Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TPS NLA?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dads914
Ive been trying to figure out a driveability issue with my 74' 2.0. After changing a whole bunch of things, I believe ive narrowed it down to my TPS. I need a new TPS and am having a lot of trouble finding one. All the sources I go to either say its back ordered or no longer available. Can anyone here get their hands on a new TPS or does anybody have a good used one they would let go?
Thanks for all you help again, Greg dead horse.gif
bd1308
Wait a second...

I thought the 1.7 ones were NLA, now the 2.0 ones are NLA too?

Double check that first. The late 1.7 TPS is electrically identical to teh 2.0 one. Again, its only function is to tell the computer (via pulses) how much throttle you're giving the engine.

The EARLY 1.7 systems also had a fuel cutoff on overrun, but I believe the circuitry is still present in some form on the later ones.

When I sold my 2.0 djet system, i gave away my brand new TPS.

Sometimes if you take a pencil eraser you can open yours up and clean up the traces a bit, the bucking is caused by the ECU getting confused as to which position you're in, due to gold flakes being depoisted between two tracks and both being activated in some form or another.

Two tabs on the side, a rubber block and bam! you're in.

b
McMark
ohmy.gif If this is true, this could be another major issue against D-Jet. ohmy.gif
bd1308
Someone needs to get on the ball and start making stuff. Its not IMPOSSIBLE to make a new TPS. Its just one small circuit board with traces.

But this would be one HUGE hit with concours members.

Check volvo stuff too, they use D-jet. I found some LOW priced MPSs that were for volvo's.

b
Dads914
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Aug 17 2006, 10:08 AM) *

Wait a second...

I thought the 1.7 ones were NLA, now the 2.0 ones are NLA too?

Double check that first. The late 1.7 TPS is electrically identical to teh 2.0 one. Again, its only function is to tell the computer (via pulses) how much throttle you're giving the engine.

The EARLY 1.7 systems also had a fuel cutoff on overrun, but I believe the circuitry is still present in some form on the later ones.

When I sold my 2.0 djet system, i gave away my brand new TPS.

Sometimes if you take a pencil eraser you can open yours up and clean up the traces a bit, the bucking is caused by the ECU getting confused as to which position you're in, due to gold flakes being depoisted between two tracks and both being activated in some form or another.

Two tabs on the side, a rubber block and bam! you're in.

b

Ive checked and double checked and am told they are very illusive. I did take mine apart in an attempt to clean it up and maybe revive it but it didnt get any better the "bucking" continues.
bd1308
but it runs fine (besides acceleration) with it unplugged?

also check wiring connector corrosion. Please, that problem got me stranded along I-65 in the middle of nowhere. Hard to make-up or rig FI injector point pulses.

That was a *LONG* day
Dads914
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Aug 17 2006, 10:19 AM) *

but it runs fine (besides acceleration) with it unplugged?

also check wiring connector corrosion. Please, that problem got me stranded along I-65 in the middle of nowhere. Hard to make-up or rig FI injector point pulses.

That was a *LONG* day

Yes it runs pretty close to fine with it unplugeg(just bad throtle responce but bucking goes away). I did check and clean all the connectors everything in that respect looks good. The problem just came about a couple of weeks ago and the car was running great before it started.
Dads914
I just got the phone call from the guys over at performance products and peragon parts that the TPS for the 2.0 has been DISCOED... what do I do now? I need my 914 fix at least 2x a week. I will be a ruined...where do I get some counseling?
Mueller
the TPS can be taken apart and cleaned, that might help unless the conductive path has been worn away....
krazykonrad
Try Parts Heaven or Pelican (by phone). AA has some good used ones but they will take about 2 weeks to ship them to you.
Best of luck,
Konrad 72/4 beerchug.gif
markb
Make it easy on yourself. Call Dave at GPR. 1 800 321-5432 ext 502. If it can be had, he'll get it for you.
Dads914
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 17 2006, 12:01 PM) *

Make it easy on yourself. Call Dave at GPR. 1 800 321-5432 ext 502. If it can be had, he'll get it for you.

I just found what may be the last "new" one available anywhere. Rich over at HPH is a life saver!!! beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
turboman808
Not entirely sure what they look like but couldn't you rig up a newer one to work. I've seen many cars using mustang tps before.
Dads914
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 17 2006, 12:32 PM) *

Not entirely sure what they look like but couldn't you rig up a newer one to work. I've seen many cars using mustang tps before.

While I like disney land, I dont like to mickey mouse things. So I will find the right part. Thank you for the advice. If all else fails I will try other avenues like you said.
mightyohm
You might be able to get away with this by substituting a TPS from a similar vintage d-jet car, but compared to most other throttle sensors the d-jet TPS is unique in it's design. It is completely unlike a modern TPS, most of which are based on a potentiometer instead of switches.

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 17 2006, 12:32 PM) *

Allan
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 17 2006, 11:56 AM) *

the TPS can be taken apart and cleaned, that might help unless the conductive path has been worn away....

agree.gif PLUS (I know this from experience) there are alot of good used ones out there.

I learned this at my start-up party almost 2 years ago...

Thanks Scott wavey.gif
Jake Raby
I have no less than 100 good used ones.... They hardly ever go bad.
cooltimes
How to adjust the TPS has been on Pelican for years.
Illustrated so you know what the TPS looks like. Good free advice. Works too.
Select the TPS that is for your stock 914/4 engine.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ttle_switch.htm
After image comes up, click image again for a clearer view. Print for a keeper.

MikeCool

PS that email there doesn't work anymore. That was way back when.....
Dads914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 17 2006, 06:29 PM) *

I have no less than 100 good used ones.... They hardly ever go bad.

Its funny you say that. Everytime someone has a driveability issue, everyone here says to check the TPS. So it sounds to me that it IS a source of many a problems. They must be going bad or no one would suggest to check em' after all it is a 30 year old part.
I wish I would have herd from you earlier in the day I would have picked up one of your good used ones and not spent all my $ on a new one beerchug.gif .
Thank you everyone for all your help in trying to figure out my cars issues. Greg
Dads914
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Aug 17 2006, 11:22 PM) *

How to adjust the TPS has been on Pelican for years.
Illustrated so you know what the TPS looks like. Good free advice. Works too.
Select the TPS that is for your stock 914/4 engine.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ttle_switch.htm
After image comes up, click image again for a clearer view. Print for a keeper.

MikeCool

PS that email there doesn't work anymore. That was way back when.....

Thanks Mikecool for the link, I already tried adjusting, cleaning and fiddling with it and think mine is past the adjustment fase and more like at the trash fase of life.
Thanks for your help, Greg aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.