Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Kudo for Simichrome!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
My rear license holder hadn't been off the car for about 15 years. Looked OK on the front, but I didn't realize that the back was rusting! And, the rust was accumulating on my chrome bumper.

At first glance, I was afraid the holder had broken through the plating on the bumper, since the rust was caked. So I pulled out my old standby - Simichrome.

No bumper rust, but for the first time I had to use my Dremel with the Simichrome. See the results for yourself - I'm happy!
tod914
wow looks brandy new wink.gif ill have to get some of that stuff
johannes
WOW ! this is magic. Can you tell us more about this simichrome thing ?
Price, where to find, process ... ohmy.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 18 2006, 04:27 PM) *

WOW ! this is magic. Can you tell us more about this simichrome thing ?
Price, where to find, process ... ohmy.gif

I always got mine from the local Porsche dealer, but think it's available at PP & Automotion too. It's German (naturally), comes in a small tube. Little bit goes a long way. The tube in the attached photo is over 10 years old. You should be able to find it a motorcycle shopps too. Works wonders on pot metal, aluminum, chrome, raw steel, brass, etc. I've been using it since '73. Remeber, a little goes a long way.

See the attached first photo - used less for this part than you'd put on your toothbrush. Non-toxic, has some ammonia & very fine particulate abrasives in it.

Second phot is when I got crazy & took it to my headlight motors - too shiney - let them go back to zebra stripes!
johannes
How does it actually work ?
Is that paint or something ?
Is it polish ?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 19 2006, 12:14 PM) *

How does it actually work ?
Is that paint or something ?
Is it polish ?

It is NOT a paint.
It IS a polish, containing ammonium oleate ( which is used in fruit polishing and insecticides - it's bio-effects are minimal from my understanding).
It appears (my estimation) to eliminate oxidation and preserve to a degree from future rapid re-oxidation of virtually all metals.
Produced by a German comapny named Happich.
Through the years I've used it on virtually everything - it even removes metal stains from porcelin(sp) sinks. It's been a wonder product for me for years.

I remember that motorcycle guys (of which I am not) loved it because it turned thier engine cases to a chrome-like appearance.

Simichrome effects are different from metal to metal. Iron-based metals will hold its shine longer than non-ferrous metals, but the initial effect is the same - brilliant finish.

Years ago & don't ask me why I tried this I took the motor & trans out of my 914 & spent 2 weeks with a dremel and Simichrome polishing the cases (wish I had pics). The result was dramatic - looked like they'd been chrome plated. Used a dremel because of heavy oxidation on the aluminum & magnesium parts.

By the time I was ready to re-install them they had oxidized again and, though they looked like new, no longer had the chrome-like finish. Not so with ferrous-based parts. I have some that still look like chrome & they were done in 1980!

But.....when it comes to polishing chrome plated parts - there is no peer that I'm aware of. Takes off everything without affecting the chrome. Just plain grat product to keep around for many uses.

I've heard the a product called Flitz does just as well, but haven't used it (I don't mess with success). but would love to hear from others who have.
johannes
Thank you very much for the very acurate explanations.

Now I understand how it works.

Excellent product.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(johannes @ Aug 25 2006, 07:02 PM) *

Thank you very much for the very acurate explanations.

Now I understand how it works.

Excellent product.

Johannes,

Simichrome is FAR from a new product & I've tried all the others - Mother's, Meguiars, you name it. But nothing works like this stuff. Yes, when you see the size of the tube you get, it seems small. But it takes such a small amount, that a tube lasts for years. My current tube is 12 years old, half empty & I use it on household items too (it's also great for silver polish!).

When you eventually find somehting that works perfectly, stay with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.