Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: air compressor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I am considering an air compressor for the garage. What is the smallest one I can get and still run tools, spray gun etc.?
Cheers, Elliot
sj914
at least a 25-30gal 5hp model would work for a lot of air tools and such, but you can never have too big of a tank.
jnp914
Walk through the Craftsman tool section and take a look at the air tools you think you might be using. All of them have a data plate that shows the air consumption. Your compressor/tank system has to be able to stay ahead of the biggest air hog tool you expect to use.
anthony
I went through this buying decision a while back. I got a 25 gallon tank that puts out about 5-6 cfm. It's plenty for most tools you'd use in your garage. The only tool that runs out of steam fairly quickly is the die grinder. Note that some paint guns ask for 12 cfm or so.

The way I figured it was that I wasn't prepared to spend the money, sacrifice the space, or deal with the installation (usually 220v) for an 80 gallon 10-15 cfm monster tank so this one does 95% of what I'd ever ask it to do and it's portable enough for doing projects around the house.
-P-
I have a 22g/5.5HP craftsman. Works fine. Die grinder and ratchet eat it up quickly though.
jnp914
If you are really going to get serious about a shop size air compressor, you might want to look at a dedicated 20 amp circuit for it. I am having a house built, and one wall of the garage has dedicated circuits for the toys.
Charles Deutsch
Check out the air compressors at http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?B...s&vertical=TOOL . Sears even has some up for auction on ebay!
Air_Cooled_Nut
When I bought my house I promised myself I'd buy a good air comprerssor, one that wouldn't have me wanting more. I bought a 6.5hp Craftsman 60-gallon vertical tank, 240V, 14.7cfm @ 90psi, 130psi max. I re-circuit breakered (for lack of a better word) my circuit breaker box and made a dedicated circuit for my compressor. Not one single solitary regret! I love it!! Save yer pennies and get the best unit you can.

I've been using my die grinder with some kind of semi-soft abrasive wheel to take the rust and paint off my 914 -- and finding more and more rust mad.gif and shoddy patch repair on the nose/headlight assemblies....mother #$@!ing previous owners ar15.gif finger.gif -- and the grinder definitely keeps the compressor cycling.

Tools are spendy! I recommend a tire inflation kit and air blower kit --> http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00916391000
Then a die grinder cuz that can be used as a drill and cutting tool and as intended, a grinder wink.gif Don't forget to get a clear face shield to protect your eyes and ear muffs. Draining the air from the tank in a garage is NOISY and you don't want to damage your ears smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.