Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice; rear-ended someone driving home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trevorg7
92 west bound about 1800, looked down for some stupid reason (not really paying attention but not on the phone) and when I looked up there was no where to go headbang.gif . Was not going that fast at impact. The other guys car had two minor scratches but mine, as seen below, did not fair as well. Sucks as some of you know. I feared it might be worse than it apears; bumper, hood, etc but the fenders and gaps around the fenders and doors appear ok.

Fixable I think.

Any suggestions for shops in San Jose or Bay Area. McMark, what do you think?

thanks for the help.

T

Trevorg7
more sad.gif
MoveQik
Damn T....that sucks. Glad your ok.
Trevorg7
even more sad.gif
Trevorg7
last one...
SirAndy
it'll have to be pulled (as you can see, the fender well has wrinkled) ...

but, the good news is, that is easily fixable!

it'll probably cost you ~1k to get this all pulled back to spec and you'll need a new hood for sure, but this is not fatal at all ...
smile.gif Andy

PS: glad you're OK ...

PPS: let me guess, 92 close to the 880 merge? it's *always* backed up there over the hill around 18:00 ...
byndbad914
bummer, had a similar case where a guy ripped into my lane and nailed the brakes to turn into a parking lot - I was quick but not quick enough to get fully stopped. Anyway, small tap makes huge dents on 914s and mine looked almost like that. One headlight bucket was good, but the other was bent (like your right one).

I got a front clip including headlight buckets and a body shop "grafted" in most of the front and the left headlight bucket. Do NOT have them attempt to straighten a headlight bucket - that will cost bigger $ because it has all these compound angles to it. Just graft a new section onto the front. You may need both headlight buckets.

The suspension mounts should be checked first that they are still aligned in the factory location, then just graft above it. If susp somehow got bent up (doesn't look bad enough, but you don't know until you check it out) then troubles run deep.

Good luck! Here is a shot of my car after cutting the fenders off, you can sorta see my patched in quarter and bucket area.

Click to view attachment

As for shops, SirAndy (and others) know of a good shop (not cheap probably but good supposedly) and the owner has a sweet 914-6 tube car. Yeaman's Auto Body IIRC. That is where they straightened Andy's tub I think.

edit - looks like Andy beat my reply smile.gif
McMark
sad.gif That SUCKS!!!

Get the hood open and take more pictures. That's how we can see how bad it really is. I curious about the odd damage next to the passenger side headlight.
Trevorg7
Thanks guys. McMark I attempted to get the hood open but it appears without removing the backet/latch it won't open. Ill do that tomorro and take more photos.

The chip in the paint next to the passenger headlight is odd. It is almost directly above the pivot attachment for the light. Fairly clean chip and down to the metal.

McMark - I'll get more photos but is this something your shop can handle?

Let me know, we can talk offline.

T
RickS
Accidents are the worst - but at least you are safe - and the car looks very repairable. Keep us posted
Trevorg7
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 17 2006, 08:14 PM) *

it'll have to be pulled (as you can see, the fender well has wrinkled) ...

but, the good news is, that is easily fixable!

it'll probably cost you ~1k to get this all pulled back to spec and you'll need a new hood for sure, but this is not fatal at all ...
smile.gif Andy

PS: glad you're OK ...

PPS: let me guess, 92 close to the 880 merge? it's *always* backed up there over the hill around 18:00 ...

Hey SirAndy - Actually 92 West at El Camino. Usual slow down during evening commute just stupid of me for not paying attention.

T
Trevorg7
Okay. After much deliberation between parting my car out and buying another or fixing mine I am going to fix mine. Maybe I have more money than brains, not that I have any money so what am I thinking, but my car was becoming well sorted and had very little rust; none in the hell hole, longs, etc. Seemed a shame to part out.

So here goes;

Felix - Thank you for the bumpers, and headlight lids, etc.

James - Thank you for the hood

Dan (Almaden) - Thank you for the shop recommendation. Derek at Concourse Auto Body will be doing the work. Having the front end pulled, new parts hung, and the entire thing painted - keeping Adriatic Blue.

