Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are the spring dimentions for the rears?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I have a set of rear springs that are on my car and making it sit 4" taller. I have KYB shocks so they have the perches on them (I dont realy want to hear any crap about how you all can afford better shocks). The springs are also stiff as hell.

Soooo, I am looking for some replacements of the right strength, length, and ID.

What are these dimentions? For strength I am thinking 165# due to the 255 tires and the 2.7l /6.

Where are these sold? I looked at Coleman racing, but all I saw were 3" ID springs and I do not know what length I need.

Thanks you for furthering my 914 education in this area wink.gif
Mueller
you need to know how much the car weighs on the rear (and each side) in order to accurately purchase springs to get a perfect ride height without anything else being adjustable.

Mueller
/4 springs on the left column, /6 spring info on right column....

what is unknown by me is whether or not your KYB spring perch is set at the same height as the factory rear shocks, also KYBs are normally high pressure gas which act as a spring and help raise the height of the vehicle making it even more difficult to determine what free length spring length you need....

IPB Image
Dr Evil
Mike, that is in no way gonna happen. I just do not have the resourses for such things. I was figuring that I am not the first to have this engine in a 914 and the engine is not that much (if at all) heavier than the /4. Thus, some of these guys must have some set up that they would be willing to share. The ones I have now are for like a V8 or something with some weight. If it wasnt for me just having these springs and the originals being far gone I would have used the originals and maybe upgraded. I am not going to race, I just want a genearically good street ride.
Dr Evil
Thanks man! thumb3d.gif

I am pretty sure the KYBs are stock, they came off of a car with stock stuff.
Maybe I should grind off the perches and get some adjustable perch kits.

I drove it 8 miles (only) and it never settled down. I didnt know about the gas shock attribute dry.gif
dion9146
I'm having a similar issue with my Koni reds on my 914-6. I had a set of progressive 165 lbs Welmeister springs on there, and the rear was sitting about 1.5 inches higher than I wanted even with the spring perch at its lowest setting. I swapped out the springs for a set of non-progressive 140 lbs springs with a shorter overall length, and it did drop the rear about a 1/2 inch (and gave me a nicer street ride). But, I will eventually go the Coleman racing route so I can get 'full' adjustability on my ride height and corner weights. You might want to try a set of 140's to soften up the rear end.

Has anyone ever cut a coil or two out of a set of non-progressive springs ala the old hot rodder trick? Not sure why that wouldn't work, but it sure won't help your ride stiffness...

Dion
Dr Evil
I thought about cutting, but then the springs would have no resell value and still not be what I want. I was thinking 140#, but I have an offer for some 180# for $40 that is right in the range of $$ I am looking for. Just waiting on dimentions. I will measure mine today or tomarrow to compare them to stock. I'll post the info here.
maf914
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Aug 18 2006, 07:50 AM) *

Has anyone ever cut a coil or two out of a set of non-progressive springs ala the old hot rodder trick? Not sure why that wouldn't work, but it sure won't help your ride stiffness...
Dion

You're right. It will be stiffer.

A coil spring is similar to a rod , a rod that has been wound into a coil. If you shorten a rod the resulting rod will resist bending more than the original longer rod, in other words be stiffer. If you cut off a coil from a spring you are doing the same thing, shortening the rod, and the resulting spring will be stiffer. There is a formula out there that will tell you how to calculate the results. idea.gif
Dr Evil
OK, here are the data I gathered from the springs I currently have as I just removed one:

Compressed length = 11.5" (roughly, hard to measure as I can not see the top)

Extended length with the hat still bolted to the shock holding the spring = 13.5"

Extended length of the free spring = 14.25"

Total length of open shock with out spring (perch bottom to perch bottom) = 13" (.5 inches shorter thatn when a sprin was on it.)

Spring rod dia = .4375"

As it was the car was about 1.5" higher than I think it should be. What # rating do you think (guess) these springs are?
Dr Evil
What do you all think of 165# progressives? Sounds like a deacent fit.

Dimentions:

free spring length 13.5"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.