Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More tripple gauge kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
John
My kits are available without silk screening.

The kits include faceplate as shown in pic below and zinc plated back plates.

These are available for shipping immediately.

Printed instructions are included with the kit, and are augmented here in the classic threads.

PM or Email for details.

Prices are (12-23-07):

Kit shipped to you in the USA $100.00
Assembly and return shipping $50.00 (you ship me your gauges for assembly)
John
Another gauge completed with the blank faceplate.
ynotdd
please email me the order info and price,
td914@aol.com
RS22b
obviously the one gauge is Fuel level. The oil one is pressure or temp? and in what measurement scale?

whats the other gauge?

please excuse me as its been 2 years since ive seen my car. Suppose to get it back this week!

thanks,
billy
John
RS22b

The gauge with the oil can shown is from a 911 combo gauge and is oil pressure in BARS (1 bar is approximately 14.7 PSI, bar is short for barometric pressure)

The gauge on the left is the other gauge from a 911 combo gauge and is temperature. The graduations are labeled at the outer edve of the gauge itself. The first line is approximately 190 deg F.

You can get 911 combo gauges with numerical gauge faces and ones that are labeled in PSI, but the ones I have made are not numbered that way. Since I know where my car is supposed to run, I don't really need the numbers and I think they tend to just add clutter. Due to teh fact that the 911 gauges are turned slightly, the numbers would end up skewed slightly anyway.

The kits do require (2) donor gauges to make up the tripple:

(1) later 914 fuel combo gauge (1973 1/2+)
(1) 911 oil pressure/temperature gauge and sending units. (any year will do)
RS22b
thanks for the info. Sounds like a good combo to me.
Brian_Boss
Why does the 914 donor gauge need to be the late style? Can an early 914 gauge be made to work?

Brian
John
The reason my kits work with the later 914 fuel gauge is primarily to make the kits easier to assemble.

If you look at the back plate in the picture above, it shows (3) black round connectors. The 911 gauges use these connectors as do the later (1973+) 914 fuel gauges. The earlier 914 fuel gauges used crimped connectors that are a real pain to disassemble and then reassemble. The later model fuel gauges simply unplug and make reassembly a non issue.

The rear plates were designed and fabricated to use the later model fuel gauges, and I think it would be tough to adapt them for the early fuel gauges.

This is one area that I deviated from the design of the old kits.

Later model 914 fuel gauges have been found on E-bay for $5-$10.
904svo
Click to view attachment

Had North Hollywood Speedometer in Ca. do some silk screening for me.

Check out the waring lights

John
904svo,

That looks Awesome!

Great job.
914werke
Why no silk-screening?
914forme
I think most of the silk-screeners in the world are a flakey bunch of ___________! biggrin.gif

I did these 12 years or so ago now, and they where a pain in the _______ then and I am sure that time and being an art that is loosing ground, it is not gotten any better. I am sure John would love for you to say yeah, I can do them for you, ISO 9001 quality in small lots, at a reasonable price. Oh BTW, here is a sample of my work on a powder-coated surface, with a metal sub-straight.

They seem to like Tee Shirts more than making a limited run of 904 face plates. Over the years technology has caught up, but the art of silk-screening has become lost. In this day, it is limited to manufactures, and I am sure they are using a much higher technology than a photo-negative imprint between a piece of silk.

YMMV, now once they come out with a true black toner and a high enough definition printer it becomes a photoshop job, and I will mask the radii in the imprint, to save machining, then the entire kit becomes a laser cutter job, and a platters job, but cadmium platting is becoming rare also, unless you know the guys that are open because they do work for the Gov. ph34r.gif but I digress here.

John
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 9 2006, 10:18 AM) *

Why no silk-screening?

It all came down to quality and cost. The quality of silkscreening that I was offered was lower than expected and was unacceptable to me. After several months of attempting to have quality silk screening done at a reasonable cost, it was decided to offer the blank face kits up for sale.

