maintenance. This should speak volumes for dedication and the abilities of our 170HP, 2270 engine. For a few stents like the one below we traveled at speeds in excess of 100 MPH for as much as 15 miles at one time with confidence that the engione would perform flawlessly while data logging our information and sharing it in real time here on the net.

here is one portion of a dat log that we gathered. Note the AVERAGE speed was 81 MPH over a span of 67 miles! At times we were over 100 and had to back out of the throttle due to highway patrol activity. Now note the head temps and the fact that they are COOLER THAN A STOCK 2.0 ENGINE!!! Then note how close together all the tremperatures are and think aboutb the fact that the stock system has a typical SEVENTY FIVE DEGREE temperature differential at all times on even a 100% STOCK engine, this engine was making 70% MORE power than stock, ran cooler and with less delta! I had over 25K bucks worth of test gear in the car to gather this data and a third party Medical engineer in the back seat that specializes in data acquisition as a primary objective in his daily job to run the systems while I drove the beast.

IPB Image

Sitting your ass in the driver's seat of a 1966 Beetle for 23 hours straight, only taking piss breaks and making gas stops takes serious dedication, that day we traveled from Chicago to Denver in one day fighting 50 MPH head winds through the plains all the way! I love to push things to the max while my competitors sit at home and drink a glass of tea, this isn't a job for me and my team- its our lives and thats why we will not be superceded in any aspect of the TIV engine- period.

The information that one needs to make a sound decision is right here on the net, it will be apparent read this page about one of my F production racers for some of that info What happens when one ditches the 911 system Here is a quote from a recent post on my forum from a DTM owner

Yea, I was one of those non-believers thinking that the stock system was good enough for VW so it must be good enough for me. So my head temp was normally 425F (measured on cylinder number 3 only), big deal. At least it wasn't 450F! My heads were rebuilt and guranteed not to drop a seat by Mark Stephens HP in the hills of California. I'm not knocking them in an way, the heads haven't dropped a seat yet and they've been subject to 450F temps.

So I've been running type 4's for 20 years now and the most annoying problem was that I had no room for a decent exhaust system because of the stock shroud. My initial reason for purchasing a DTM was to have more room for a quieter exhaust, not a cooler running engine!

So I watched Jakes video once through, read the instructions and started putting it together. Had a couple questions and as always, Jake got back to me in a timely manner. I was finally able to build a cleaner and quieter exhaust system, but that wasn't the best part. I was now equipped with a Westach dual CHT gauge to see what both sides of the engine were doing. On my initial drive I swore the gauge was broke. 300F??? I've never seen temps that low! I have purposely tried to raise the head temps by running that engine hard on the hottest days of the year. Most recently, the ambient temp was in the mid 90's while the cylinder head temp remained 275-300F.

The engine BTW, is a 2270 that I personally built, balanced by Jake. Its had a few hiccups and I've probably spent about as much as it would have been to just have Jake build the whole setup and send it to me BUT I never would have learned as much as doing myself.

I've got to thank Joe Locicero as he was the original creator of the DTM shroud concept (I'm sure he's smiling down on all of us). Jake, you've taken his dream and made it a true success through your hard work and perseverence. I can't thank you enough.

So, thats more than I should have said- all I will add is the wise customer spends his money for the most effective and most thoroughly developed component- period.
tomburdge
Are you talking track or street?Type1 or type 1V. If your talking type 1V for the track I'll just tell you that to the best of my knowledge none of the 914's that went to the SCCA runoffs last year used this system.The winning FP car built by Finch costing many, many, many,$$$$ uses a modified stock fan as does Les Handly(the 2nd fastest 914). I also use the stock fan setup on my FP car and have never seen headtemps over 300-325....and this is a high compression ,high HP motor.You can deduce what you want from this info,but for this racing application the FAT system just seems like alot of extra $ ,weight and parasitic drag on the motor for no justifiable reason.
ottox914
Friend of mine had FAT build him a 3.0 4 cyl for his auto cross car. We'll be taking it out for its maden voyage this weekend. I talked to the guys at fat about this motor and street motors. They recomended for a street motor, even with the upright fan, that tin be fabricated to go from the engine to the engine shelf to seal the top and bottom sides of the motor- if not, the engine would be prone to overheating. For a race application, with no stop and go stuff, leaving it all open was fine.
race914
I've dealt with FAT Performance for sometime now and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I did build my motor before I was aware of Jake and I'm now keeping an eye on his TIV turbo motor project.

However, I'm currently running FAT heads, Cam and 911 cooling shroud and couldn't be happier. What a great bunch of guys, and they definitely know Type IVs. I also run Chris Foley's Tangerine Racing headers and Phase 9 which completes the package...

I'm running 1:51's at Laguna, and am in front of many sixes! rocking nana.gif
I love the expressions on my competitors faces when they ask "what size six are you running", and I pop the Lid!

That in itself is a testament to a FAT Performance motor. If I knew how to drive, my car would probably be in the high 1:40s! (I have BRF... Brain to Right Foot disorder)

Here's my pride & joy from FAT

Click to view attachment

And my awesome tri-y headers from Chris

IPB Image

Wish me luck at the Sept 22-24 Laguna Seca SCCA Vintage event! (still working on that BRF thang smile.gif )

Rand
I have followed Jakes stuff. The intent of my post wasn't really to search for the best cooling system. I'm already convinced Jake's is the best.

I was looking for some talk about FAT Performance because they seem to be popular and successful but haven't seen much discussion of them here.