The car goes in Monday. I'll keep you posted.

T

SirAndy
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Sep 7 2006, 08:12 AM) *

... I am going to fix mine ...

smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
woohoo!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 7 2006, 09:18 AM) *

woohoo!

agree.gif
McMark
Looking forward to seeing you back on the road. driving.gif
fiid
Sorry to hear about this man - but it does happen - I've rear-ended people twice - although never in a 914.

Glad you're ok and the car is fixable.

What did you hit? Is the other party going to claim it off your insurance? I've always been lucky and able to just pay them out of pocket and the insurance co never knew.

neo914-6

Okay. After much deliberation between parting my car out and buying another or fixing mine I am going to fix mine. Maybe I have more money than brains, not that I have any money so what am I thinking, but my car was becoming well sorted and had very little rust; none in the hell hole, longs, etc. Seemed a shame to part out.

So here goes;

Dan (Almaden) - Thank you for the shop recommendation. Derek at Concourse Auto Body will be doing the work. Having the front end pulled, new parts hung, and the entire thing painted - keeping Adriatic Blue.

T

You're welcome Trev, "Jason" gave you the hood...
Trevorg7
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Sep 7 2006, 12:24 PM) *

So here goes;

T

You're welcome Trev, "Jason" gave you the hood...

You are right Felix. I have had James on my mind so much.

James - Thank you for the hood.

T
Trevorg7
What did you hit? Is the other party going to claim it off your insurance? I've always been lucky and able to just pay them out of pocket and the insurance co never knew.

I hit a newer Acura TL. Young kid driving and I was so hoping to keep it off my insurance and will to pay cash for his minor damage. Turns out four days later the kid called me and said "don't worry about it, I am sorry about your car". How cool was that!

Got lucky.

T
fiid
Nice work. Hope the repairs are fast and painless!!
Jenny
Sorry about your car. But glad to hear it's on the mend!

And good stuff about the kid apologizing. It's good to know not everyone is out to screw you, huh?

Jen
Trevorg7
It's good to know not everyone is out to screw you, huh?

I totally agree. For litigious as society can be today it was nice to hear.

T
neo914-6
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Sep 7 2006, 02:16 PM) *

I hit a newer Acura TL. Young kid driving and I was so hoping to keep it off my insurance and will to pay cash for his minor damage. Turns out four days later the kid called me and said "don't worry about it, I am sorry about your car". How cool was that!

Got lucky.

T

Those Acuras TL's are tough, a Dodge Ram truck hit a friend in his TL head on and he sustained virtually no injuries. He was so impressed he bought another to replace it...
Trevorg7
Cannot resist saying I dropped my car off this morning at Concourse for the repair work. T minus two weeks!

Pictures to be posted once available.

T
Trevorg7
Finally!! piratenanner.gif

2 months over due but my car is finally done. The delays have been painful but I'm headed out in an hour to pick it up.

Pics to follow

T
McMark
Cool! clap.gif Looking forward to pics.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 14 2006, 07:02 PM) *

Cool! clap.gif Looking forward to pics.

Here you go!

Good as new

T
dmenche914
ouch. Hope no one injured. i was on the other end in my 914, big explorer nailed me when i was stopped at a light, totalled my car, bent it so t he roof didn't fit! hurt me too, required surgury to repair my shoulder, nd about two years recovery. Dumb chick dropped her soda pop, and reached to pick it up while braking, then forgot to brake. bent her license plate frame, totalle d my car.

since you did the rear ending, it is probably listed as your fualt, so unless you have full coverage, you'll have to pick upt he bill for your car. as lonfg as no one was hurt bad,t hats the main thing.

at least you hit sqaure, looks like maybe have it put on a rack, and pulled, get a new hood,a dn paint and be good to go, not cheap, but these car are worth fixxing usually. wish i had beeter news for you other than it might have been much worse. at least it wasn't one of them tall semi truck that you would have slid under until your windshield pillers are sheared off by the trucks cargo floor. hate to loose your head! fell better now?

sorry for you misfortune, it can be repaired, i have seen worse repaired.

best of luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.