After the first one that I assembled with no text, I decided that I liked the look even better than the ones with text. I know what the gauges are for and what they mean. The lights are a little different, but after a little use, you will know what they are for as well. I kind of like the icons on the lenses.

I still have a few kits left...

MoveQik
Props to John and his kit! I ordered one and elected to pay the extra to have him build the gauge. It looks great, works great and turn-around time was fast! beerchug.gif
John
I have still been working on these gauge kits and completing some for people.

Recently, I have found what may be the solution for adding the elusive high quality lettering and symbols to the gauge face plates. (Thanks go out to Mark S.)

I did some successful testing and have ordered some of the lettering to be done.

I will update the thread with pictures when I have the lettering in hand.

John
John
I received the lettering for the gauge faces and was able to create the first lettered faceplate.

The attached pic is the very first attempt. I will have lettered kits available later this week.

(I screwed up the Brake warning symbol, but I have worked through that application issue.)

These are MUCH MUCH better quality than any previous attempts and far surpass the old 904 style gauge kits lettering offered for sale.

The first lettered kit will ship out on Tuesday as they already committed to being first.

John
As a comparison, here is one of the old original gauge kits I purchased and was disappointed with.

scotty b
FREEKING SWEET John ! I'm in thumb3d.gif Still $90.00 ?
John
I will unfortunately need to slightly increase my asking price for the lettered kits to $100 (shipped).

I still offer the assembly of the kit if you provide me with the donor gauges. Assembly is $50 (including shipping)

I am working on rotated markings/numbers on the oil temp and pressure gauges. On the pressure gauges, I kept them in BARS 1-5. The temps are 120 - 300º F.

These will probably add about $15 (for one of each) to the totals respectively.

John
Tobra
It is better without the numbers on the temp gauge, IMHO. No numbers on the gauge it has in it now.
iamchappy
John I sent you an email. I will need this done...
iamchappy
Any news on when these will ship...
iamchappy
Got mine together, looks great! thanks John.
Steve
icon_bump.gif
Looking forward to getting one of these!!
02loftsmoor
is this still in play?
Steve
I got mine around 6 months ago. I would send him a PM. I don't know if he is monitoring this page.
John
I haven't been around in a while.

I haven't taken any orders lately and can only do them on a as time is available basis. I don't take money until they are ready to ship.

Work and family and life have taken most of my time, but if you do PM me, please keep in mind that I don't check the 914-World site very often.

If there is interest, please PM and E-Mail me through the site. I will try to respond.

I will be very busy with my job for the next 4-6 weeks (mid September). Then I should have some available time to do more of the kits/assembled gauges.

Thanks for your interest.

John
PiperSpeed
Hi john,

Do you still sell the triple gauge kits?

Thanks,

Jan
gothspeed
QUOTE(PiperSpeed @ Jan 8 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Hi john,

Thanks,

Jan

+1 ... are these parts or service still available? smile.gif
John
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 12 2018, 09:46 AM) *

Hi john,

Thanks,

Jan

Sorry for the delay. It has been a while. I can still do these, I just haven't been on 914 World as much as I used to.

My time is limited now that I am a Scout leader.

With Facebook getting so politically twisted, I can see me returning to 914World in the near future.
JmuRiz
Another reason to not be on Facebook smile.gif
I think it’s time for me to actually send you parts so I can have one made bye1.gif since 4 years ago I contacted you about it...but stuff got in the way, totally understand you being busy with life.
mb911
QUOTE(John @ Jun 21 2018, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 12 2018, 09:46 AM) *

Hi john,

Thanks,

Jan

Sorry for the delay. It has been a while. I can still do these, I just haven't been on 914 World as much as I used to.

My time is limited now that I am a Scout leader.

With Facebook getting so politically twisted, I can see me returning to 914World in the near future.

I hear that just joined for my business and everyday political, race, or something to that effect posts.. Me no like.

I however like what you do.. I maybe interested in this in the near future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.