I also thought it was interesting that they seem to get adequate cooling with no other tin. Obviously Jake's setup with the additional tin would be better. I don't know what kind of actual temp numbers they are getting, but there are a lot of their systems in race cars and they claim good cooling under extreme conditions.

Didn't mean to dredge up stuff that I should be searching for... just thought it was an interesting topic to chat about.
tomburdge
QUOTE(race914 @ Aug 17 2006, 07:44 AM) *

I've dealt with FAT Performance for sometime now and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I did build my motor before I was aware of Jake and I'm now keeping an eye on his TIV turbo motor project.

However, I'm currently running FAT heads, Cam and 911 cooling shroud and couldn't be happier. What a great bunch of guys, and they definitely know Type IVs. I also run Chris Foley's Tangerine Racing headers and Phase 9 which completes the package...

I love the expressions on my competitors faces when they ask "what size six are you running", and I pop the Lid!

That in itself is a testament to a FAT Performance motor. If I knew how to drive, my car would probably be in the high 1:40s! (I have BRF... Brain to Right Foot disorder)

Click to view attachment

IPB Image

Wish me luck at the Sept 22-24 Laguna Seca SCCA Vintage event! (still working on that BRF thang smile.gif )

Please don't think I'm knocking FAT. I did alot of business with them for years and Greg treated me fairly.But Jake is my engine "guru" now and in my opinion is light years ahead of them in terms of knowledge and development.
When Toyota offroad stuff became the staple at FAT ,I thought it was time for a change. Besides dealing 3000 miles cross country was becoming a real pain in the bootyshake.gif

Yes, and good luck a Laguna.As a Jersey guy,Laguna is one track I've not had the pleasure of driving ,but I'm hoping they just might try to have Rennsport Reunion 111 there.That would be great . East meets West for world 914 domination.

BTW I also use the same headers on my FP car.They are well made and make some serious "ponies" according to Jake.
Jake Raby
Thanks, Tom....

Get the runoffs motor heading this way soon, we need those heads!
bondo
I seem to remember hearing that those 911 style fan conversions didn't have a problem with air volume, but had a problem with evenness of cooling. I don't have anything first hand, but it might be something you want to look into. It doesn't matter if you get enough air if it isn't distributed evenly.
Jake Raby
They are empty inside... AND we designed for an entirely different engine!
thomasotten
So are you saying that the FAT performance 911 shroud is designed for a type 1?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Sep 25 2006, 11:43 AM) *

So are you saying that the FAT performance 911 shroud is designed for a type 1?

nope.. was designed for a SIX smile.gif

they need diverters and guides to even airflow...

use a 5 blade fan if it overcools... or a bigger pulley
grantsfo
QUOTE(race914 @ Aug 17 2006, 08:44 AM) *

Click to view attachment

IPB Image

Wow thats a beauty! I didnt realize you were running a FAT. Of all the T4 guys I talked to they impressed me as being the most "down to earth" high profile builders. Curious with warm weather have you had any cooling issues? The Rahal hill should be a good test of whether that motor was staying cool or not. Seems like there is a lot of conjecture from some, but you have actually run this engine in competition like enviroments.
test
Look here for some improvements to the FAT 911 cooling system

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthrea...ght=911+cooling
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 17 2006, 12:55 AM) *

So maybe there's enough airflow around all this to alleviate the hot air recirc concern? They claim good oil and head temperatures on their high power racing engines.

Sorry, but this statement runs right into one of my sore points... I hope I'm not too obnoxious about this (just obnoxious enough to make the point!!).

A Racing Engine Is NOT A Street Engine!!!

Aah, that feels better.

Racing engines are really nifty, and are often the source (or even more often merely the inspiration!) for improvements of street engines. But they make really awful engines for street cars! Picture a motor you have to "refresh" every month or two, and totally tear down twice a year. One that has little or no power and miserable throttle response from idle to 5000 RPM. One that doesn't let you heat the cabin at all, not even to defog the windshield! One that takes up half of your passenger space with "special cooling" arrangements. One that gets almost 8 MPG on a good day!

That's a race motor. The up-side is that it spins to 7500 RPM and makes oodles of power up there. Plus it'll last a whole season, because you only put a couple of thousand miles a year on it--if that!! It spends its whole life at WOT and loves it, but absolutely hates to idle or run at medium RPMs.

Race cars spend almost none of their life sitting still or running at low speeds. They also don't have heat systems that dump warm air right below the motor. So they can get away with not separating the cool air above the car from the warm air below the car. Street cars, on the other hand, spend 80% of their life sitting still or at low speeds, and 95%+ of the time at very low throttle openings. The street 914s also have heaters that dump hot air right up at the front of the engine under the car. They do need all the engine tin.

Once again--a race car is not a street car.

--DD
Mueller
What you could do is call FAT and ask for thier input on the viability of running "thier" cooling fan with that arraingment on a street car that'll see traffic.

See if they'll give you some referances from other customers for street cars...

It could be one of those things that "work" but there might be better ways that are more practical...

As far as no cooling tin around the motor, I know a local guy here that did that on his street driven Bp car with no issues(stock fan setup)..of course he had ceramic coated headers which helped a lot with the heat....

craig downs
I have a fat 911 cooling system. I got it because I love the way it looks and still do.
I just ordered a 2270 kit from Jake and I'm going to switch to a dtm. I'm giving
up look for function because I want to get good reliablity and the best cooling
system I can that has been throughly tested.
Bleyseng
Post some pics when you do the install. I have seen the test results posted on how well the cooling works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.